PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Beginners hunting

khaxnguyen
08-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I like being outdoors and doing things outdoors, so i decided i want to go hunting with my friend's dad. I dont want to tell him yet until i get everything i need so i wont disappoint him.
WHAT DO I NEED?
i know i need a safety class but where?
hunting license?
then a fire arm? advice/tips people?

andrewkd16
08-04-2009, 10:45 PM
^safty classes are good they will teach you alot if you have never really gone hunting and just about being responsible, about where well depends on where your located lol but here is some info about them: http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=306 , and about a firearm...yeah unless you want to chase it with a knife or something (JK) but might need some camo...which i do have alot of hunting stuff for sale if your interested.

khaxnguyen
08-04-2009, 11:27 PM
thanks..
is this the real hunter education class?
http://beasafehunter.org/
i hope i'm not wasting me time. heh heh i heard u cna do it online but i'm not sure if it's here.

andrewkd16
08-04-2009, 11:32 PM
^hmm idk i am pretty sure you would have to go, its a class and you would have to call the dnr to find out the location of the class around your area. i did it yeeeeeaaaaarrrrrrrrrsssss ago lol so best thing would be to call im not going to say its a fraud but they can tell ya.

andrewkd16
08-04-2009, 11:33 PM
so just call and see what they say im not saying you cant do it online (everything is moving electronically now lol i did it 8 years ago)

Truegiant
08-04-2009, 11:41 PM
In GA you can do half of the class online. You have to take the test with a moderator. If your near a bass pro shop they have free classes there for you to either take the whole class or just the test.

What kind of hunting are you going to want to do?
How much money are you looking to spend?
Are you familiar with firearms?

Pick up a copy of the GA hunting regs and read them over. Find out what you want to hunt and let us know. If your lookingto hunt on a budget dont fall into the hype of expensive camo and 1"moa guns. I built a cheap 8mm mauser for around $150. It has an updated stock, scope, and ammo is cheap. I built a cheap little mossberg shotgun for around $160.

ASK QUESTIONS> Learn from someone who has been around. hunting is not one of those things you can just go buy stuff and sit in the woods.

I could literally go on and on and on for days with info and do's and dont's. keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Slomaro Z28
08-05-2009, 11:16 AM
For a gun I'd think something like a .243, .257, .270 or .30-.30. People will probably say some of these are too small, but my uncle only has one arm and has killed more deer then I can count with a .243. Any should be a good beginner gun and not break the bank.

Truegiant
08-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Bullet size doesnt matter to much out to around 150yds. Shot placement is what kills people/things.

khaxnguyen
08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
In GA you can do half of the class online. You have to take the test with a moderator. If your near a bass pro shop they have free classes there for you to either take the whole class or just the test.

What kind of hunting are you going to want to do?
How much money are you looking to spend?
Are you familiar with firearms?

Pick up a copy of the GA hunting regs and read them over. Find out what you want to hunt and let us know. If your lookingto hunt on a budget dont fall into the hype of expensive camo and 1"moa guns. I built a cheap 8mm mauser for around $150. It has an updated stock, scope, and ammo is cheap. I built a cheap little mossberg shotgun for around $160.

ASK QUESTIONS> Learn from someone who has been around. hunting is not one of those things you can just go buy stuff and sit in the woods.

I could literally go on and on and on for days with info and do's and dont's. keep us updated on what you decide to do.
i'll be hunting with a friend's dad if/everytime i go. He'll be the one teaching me. because he's so into it, i dont want to tell him i want to hunt with him and excite him if i end up not bein so dedicated to hutning.

FlipKing
08-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I use a .270. Powerful enough to take down game but has good bullet travel with minmal kick. Just a suggestion. Take the DNR hunter safety course too

tofu-eg
08-16-2009, 08:15 PM
go to basspro..they can answer all your question.. most of the time..:goodjob: