PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods Brake emergency....

LS2ner
08-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Ok, so on my Girls Taurus she started having this problem where after driving for long periods of time (30-60 mins) at around 55-60+ mph, her brakes wouldnt work the first time you pushed them. It wasnt bad, but the first time it wouldnt slow down, and the second it would pull slightly to the left. The brake pedal was kinda spongy and had a lot of plat at the top. Ive been thinking it was either a) the brakes need bleed, B) The master cylinder is out or C) the brake line is bad.

Anyways, I changed the pads today and bleed the breaks a little and things have gotten alot worse. The first time you hit the brakes no matter what it just sinks to the floor. The second time it slightly slows and the third it stops nicely. The brake pedal is still spongy and takes awhile to return back to regular position.

Ive done everything i can and im not sure what else it could be. Any suggestions?

JDM onlyy
08-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Sounds like the master cylinder. Cause my master cylinder did that too....but it wouldn't fall immediately down to the floor, sounds like yours is worst then mine.

speedminded
08-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Does it ever get a pedal when you bleed the brakes? Is it losing any brake fluid?

LS2ner
08-04-2009, 07:17 AM
No break fluid is lost. And no, no pedal on bleeding. The old guy at autozone where i got the pads said "It could be a tear in the innerlining of the brake line causing fluid to flow improperly back to the reservoir."

speedminded
08-04-2009, 02:13 PM
No break fluid is lost. And no, no pedal on bleeding. The old guy at autozone where i got the pads said "It could be a tear in the innerlining of the brake line causing fluid to flow improperly back to the reservoir."lololol! riiight...and what was he saying you needed to buy to fix it?

Have you located where the brake fluid is going? It's can't just disappear.

Eksgot_ti
08-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Sounds like the master cylinder, lines usally leak could be a wheel cylinder or caliper but agian they both usally leak when they go bad best thing would be to check for leaks. Prolly check the backs of the tires sometimes it will catch it and throw it on to the splash shield and wont be as noticeable as a drip

LS2ner
08-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Well thats the thing, i think its just not sending brake fluid to the calipers at first. Thats why i think its the cylinder. No leaks, and the rears are drums. Gonna have someone check it out this weekend. I have no idea how hard it is or even where to begin to change a master cylinder.

speedminded
08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Well thats the thing, i think its just not sending brake fluid to the calipers at first. Thats why i think its the cylinder. No leaks, and the rears are drums. Gonna have someone check it out this weekend. I have no idea how hard it is or even where to begin to change a master cylinder.Simple hand tools is all that is needed.

If the plunger is leaking enough for fluid to vanish then it will most likely be running down the front of the brake booster.

batlbrandon
08-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I would start at the master cylinder, it could be a caliper but they usually don't just go bad. If it is soft and you pump it and it gets harder then that would make me lean towards the master.

LS2ner
08-09-2009, 02:56 AM
I would start at the master cylinder, it could be a caliper but they usually don't just go bad. If it is soft and you pump it and it gets harder then that would make me lean towards the master.

Yea i dont think it is the caliper. The first pump there is no pressure at all. The second is soft with slight pressure at full extension, the third is full stop. If i give it gas after that for a few seconds i have to repeat the process all over again. Drop it off at the shop friday, hopefully they will figure it out.