PDA

View Full Version : 1997 nissan hardbody truck questions

preferredduck
08-09-2009, 11:50 PM
ok last night i helped my dad get this truck. after doing some reading and research it looks to have the same motor that the 240SX came with. my question is would an intake and header off a 240 bolt up to this motor. i know there may be some sensors that i am not aware of yet. we don't want to make it real fast but a little extra power for a full bed or towing would be great. any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. i told him to yank out the stocker and drop in a sr20det, then i would tow 2 boats. lol

slostang
08-09-2009, 11:58 PM
in intake and header are just going to make noise. not really gonna help the power too much IMO.

preferredduck
08-10-2009, 12:37 AM
in intake and header are just going to make noise. not really gonna help the power too much IMO.

i have actually looked into this and a short ram intake adds 8hp and 10.2 ft/lbs of torque on this motor, i have not read anything on the header yet to see if it's worth the hassle of swapping it or not. so if there was a gain of 18ft/lbs of torque that will help a little for sure. i personally would drop in an sr20det if it were up to me. this truck will not be used to haul anything really heavy, just a home depot truck i guess and matbe towing small cars home, like my hatch. i know on my hatch i can piece together a turbo kit for $300 using stock parts from other cars and i might look at the same for this. i would love a little turbo on my hatch to give it a little more juice, but my SI is the one that would get a real kit.

slostang
08-10-2009, 01:02 AM
all the power gains that you are reading about are at the flywheel. you'll be lucky to see 2-3whp out of each mod.

preferredduck
08-13-2009, 01:50 AM
all the power gains that you are reading about are at the flywheel. you'll be lucky to see 2-3whp out of each mod.

no these are at the wheels. on my Si i would get 3hp to the wheels but those motors are econoboxes and are not designed as good as say a honda from the factory. a good look at the stock airboxes on bith will reveal that. all motors are different, like an intake for a mustang adds way more power to the wheels than on a civic, or on the truck for that matter.

1439/2000
08-13-2009, 02:13 AM
i have actually looked into this and a short ram intake adds 8hp and 10.2 ft/lbs of torque on this motor

wrong. it will make noise. the end.

slostang
08-13-2009, 02:20 AM

THANK YOU!

preferredduck
08-13-2009, 11:14 PM

uhh they all make noise, including v8's.

TommyD1919
08-16-2009, 09:51 PM
The 240 and d21 engines are not as alike as you might think. I just put a sohc 240 engine in my hardbody. I thought the block and head should be the same. WRONG!! The 240 engine has alot more webbing on the back of the block which makes the truck starter not fit. The 240 engine has a main girdle which makes the truck oil pan not fit not to mention the dipstick is in the wrong place and will not fit. The truck engine mounts will bolt to the 240 block but they sit 3/4 of an inch more forward than the truck block. No problem but you have to make a tranny mount because the engine mounts now shifts everything forward. ETC.. ETC..