PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Gerber Guardian Boot Knife w/ sheath

Truegiant
08-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Well.. Hmm.. Where to start..

My B-Day is coming up. My grandfather called me the other day and asked me if I had a need for a boot knife. I told him I owned three and had no need for one and now I have one on the work bench outside.

I hate to be a dick and ask for a reciept so I will more than likely sell it on here or GON. Its a well made knife with an amazingly simple/clean sheath. It wouldnt be a bad knife except for I have a custom made Randall Boot Knife that was WAY more expensive. I have found online that these things go for around $55 -65.

Anyone actually need a boot knife? Tell what you think the tactical advantages of a boot knife are, if any.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/truegiant/SD-22122_1_.jpg

Danny
08-04-2009, 08:27 AM
I am not really sure, never really thought about having one.

advantages:
- deep concealment
- backup knife
- may go unnoticed by enemy in intial pat down (i would classify this as luck, not really an advantage). Not so likely against a trained enemy, more so with your punk robber.
- extremely effective at bad breath and closer distances
- element of surprise: like most edged weapons, enemy doesn't know there is a knife in play until its too late a lot of times
- fixed blade limits the use of fine motor skills

With disadvantages being:
- hard to access in a fight
- slow presentation
- takes 2 hands to drawl
- forces you into a position where you are not very proactive in a fight (curreled in a ball try to reach it on the ground, or on one knee while up right)

I have never really pondered the idea, and thus my pro/con list is probably way off. But in summary it seems the best advantage is deep concealment and the worst advantage is deep concealment lol.