PDA

View Full Version : open header question

Theycall_Metue
08-07-2009, 11:40 PM
some say that you need the back pressure from the exhaust. how come some people go to the drag strip open header? i was just wondering cause me and my brother are taking his celica gts to the strip
mods are intake, exhaust

Tech5
08-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Open exhaust just pisses me off!!!!!

at the track I guess its ok but on the street GTFO the street with that crap!

As far as power Back pressure isnt what makes you gain or lose power its the tune you need to make it gain more power from a open exhaust ... If its not tune for that then leave it alone!

Theycall_Metue
08-08-2009, 12:08 AM
nah its only for the track

Tech5
08-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Make sure he gets it tuned for it, if not he will run lean and could damage the motor.... Hope it doesnt get cold out either.

81911SC
08-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Reversion? Savaging? Know anything about either of them?

Theycall_Metue
08-08-2009, 12:19 AM
another question, running 100 octane wont hurt a high compression motor will it?

Vteckidd
08-08-2009, 12:26 AM
some say that you need the back pressure from the exhaust. how come some people go to the drag strip open header? i was just wondering cause me and my brother are taking his celica gts to the strip
mods are intake, exhaust

Open header is subjective in all honesty.

Usually versus a normal sized exhaust youll pick up 5-10whp TOPS. If you have a properly sized exhaust with no cat, the difference is almost non-existent.

On that particular car, 2.5in exhaust is optimum, so if you dont have that, if you run open header youll feel a tad gain.

It wont really cause any damage because its not going to lean it out that much if any at all. O2 readings are taken after the collecter of the header anyway.

Theycall_Metue
08-08-2009, 12:30 AM
its straight piped ( no o2 on down pip )

Turbodude06
08-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Well running a stock celica gts with straight header, is going to make it slow as dog... Built cars can run straight headers cause they don't need much back pressure(Just like turbo'd cars too), thats why u always see them at the track cause those cars are actually fast, not some gay honda on the streets that thinks there fast with no exhaust:2up:.....

Vteckidd
08-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Not true. I've seen stock hondas gain power open header. The whole question is "is his exhaust restrictive"

if it is it will gain power open header. If it's not then numbers won't be that different.

As far as damage or running lean, make sure you're on 93 octane and you'll be fine

Theycall_Metue
08-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Not true. I've seen stock hondas gain power open header. The whole question is "is his exhaust restrictive"

if it is it will gain power open header. If it's not then numbers won't be that different.

As far as damage or running lean, make sure you're on 93 octane and you'll be fine
going back to the 100 octane, will it run lean?

seanrg1116
08-08-2009, 10:49 AM
^^^^^^^^ in that car 100octane is not going to make much of a difference

goi_ek
08-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Well running a stock celica gts with straight header, is going to make it slow as dog... Built cars can run straight headers cause they don't need much back pressure(Just like turbo'd cars too), thats why u always see them at the track cause those cars are actually fast, not some gay honda on the streets that thinks there fast with no exhaust:2up:.....

lol, true:cheers:

Tech5
08-08-2009, 03:49 PM
run a open header in the winter and tell me how that car last!

Vteckidd
08-08-2009, 06:03 PM
I drove around open header on my old CRX for a year, if someone can explain to me how running open header leans your motor out to the point it blows up id love to hear why.

Its a myth, its a urban legend. Its NOT true at all.

If it blows up, you were on the edge of blowing up anyway.

If its a boosted car, OPEN DOWNPIPE can actually increase boost pressure ONLY IF THERE IS A RESTRICTION PRESENT. Then in that case if you car is tuned for 10 psi and creep to 12,13,14 psi and it isnt tuned for it, then sure, it can cause detonation and damage.

If an NA car is tuned for 14.0 and for some reason it goes 14.2 open header, sure, i guess its POSSIBLE but it would be a very highly modded motor. Not a Stock Celica GTS.

100 octane wont cause your car to run lean, and it wont gain you power. It WILL destroy your factory O2 sensor though

southside
08-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Yea I have seen a lot of people running open header on motors like gsr,b16 and sohc,They don't usually mess up at all. Well then again the people I see running open header usually are spraying anyways.So of course you will have damage from that if your car isn't tuned correctly but my friend took his exhaust off his sohc.And it felt alot better from the stock dented and clogged exhaust.And he drove his car for over a year like that shit sounded so annoying though.

CaTcH22
08-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Reversion? Scavaging? Know anything about either of them? This man hit it on the dot. You gotta have SOME length to the exhaust pipe. Open header is fine, but if you cannot Scavange your exhaust gases then you will have Reversion inside the combustion chamber. The valves will be workin against each other. This goes for NA and FI. That is the same principle behind adjustable cam gears. The amount of overlap affects reversion, which affects power. NA setups can make alot of power if they set up the exhaust cam to "venturi" the air into the intake.

punkr6
08-08-2009, 07:30 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/punkr6/Dontdothis.jpg just saying...

Tech5
08-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I drove around open header on my old CRX for a year, if someone can explain to me how running open header leans your motor out to the point it blows up id love to hear why.

Its a myth, its a urban legend. Its NOT true at all.

If it blows up, you were on the edge of blowing up anyway.

If its a boosted car, OPEN DOWNPIPE can actually increase boost pressure ONLY IF THERE IS A RESTRICTION PRESENT. Then in that case if you car is tuned for 10 psi and creep to 12,13,14 psi and it isnt tuned for it, then sure, it can cause detonation and damage.

If an NA car is tuned for 14.0 and for some reason it goes 14.2 open header, sure, i guess its POSSIBLE but it would be a very highly modded motor. Not a Stock Celica GTS.

100 octane wont cause your car to run lean, and it wont gain you power. It WILL destroy your factory O2 sensor though

guess you dont know what cold air sucked into the OPEN / Header exhaust can do to a motor huh?

punkr6
08-08-2009, 08:13 PM
guess you dont know what cold air sucked into the OPEN / Header exhaust can do to a motor huh?

oh snap son... Where is the popcorn ?

Vteckidd
08-08-2009, 08:14 PM
You guys throw out big terms like Reversion but do any of you have ANY PROOF what so ever?

How much vacuum does a motor pull at closed throttle? what are the pressure differences on the back side of the exhaust valve?

I guess me and thousands of others are just lucky. Prove to me reversion happens, and it causes motors to blow up strictly from running OPEN HEADER.

Its a myth and its bad information

Tech5
08-08-2009, 08:17 PM
You guys throw out big terms like Reversion but do any of you have ANY PROOF what so ever?

How much vacuum does a motor pull at closed throttle? what are the pressure differences on the back side of the exhaust valve?

I guess me and thousands of others are just lucky. Prove to me reversion happens, and it causes motors to blow up strictly from running OPEN HEADER.

Seen it happen on many outlaw cars, It happens, google it and you will see others....Its a myth to the import scene but not to the real world.

Vteckidd
08-08-2009, 08:19 PM
So sucking in ambient air temp can cause motor failure?

Gee golly willigers, i better not let my engine breath in any air at all.

What temp do you think ENTERS the motor in the first place?

The exhaust gasses leave the combustion chamber with such force that the only time reversion could even take place is under a lift throttle condition. And even then the throttle plate is closed, and the motor is pulling vacuum anyway.

Show me one car where they took their exhaust off and their motor failed from reversion and you have conclusive evidence.

I rode around for over a YEAR OPEN HEADER REVVING TO 10,000 RPMS ON A STOCK BOTTOM END GSR.

AE86Raptor
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
The people who run open header typically also have stiffer valve springs so that they don't end up burning up an exhaust valve so that the valves don't have to necessarily rely on exhaust back-pressure to help close the valves.

Vteckidd
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Seen it happen on many outlaw cars, It happens, google it and you will see others....Its a myth to the import scene but not to the real world.
Did you not read my previous post at all. Here let me clarify it again

So you are comparing an Outlaw car to a stock celica GTS

punkr6
08-08-2009, 08:21 PM

I myself would never run an open header, especially on the street. Its just too damn loud and obnoxious. However, I do remember back in the day when vtecKidd ran around with an open header on the old crx with no issues, even on some cold winter nights street racing. As far as power goes I have seen guys at the track unbolt their exhaust trying to lower their times and the reverse happened.

Tech5
08-08-2009, 08:24 PM
So sucking in ambient air temp can cause motor failure?

Gee golly willigers, i better not let my engine breath in any air at all.

What temp do you think ENTERS the motor in the first place?

The exhaust gasses leave the combustion chamber with such force that the only time reversion could even take place is under a lift throttle condition. And even then the throttle plate is closed, and the motor is pulling vacuum anyway.

Show me one car where they took their exhaust off and their motor failed from reversion and you have conclusive evidence.

I rode around for over a YEAR OPEN HEADER REVVING TO 10,000 RPMS ON A STOCK BOTTOM END GSR.

gsr hummm does it have 1000+ horsepower?

You have your opinion and I have mine i will stick to mine as I pay/buy all my stuff so i do what keeps it running..Not to mention leaving it open header makes more and more people laugh at you and call you a ricer , clean your exhaust tone up and try not to piss people off because your 120 hp toyota celica has a open exhaust...Wanna go fast? get a Big block with 750+ hp and then run it open exhaust . These damn ricer makes me wanna run them over with their open exhaust.
Oh and you want proof , well I been there to see it happen sorry I don't know how I can show you proof when I don't . But this has been said for years longer then you and I been alive.Why ??? Because it has happen

Vteckidd
08-08-2009, 08:25 PM
I raced open header in 30 degree weather when it started snowing out, Johnzm can vouch. its a myth, at least on our cars.

You are more likely to blow your car up from an improper tune due to the weather than reversion.

Johnzm and i ran open header for years on our CRXs and EF hatches.

Tech5
08-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Did you not read my previous post at all. Here let me clarify it again

So you are comparing an Outlaw car to a stock celica GTS

OOOPPPSSS I didnt read to that point sorry I jump the gun:goodjob:

Vteckidd
08-08-2009, 08:28 PM
gsr hummm does it have 1000+ horsepower?

You have your opinion and I have mine i will stick to mine as I pay/buy all my stuff so i do what keeps it running..Not to mention leaving it open header makes more and more people laugh at you and call you a ricer , clean your exhaust tone up and try not to piss people off because your 120 hp toyota celica has a open exhaust...Wanna go fast? get a Big block with 750+ hp and then run it open exhaust . These damn ricer makes me wanna run them over with their open exhaust.
Oh and you want proof , well I been there to see it happen sorry I don't know how I can show you proof when I don't . But this has been said for years longer then you and I been alive.Why ??? Because it has happen
You are giving him advice based on experience with a 1000hp car LOL He clearly stated its a STOCK CELICA GTS.

Thats like someone asking if revving to 9000 is bad and you saying "nah man its fine, my outlaw car does it"

You would have to show me a car with a cracked valve from no contact but from some super cooling that "burned an exhaust valve"

Quick question, who on here has EVER seen a BURNED exhaust valve on an NA car?

I never have (unless the headgasket was blown and the engine melted down)

Tech5
08-08-2009, 08:33 PM
You are giving him advice based on experience with a 1000hp car LOL He clearly stated its a STOCK CELICA GTS.

Thats like someone asking if revving to 9000 is bad and you saying "nah man its fine, my outlaw car does it"

You would have to show me a car with a cracked valve from no contact but from some super cooling that "burned an exhaust valve"

Understand, But I clearly stated why I wouldnt do it...I never said HE WILL BLOW HIS MOTOR UP..I stated it can damage a motor (A) Motor...Don't try and act like I am telling him he WILL damage his motor, but I am clearly warnning him....Just because you and few buddies wanna be riced out in your ricer mobiles and never had a issue for a year (A YEAR) doesnt prove anything that it could or could not damage it... This can go both ways and back and forth with no out come of coming to an agrement due that you have your faith in what could or could not damage your car. And I have mines!

Sorry but a $3500 gsr swap versus a $25k-50K motor (A MOTOR) I will stay with my source. and keep it running.

Vteckidd
08-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Understand, But I clearly stated why I wouldnt do it...I never said HE WILL BLOW HIS MOTOR UP..I stated it can damage a motor (A) Motor...Don't try and act like I am telling him he WILL damage his motor, but I am clearly warnning him....Just because you and few buddies wanna be riced out in your ricer mobiles and never had a issue for a year (A YEAR) doesnt prove anything that it could or could not damage it... This can go both ways and back and forth with no out come of coming to an agrement due that you have your faith in what could or could not damage your car. And I have mines!

Sorry but a $3500 gsr swap versus a $25k-50K motor (A MOTOR) I will stay with my source. and keep it running.
500+ Dyno pulls between my CRXs from 190-240whp, customers cars, turbo cars,

etc etc etc etc etc

Never seen an import fail. Hell Why do Drag cars run open header? Look at MOST of the guys running open downpipe or open exhaust. They must know something we dont

4DrTeg
08-08-2009, 08:51 PM
dang 2..look wat u caused..lol

punkr6
08-08-2009, 08:56 PM
dang 2..look wat u caused..lol

x2, Hell Yea, I knew this was gonna happen when I seen the post earlier today...

4DrTeg
08-08-2009, 08:58 PM
ohh well at least he's getting information

punkr6
08-08-2009, 09:10 PM
ohh well at least he's getting information

yea, but he's probably more confussed now then before...

Warlock
08-09-2009, 09:13 AM
if your already running a straight pipe just leave it like it is. waste of time taking it off for open header. And it will keep you from getting headaches :)

JJSPEC Racing
08-09-2009, 10:11 AM

I have seen a few. The open header will not cause damage to your exhaust valves. If you run your engine with no header or manifold you will damage your exhaust valves. V8 cars can also run with open header and not damage the valves. I did an experiment one time and dropped the exhaust off one of my cars at the track. I got no improvements except a couple of hundreths off of et(probably due to less weight) and it was a lot louder. Properly designed exhaust systems will definately flow almost as good as an open header.

Theycall_Metue
08-09-2009, 10:18 AM
wow a bunch of gangster fags on i.a
did i ever stated that i run open head on the street? did i stated that the gts is 1000 hp?
did i stated im running at the track during winter when its 30-40 degrees? the track dont even open during winter due to some fag flamers like you guys. it was just a simple question. a punch of grown as men that cant handle something that is posted on the internet.
this tech is already answer so stop bi tching at each other about what you think is true

LordZed
08-09-2009, 10:23 AM

I have :D Chevy 305 two exhaust valves burned, it can happen but this wasnt due to headers or anything of the sort.

You guys are right though. scavaging is whats important. Back pressure isnt needed, it is what it says it is...pressure built up. It's not something you want. A good exhaust on lower hp cars will run better than just an open header usually becuase the longer open exhaust helps with pulling the exhaust gasses out vs. the open header. Now, you get to a high enough HP range and an open header would be fine due to the shear amount of gas comming out of the motor. If you have an open exhaust just leave it on and dont bother unbolting it and running just the header.

CaTcH22
08-09-2009, 01:38 PM
That's what I was trying to say. NOT that Reversion would EXPLODE a motor that Reversion would just hurt HP. A stock engine will have no benefit from an open header, Just be real fuckin annoying.

Tech5
08-09-2009, 03:09 PM
wow a bunch of gangster fags on i.a
did i ever stated that i run open head on the street? did i stated that the gts is 1000 hp?
did i stated im running at the track during winter when its 30-40 degrees? the track dont even open during winter due to some fag flamers like you guys. it was just a simple question. a punch of grown as men that cant handle something that is posted on the internet.
this tech is already answer so stop bi tching at each other about what you think is true

This isnt the WL and this requires a BAN!!!!:police:

Gutling
08-09-2009, 03:22 PM
the 2-3 horsepower picked up from a open header is not worth how shitty it sounds. Its loud, sounds like ass the whole way down the track. Just leave it alone, unless your in some big money competition racing where that extra .001 second off will make you win.

punkr6
08-09-2009, 04:01 PM
This isnt the WL and this requires a BAN!!!!:police:

x2. ban this guy , everyone was simply trying to help him out. Now he's insulting folks....

stillaneon
08-10-2009, 09:11 AM
x2. ban this guy , everyone was simply trying to help him out. Now he's insulting folks....

Done:police: