PDA

View Full Version : front end popping noises?

changaroo
08-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Okk so recently I've been getting this popping noise during accel. Doesnt matter if i take off hard, or slow.

The sound goes away after I get the car moving. I really have no clue what it can be. I can definitely feel the popping noise through the car.

At first I thought it was the front sway bar, but the noise still occurs during straight line accel which makes me think its something else.

My drivers side lower ball joint was changed a few months ago, and I know there is a tear in the passenger side balljoint, however the popping noise feels like its coming from the center / drivers side. Its hard to pinpoint.

The only thing I can really think of off the top of my head is the subframe bolts, but I really have no clue...

Any idears?

00CelicaGT
08-03-2009, 04:13 PM
may possibly be the front or rear trans mounts. im not familiar wit that body accord but i had the same problem in my celica and i found the front trans mount was broken

ghettosc
08-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Could also be from worn strut mounts or control arm bushings.

Frög
08-03-2009, 04:34 PM
^^ yeah what i was thinking..

changaroo
08-03-2009, 04:53 PM
i have full coils so i'm not sure if that would be the cause... they arent that old.

my trans mounts are 3 months old :(

ill check the control arm bushings i guess.

Meatball546
08-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Check the wheel bearings and CV joints too.

changaroo
08-03-2009, 06:05 PM
drivers side wheel bearing was replaced along with the lower ball joint. unless the races werent pressed in correctly i dont think it would be the cause.

the axles were custom built by raxles, and i would hope they would not have gone bad already.

CaTcH22
08-03-2009, 08:16 PM
May be a problem inside the trans. I had a prelude that had internal tranny issues do the same thing.

changaroo
08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
mmmm... i hope not, freshly rebuilt trans :(

i guess ill jack up the car tomorrow after work and see whats up.

chameleon30038
08-03-2009, 09:13 PM
does your have a halfshaft?? if so check for play @ the bearing.

changaroo
08-03-2009, 09:30 PM
halfshaft aka intermediate shaft? its like an axle extension bolted onto the block?

jdm>usdm
08-04-2009, 10:04 AM
My intergra does the same thing. Except it does it not only when I accelerate, but when I come to a stop also. It doesnt seem to affect its driveablity in any way though, so Im not terribly worried. Drove mine all the way up to nashville and it did fine.

I have no idea whats causing it on mine either.lol So Ill stay tuned on this thread.

jdm>usdm
08-04-2009, 10:05 AM
halfshaft aka intermediate shaft? its like an axle extension bolted onto the block?

correct

ejohnson88
08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Eh this may not apply but since you said you have custom axels... I know my custom set of axels will make a kind of clicking popping noise when accelerating or turning... They say one thing you can do is play with ride height and see if that changes anything.... Eh worth a try I guess.

Barefoot
08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
nothing here is going to help u. everybody can guess at it all day long but a popping sound from the front of the car isnt going to get u a proper diag. this is something u will have to figure out on your own. get under the car with a flash light and start checking everything.

changaroo
08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
bout to go jack up the car :)

will post back with my findings.

off to find some 2x4's to drive up on lol.

CaTcH22
08-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Is your car real low?? The axles may be in a bind causing the popping. Does it vibrate the car under acceleration?? Need more info.

H1Cblacknight
08-04-2009, 07:53 PM
What about the rings/clips that go on the end of the cv axles where they are placed into the tranny? If something was wrong with the tranny could they be worn down? And cause the axles to slip? Did you forget to tap the axles into the tranny? Signs of fluid anywhere>?

Since you have custom axles i would have to agree on the popping being normal sometimes.

changaroo
08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
car is pretty low, but i have been running these axles for about a month now. it was fine before.

i just jacked up the car and took a look. doesnt seem anything is loose. shook both wheels and they are solid.

i'm 99% sure the axles are installed correctly. i was pulling on the axle where it goes into the intermediate shaft, and there is about 2-3mm of lateral play, but i think that is normal.

sway bar end links look good, LCA bushings dont look dry rotted, the subframe bolts arent loose.

*shrugs*

i did notice something a while back though, there had been a brownish leak... almost like diarrhea water, but i never really paid close attention to it. since then, the diarrhea water has dried, and i was able to trace it to the rear motor mount. could this be the issue?

i thought motor mounts made more of a clunking noise instead of popping?

anyways, reps for everyone who tried to help so far.

00CelicaGT
08-05-2009, 05:34 PM
like i said before im not familar wit that body accord, so this may seem like a stupid question. is that rear mount a Hydraulic mount? if so then that maybe the cause of the noise ur hearing. actually id put money on it that its a broken mount.lol

u might want to try this to see if its 1 of the mounts, ur gonna need anothe person to help.
u can do it with a manual or an auto.

1. remove the hood. u dnt want it to slam shut during the test.
2. find a road wit little to no traffic or parking lot, put the car in lowest "D" gear (this will give u the most torque to rock the engine) or 1st gear if a manual.
3. have other person watch engine
4. step on the gas 3 times quickly. (best way is to count to urself 1,2,3 as u step on the pedal).
5. other person should see the engine rock forward or backwards, driver should hear clucking/poping noise.

this is how i found out which mount was broken on my celica. hope this helps

Barefoot
08-05-2009, 06:04 PM
like i said before im not familar wit that body accord, so this may seem like a stupid question. is that rear mount a Hydraulic mount? if so then that maybe the cause of the noise ur hearing. actually id put money on it that its a broken mount.lol

u might want to try this to see if its 1 of the mounts, ur gonna need anothe person to help.
u can do it with a manual or an auto.

1. remove the hood. u dnt want it to slam shut during the test.
2. find a road wit little to no traffic or parking lot, put the car in lowest "D" gear (this will give u the most torque to rock the engine) or 1st gear if a manual.
3. have other person watch engine
4. step on the gas 3 times quickly. (best way is to count to urself 1,2,3 as u step on the pedal).
5. other person should see the engine rock forward or backwards, driver should hear clucking/poping noise.

this is how i found out which mount was broken on my celica. hope this helpsor just use a flash light an inspect each mount for anything abnormal.