PDA

View Full Version : The best problem ever

AltimaCharlie
08-06-2009, 10:22 AM
so i thought i would ask you guys about a dilemma i am having. so as you may or may not know, i have a little collection of cars going on. so i am wondering, what's better: 1 bad-ass old school car, or 3 almost bad-ass/ needs a little work old school cars? my birthday is coming up and i have been paying the tag fees on all of them, plus i pay insurance on all of them. i work 2 jobs and have 2 small kids{under 5} and a wife.{plus 4 goddamn dogs/3 cats/ a house that's fucking falling apart...whoa :eek: sorry went off on a rant} so i basically never have time to touch the cars. case in point the b210 hasn't started in months and all i have done is charge the battery. i haven't made time to check the starter/battery cables/etc/etc. it is a minor issue like that,{turns over/might need points which i have tons of!} but i just dont have time. the 620 is a whole different story. it had sat for some years before i got it, and i am still running the the plugs/belts/whatever else from back then! i got the brakes/clutch fixed at garage zero and changed the oil and that's it. i drove it the other day and the belts started screaming and it overheated. so as i am sitting in a bar where the truck overheated after work, john calls with good news about my Crown. this is after my wife chewed me out about driving my stupid orange that always breaks down. she makes a good point, but needs to work on the delivery i think. so i'm thinking, why not just put all the money/time into the crown? it seems like the obvious thing to do, and i will always keep that one. but it's a toyota.....i am a nissan man and always have been. i have owned 3 240sx {coupe/hatch/vert} 3 altimas {just brought the original green one back from the grave for the wife to drive} and i daily/deliver pizza at night in my ever reliable frontier. so i guess i have a hard time letting go of my datsuns. nothing against toyota, as a child i went everywhere in a 87 toyowagon minivan/and my sisters had a great brown rusty 82 corolla/i just never had one myself. plus the 620 was the first one {old} and the b210 was the first driver. the b210 has always been so reliable, and it's great to drive. and it being the rare gx dogleg 5-speed in orange, i'll never find another just like it. the truck i could replace in the future, and hell i dont fit inside it very well. so i need a king cab anyway. so that one is not so hard to let go. so you may be thinking, you have time to write a fucking story about this issue, but no time to make a datsuns run? i am at work, i have free time. so weigh in here, i know the crown is popular so it might be a landslide, but try and remember how attached you can become to a silly little machine. heres a couple pics, because all post need a pic or 2. help me peaple, buy my cars for a fair price and promise to dry store them till i want them back. j/k :D
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc196/sorrycharlie2/Datsun%20620/datsunmisc018.jpg
new pics of crown coming soon, i bought it during a broken camara phase.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc196/sorrycharlie2/1969%20Toyota%20Crown/crown002-1.jpg

TSiFTW
08-06-2009, 10:25 AM
One bad ass ride. Just my :2cents:. I think we sometimes just get carried away and want everything. I am one to talk. I have 4 cars/trucks myself.:headslap:

SiRed94
08-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I currently have 8 cars, but have been doing a lot of thinking lately. I think I will be narrowing the selection down to 3 very soon.

gumby240
08-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah ditto just one, even though i am digging the 620, yeah like i need another project !

LeX
08-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I think 3 is a good number.

1 DD
1 running weekend/project
1 longer term / non-running project

AltimaCharlie
08-06-2009, 11:58 AM
i love this! i am getting peaple who have the same problem as me telling me to sell. we are all logical on paper....but real life......
so going by lex's idea=
frontier-dd
crown-weekend cruiser
620-long term project
i like that, but it means b210 would have to go. that's going to be hard.

Glides
08-06-2009, 06:36 PM
I have a daily, a fun old school truck and an off road vehicle. I keep 2 insured.

Can't save em all brother.

RutRoe
08-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Honestly, just prioritize and go from there. As much as we all love these things, and I currently own 5 cars and 1 parts car, they're just not that important.

Important is making sure you have reliable safe transportation to work and for the family, beyond that, it's just a hobby.

I'd keep the frontier and sell everything else besides 1 that will be your main "project" but I'd make sure the roof over your head stays put and your kids are set. Take the money you make off selling the others and use it wisely.. don't just dump it in the one you save. PArt of having a long term project that's fun is saving and working on it when you can.

Just remember, they're fun, but they're just cars. I know it's hard to take that from somone that's on their 42 or 43rd car and he's only 29, but it's the truth.

Good luck

Me86Rob
08-07-2009, 12:55 AM
dibs on the crown

puregroove
08-07-2009, 02:14 AM
Rut is right. Highest priorities come first. I can't really say much 'cause I don't have a family, YET. I have 4 cars, so I feel ya. I need to just put all my effort, funds, and time into one car, but which one?

Maybe you should play it safe and continue with the datsun/nissan lineage--selling me your crown [like I need another car :sarcasm:].

"Sometimes we have to give up the things we want most to do what's right." lol --Spiderman II.

Nah, but pick one. Weigh out the pros/con, pluses/minuses and sell the rest. There will always be another project rearing it's head on craigslist, that's for sure. Every OS car you own is rare, dude. It's easier said than done--I know. I'm sure that's how we all feel. Would you rather your wife pick which one you can keep? lol :D

You da man, Charlie! :D I'm sure you will do the right thing--sell me your crown. Oh, um. :lmfao:

F8d2Blk
08-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Thats a tough decision especially with the market right now. The crown would probably bring the most money. B210's haven't really had a huge following. It is definitely rare but I think it lacks some style, unlike the datsun 620 that obviously have a timeless style to me.

In order of sellage:
Sell one first, ultimately up to you. Then decide if you feel later that you need to sell the other.

Sammich
08-07-2009, 07:26 AM
i'm on the priorities banwagon as well IMHO

family>house>reliable transportation>dream cars

AltimaCharlie
08-07-2009, 10:01 AM
wow, what good advise all around. i swear, cant someone say keep them all!! j/k. as far as priorities, i really dont have much money in these cars at all. i mean i got less than a paycheck in each if them. everything {kids/house etc} def. comes first. in fact that is the problem, no time for the cars. and i will always keep my frontier, as my dad gave it to me. and i have just put a 2001 KA the the altima for the wife. plus her old buick still runs. as far as which one, i am keeping the Crown {sorry everybody!} i have said that from the begining. i mean it's a family car, and it's cool. you should have seen us all in the b210, it was really funny. the problem will be finding the time to cleanup the datsuns so i can sell them at a decent price. at this rate it could take me a year. i just cant sell them for nothing to somebody who is going to tear them up. so dont give me a hard time when you see them on craigs at a high price, i am just trying to scare of the sawzall freaks. i'll give good deal to the right person. i think both datsuns are staging a protest right now. they always ran great and now that i want to sell they break! well guess my decision is made, both datsuns got to go.

puregroove
08-07-2009, 10:04 AM
atta boy! I would do the same, but I'm a toyota guy, so that goes without sayin'. :D Just sayin'. :bump: --know what I'm sayin'? :crazy:

AltimaCharlie
08-07-2009, 10:46 AM
yeah toyota's are cool too :D you know what's funny, in the OS crowd the b210 gets the least attention, but normal peaple on the street go crazy for it. constant thumbs up/questions. the truck/crown, peaple barely take a second look. the good thing about the truck is it drives guys crazy in old Ford pick-ups. just drive it around mableton and 70's fords are peeling out, reving engines. they hate it!

tre2k
08-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I think 2 is a good number... but I got 4...

Big_Dave
08-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I'll play Devil's advocate here! Keepem all. You'll never find another b210, or 620, in such solid shape, for the price. This is Dave talking to ya. I'm a Datsun guy at heart, and Toyotas? Well, they just aren't Datsuns. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I could get rid of the crown if I owned it, but if your a Datsun guy at heart, sometimes late at night, after you've sold all of your Datsuns, you'll be visited by the ghosts of Datsuns Past. I knocked around in some corollas and supras for a few years, and I do have my fetish for the 1976/77 Celica. But, finally this year, We got the Datsun 710 out and running and I remembered why I love old Datsuns. Hopefully we can get together soon and talk about maybe some trading toward your b210, if you don't decide to keep it. Lol! Whatever you do don't take my advice or John's advice, 'cause you'll end up with like 30 old skool projects and no time, and no money. Don't even ask about getttin' one of our projects, 'cause we don't even have time to talk about not selling or trading it! Lol.

AltimaCharlie
08-10-2009, 02:10 PM
yeah man, there's just something about a Datsun. i am in the position to keep them, like yard wise. i dont live in a fancy subdivision or anything. maybe i need to just keep my focus on one at a time and just cover up the others so i dont feel like i'm abusing them. i am in full swing Crown mode right now. john just called with good news, i can't wait.

puregroove
08-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Charlie,

John said he'd take the Crown off your hands. Here's some motivation for you :D:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3547/3817311051_0a510f0dfe_b.jpg (http://puregroove.org)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3538/3817324481_a8a883ecda_b.jpg (http://puregroove.org)

AltimaCharlie
08-13-2009, 04:18 PM
wow!! i cannot wait to get this back! that looks great. what's everyone think of the new wheels? first time i've seen them on there myself.

Me86Rob
08-13-2009, 06:15 PM
needs beauty bands!

rbwdriven
08-13-2009, 07:21 PM
I have the same issue.

Pretty much my project car sits (84 mustang svo) It rare and parts are expensive

My wife and kids come first.

We are on a single income (mine) by the end of the month we usually have around $100 left in the checking. So the project car sits.

I cant really complain. I chose the theory of us living on one check. My wife stays home and takes care of the kids. She designs websites on the side so if we get any extra money from doing site maintenance then it goes to extra.

We have been able of gradually upgrade the family car from a 92 jeep cherokee with 222k on the clock, to a 96 accord with 185k to the currently family ride of a 01 land rover discover se7 with 60k on it.

We paid cash for the disco and would not regret doing it again. Savings is a little empty right now but we are building that back up.

Everybody tells us the LR's are expensive to work on, no "s@#$" well that is why i have tools and do my own work.

I've got my rex I drive back and forth to work and it is all good.

Just set the goals on what you want to accomplish it will happen trust me on that one. I did not think we would have a LR living on one salary but we do.

I'd love to have a little old school truck at some point in my life. Your's looks like the first one I rode in during high school.

Rich

Me86Rob
08-13-2009, 07:54 PM
I have the same issue.

Pretty much my project car sits (84 mustang svo) It rare and parts are expensive

My wife and kids come first.

We are on a single income (mine) by the end of the month we usually have around $100 left in the checking. So the project car sits.

I cant really complain. I chose the theory of us living on one check. My wife stays home and takes care of the kids. She designs websites on the side so if we get any extra money from doing site maintenance then it goes to extra.

We have been able of gradually upgrade the family car from a 92 jeep cherokee with 222k on the clock, to a 96 accord with 185k to the currently family ride of a 01 land rover discover se7 with 60k on it.

We paid cash for the disco and would not regret doing it again. Savings is a little empty right now but we are building that back up.

Everybody tells us the LR's are expensive to work on, no "s@#$" well that is why i have tools and do my own work.

I've got my rex I drive back and forth to work and it is all good.

Just set the goals on what you want to accomplish it will happen trust me on that one. I did not think we would have a LR living on one salary but we do.

I'd love to have a little old school truck at some point in my life. Your's looks like the first one I rode in during high school.

Rich

hey man lemme hold that SVO lol. ill put some work into it

AltimaCharlie
08-13-2009, 10:10 PM
That's about the point I am at too Rich. I may not be able to use all of them, but it's not like I got a lot of cash tied up in them. I am just going to focus on one thing at a time. If I ever get in a tight spot and need some cash I can clean one up and sell it. Rob-I got the beauty bands

Big_Dave
08-14-2009, 11:05 AM
And Everyone loved the crown last night. They were a little confused on what the hell it was but by far the most gangster whip in the parking lot, thanks Charlie for letting me take it to riverside last night

AltimaCharlie
08-14-2009, 01:13 PM
you can cruise it anytime man, i really appeciate all you do.

rbwdriven
08-14-2009, 08:40 PM
My issue is I do have a lot of money tied up into mine.
I have an excel spreadsheet with receipts totals.
I'm over 10k, basically with restoring the car firewall backwards.
I've owned the car over 10 years and put a 1/4 mile on it.
I just sits and I work on it when I can.

But the thing is it's hella rare and by the time I'm done it will be a fun family ride.

That is what your crown looks like a hella dope ride.

nisman
08-17-2009, 07:51 AM
ummm, its safe to say there is no reliable old school car, you must also think about how much $ you can get outta all those badass rides.. probably not as much as they mean to you.. (atleast in my case) i guess im going against the grain here.. btw i am also an altima owner.. good cars.. just not too sporty. dibbs on the 210 if you do get rid of it!

Me86Rob
08-18-2009, 12:45 AM
ummm, its safe to say there is no reliable old school car, you must also think about how much $ you can get outta all those badass rides.. probably not as much as they mean to you.. (atleast in my case) i guess im going against the grain here.. btw i am also an altima owner.. good cars.. just not too sporty. dibbs on the 210 if you do get rid of it!

thats not true. i have had one problem with my wagon, and i dont think puregroove has had anything wrong with it ever.