PDA

View Full Version : Cool looking spider and web

00CelicaGT
08-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Ive been looking at this spider web for the past 3weekends, and the spider was never in the web. But the 1 day i just happen to have my camera he was inside. i had to get pretty close to the web cuz i only had my 18-55mm lens, im extreemly scared of spiders. but anyway here are the pics. they're not the best cuz i was shaking like a leaf cuz i was so scared. lol

does anyone know wat type of spider this is?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/oocelicagt/DSC_4450.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/oocelicagt/DSC_4451.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/oocelicagt/DSC_4453.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/oocelicagt/DSC_4454.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/oocelicagt/DSC_4455.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/oocelicagt/DSC_4457.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/oocelicagt/DSC_4458.jpg

j0nbunklah0m
08-03-2009, 07:54 PM
whoa thats a weird ass spider. give u 5$ to eat it :)

edit: record a video and throw a small bug into the web. taht would be cool to see

guinness
08-03-2009, 08:10 PM
that's a funnel-web or house spider as they are called.here's the article and link that talks about them.

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1548/eb1548.html

Funnel-web Spiders (Family Agelenidae).
The aggressive house spider, Tegenaria agrestis, (sometimes called the hobo spider) is a member of the family Agelenidae, commonly called the funnel-web spiders or funnel weavers. These spiders build funnel webs in dark, moist areas, often in basements, and sit in the mouth of the funnel waiting for prey. The funnel opens at both ends, and the web expands outward into a broad, slightly curved sheet. When prey, usually an insect, becomes entangled in the web, vibrations from its struggle alert the spider, which dashes out to bite the prey. The subdued prey is quickly carried into the funnel (Fig. 5).

In Europe, members of the genus Tegenaria are often called house spiders since they are common inhabitants of houses and adjacent vegetation. Only a single species of Tegenaria, T. chiricahuae, is native to the United States. It occurs in caves and other dark places in Arizona and New Mexico. The other six species of Tegenaria found in the United States are of European origin. They were probably introduced to this country very early through commerce. Three species occur in the Pacific Northwest.

Tegenaria domestica, the domestic house spider, is common in both the Northeast and the Northwest, while Tegenaria gigantea, the giant house spider, has been collected to date in the Pacific Northwest and in Winnipeg, Canada. Neither of these two species are known to cause serious bite reactions in humans. T. gigantea has been encountered more frequently than T. agrestis in the last few years.

Tegenaria agrestis, the aggressive house spider, is one of the most common spiders found in houses in the Pacific Northwest. Although this spider was first reported from Seattle in 1930, it did not become common in the Pacific Northwest until the 1960s. In the Pullman-Moscow, Idaho area, it is clearly a prevalent spider in basements and in window wells of houses. It rarely climbs vertical surfaces and is usually found only on the ground or lower floors. We have called it the "aggressive house spider" because it bites with little provocation when cornered or threatened.

Description.
Tegenaria agrestis is a relatively large, swift running spider. Mature adults range from 4—5 cm diameter (1 to 13/4 inches) including legs (Fig. 7). As with most spiders, males can be identified readily by the expanded, swollen tips of their palps.

Sexually mature males and females are abundant from mid-summer (July) through fall.

During this period males tend to wander relatively long distances in search of females. Eggs are laid into a spherical silken sac spun by the female, usually in September or October in the Pullman area. The sac is then placed within or adjacent to the funnel, usually on the underside of a rock or other object. This sac is usually covered with a thin layer of soil, wood chips, or other debris, including prey. The debris coated sac then is often covered with another layer of silk. Eggs hatch the following spring. Most Tegenaria molt about 10 times over a span of 2 years before reaching sexual maturity. Immatures are commonly found wandering in the spring searching for web sites.

Investigations of aggressive house spider bites show the venom produces skin injuries, or lesions, similar to those produced by the brown recluse. Therefore, ulcerating lesions of this type occurring on humans in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho are probably due to bites by the aggressive house spider. Surprisingly, males are somewhat more venomous than females.

Bites commonly occur as a spider is squeezed against the body when a homeowner picks up a firewood log with a spider on it or when a spider is located in an article of clothing and is squeezed when the clothing is put on.

The initial bite is not painful. It has been described as producing a very slight prickling sensation. However, a small, insensitive, hard area appears within 30 minutes or less, and is surrounded by an expanding reddened area of 5—15 cm in diameter (2—6 inches).

Within 15 to 35 hours the area blisters. About 24 hours later the blisters usually break, and the wound oozes serum. A cratered ulcer crusts over to form a scab. Tissues beneath the scab may die and slough away. In some cases the loss of tissue may become so severe that surgical repair is needed. The fully developed lesion can vary from about 1/2 to 1 inch or more in diameter. Lesions may take several months to heal, and frequently leave a permanent scar.

Systemic illness may or may not accompany the bite. However, the most common symptom is a severe headache, sometimes occurring within 30 minutes, usually within 10 hours, that does not respond to aspirin. The headache may persist for 2 to 7 days, and is sometimes accompanied by nausea, weakness, tiredness, temporary loss of memory, and vision impairment. The symptoms are similar to those experienced with migraine headaches. Bites by Tegenaria agrestis have not caused a death. In Europe, their area of origin, there are few records of bites by these spiders causing medical problems. However, a person bitten by one of these spiders should seek immediate medical treatment.

Mr. Clean
08-03-2009, 08:19 PM
fuck

that.

00CelicaGT
08-03-2009, 08:52 PM
damn!!!!!!!!!!

if i would of known all that i would of killed that bitch. next weekend im bringing a can of raid wit me!!!

reps for finding all that info

Princess12
08-03-2009, 09:54 PM
You might need more than Raid! A gallon of gas and a lighter should do it.

00CelicaGT
08-04-2009, 10:14 AM
id bring a gernade if i could but it's on front porch of my friends house. lol

Princess12
08-04-2009, 10:40 AM
id bring a gernade if i could but it's on front porch of my friends house. lol

Lol! He won't mind. ;) You are doing it for his benefit too!

puregroove
08-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I have some fireworks leftover. :D

JITB
08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
it would be funny if u came out there the next day, and he had a life size funnel so u cna walk in it...lol

mocha latte cupcake
08-04-2009, 11:27 AM
those spiders are win.... and fail.

i walked by one and it coward in fear....

so i was like whats that... i got within a foot of it and it charged out of its tunnel.
so i got the pressure washer set to critical mass level, boom thorax shot.

MR2DR
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM

so i was like whats that... i got within a foot of it and it charged out of its tunnel.

:lmfao:

00CelicaGT
08-04-2009, 05:27 PM

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Kamikaze
08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I've never seen one of those before. Pretty neat way to build a web.

I saw this joker downtown a couple weeks ago.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2529/3735838534_16fd1a57a9.jpg

guinness
08-04-2009, 07:10 PM

those spiders are actually kind of funny to watch.when they feel threatened or you are getting too close for their comfort,they will sit just in the same spot and position that the one above is,and shake their web as a defense mechanism to try and scare "threats" away.they also do some really cool designs in their webs too.they are commonly refered to as the banana spider because of where they are normally found and for their bright yellow underside.

however,the banana spider is known as the brazilian wandering spider.these spiders are aggressive and very venomous and not intimidated by size (can attack people when threatened).

the odd part about the banana spider is that studies indicate only 33% of the spider bites actually contain any significant amount of venom,but those that are injected with venom could be in serious danger!

if you are bitten by a brazilian wandering spider (phoneutria spp.), you should seek immediate emergency treatment as the venom could possibly be life threatening.the phoneutria not only has a potent neurotoxin,but is said to have one of the most excruciatingly painful spider bites of all spiders due to its high concentration of serotonin.

despite the banana spider’s reputation as the world’s deadliest spider,there are multiple studies that dispute the ability for the spider to actually kill a human and one study suggested that a little over 2% of these spider bites (mostly in children) were serious enough to require antivenom.

on the other hand,there are other studies suggesting that the banana spider is indeed the most toxic spider in the world based upon toxicology studies.

funny how something so beautiful can be such a deadly thing to get near also and to add insult to injiry,they are also very aggressive to anything.kind of fucked-up huh?

chameleon30038
08-04-2009, 08:20 PM
fuck

that.

:lmfao: :lmfao:

Me86Rob
08-05-2009, 02:52 AM
thats a black hole spider! its makin a black hole. run

Princess12
08-05-2009, 08:09 AM
those spiders are actually kind of funny to watch.when they feel threatened or you are getting too close for their comfort,they will sit just in the same spot and position that the one above is,and shake their web as a defense mechanism to try and scare "threats" away.they also do some really cool designs in their webs too.they are commonly refered to as the banana spider because of where they are normally found and for their bright yellow underside.

however,the banana spider is known as the brazilian wandering spider.these spiders are aggressive and very venomous and not intimidated by size (can attack people when threatened).

the odd part about the banana spider is that studies indicate only 33% of the spider bites actually contain any significant amount of venom,but those that are injected with venom could be in serious danger!

if you are bitten by a brazilian wandering spider (phoneutria spp.), you should seek immediate emergency treatment as the venom could possibly be life threatening.the phoneutria not only has a potent neurotoxin,but is said to have one of the most excruciatingly painful spider bites of all spiders due to its high concentration of serotonin.

despite the banana spider’s reputation as the world’s deadliest spider,there are multiple studies that dispute the ability for the spider to actually kill a human and one study suggested that a little over 2% of these spider bites (mostly in children) were serious enough to require antivenom.

on the other hand,there are other studies suggesting that the banana spider is indeed the most toxic spider in the world based upon toxicology studies.

funny how something so beautiful can be such a deadly thing to get near also and to add insult to injiry,they are also very aggressive to anything.kind of fucked-up huh?

I'm pretty sure these are almost harmless to humans. This is a Garden Spider, Argiope aurantia. They do posess a venom that has been shown to maybe posess neurotoxins similar to the Black Widow; however, it is so incredibly mild that it is only considered lethal for insects. A bite from one of these most likely results in an itchy or sore welt that resolves in 24 hours. Caution should only be taken if the individual bitten has an allergy to bee stings or other insect bites. They are actually incredibly helpful and eliminate a lot of unwanted insects. I think you may be talking about its South American relatives which are much more aggressive and lethal for humans.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Argiope_aurantia.html

americanctm
08-05-2009, 08:23 AM
damn i knew i shouldn't have entered this thread.

thats a black hole spider! its makin a black hole. run

Man if some genetically engineered spiders could actually do that? :surrender

guinness
08-05-2009, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=Princess12]I'm pretty sure these are almost harmless to humans. This is a Garden Spider, Argiope aurantia. They do posess a venom that has been shown to maybe posess neurotoxins similar to the Black Widow; however, it is so incredibly mild that it is only considered lethal for insects. A bite from one of these most likely results in an itchy or sore welt that resolves in 24 hours. Caution should only be taken if the individual bitten has an allergy to bee stings or other insect bites. They are actually incredibly helpful and eliminate a lot of unwanted insects. I think you may be talking about its South American relatives which are much more aggressive and lethal for humans.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Argiope_aurantia.html[/QUOTE=Princess12]that is always a possibility.they look so closely similar.it's almost hard to just tell them apart just by glance or lookking at them.

Nittanys1
08-05-2009, 10:39 AM

We have a ton of these spiders around my house, they are fun to watch while they shake!

oneSLOWex
08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
i fucking HATE spiders!!

SPOOLIN
08-06-2009, 07:48 AM
there was one of those funnel webs and spider at main stream a couple of months back, yeah i sprayed with brake parts cleaner.

Kevykev
08-06-2009, 07:57 AM
LOL @ the replies in here.

I'm scared as hell of spiders too - BURN YOUR HOUSE, IT'S THE ONLY WAY!!!

Seems like a less potent version of the Brown Recluse in terms of the venom.

Kamikaze - I saw a writing spider the other day as well, in my back yard.

Kamikaze
08-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Yeah I'm not fond of spiders. As close as I was to that one to get that shot is a rare occurrence.

T.C.
08-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I probably have about 50 of those living in my yard. I recently found 4 Black Widows around our other garage I think there is an infestation out there. Im glad spiders dont bother me at all, but Im terrified of wasps and scream like a little girl if one lands on me.

00CelicaGT
08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I probably have about 50 of those living in my yard. I recently found 4 Black Widows around our other garage I think there is an infestation out there. Im glad spiders dont bother me at all, but Im terrified of wasps and scream like a little girl if one lands on me.

if i had an infestation of spiders i would move.
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: