PDA

View Full Version : anyone have any DIY on Valve Covers?

blacknightteg
08-02-2009, 08:48 PM
im wanting to paint my Valve cover soon, and i want to know if anyone has or knows of where to go or could write me up something showing me how to paint my valve cover. thanks!

Hondatwin23
08-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Honda-tech.com

blacknightteg
08-02-2009, 09:47 PM
man. i know there on honda-tech, but i use this forum. if someone has done it before and has a write or something, i would love to have it posted on here in this section.

Ilikemineclean
08-02-2009, 09:48 PM
i took mine off last night, sanded it down with a electric sander and taking it tom to millers to get it powedercoated.

blacknightteg
08-02-2009, 09:50 PM
lol dude im trying to do this myself lol. not have someone else do it mike, come on man! lol.

phuoc_dat
08-02-2009, 09:53 PM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242700

Did u not check out the DIY?

blacknightteg
08-02-2009, 09:54 PM
THANK YOU SIR, REPS. this was exactly what i was looking for.

PURP
08-02-2009, 09:56 PM
take it off. Aircraft stripper, dry, paint, let dry. Put back on. :goodjob: geez Davison... haha

Ilikemineclean
08-02-2009, 09:57 PM
ooooh gotcha...my bad

good luck with it :goodjob:

blacknightteg
08-02-2009, 10:00 PM
take it off. Aircraft stripper, dry, paint, let dry. Put back on. :goodjob: geez Davison... haha

listen here kevin!

IMPORTchic
08-02-2009, 10:27 PM
This might be a totally retarded question but I feel like thread jacking...

.......I was told by my dad(car salesman for over like 20yrs now) to not take my valve cover off b/c you can mess up the time? or something like that. I dont know anything about it. Wanted to paint mine at one point though until he kept telling me that. And then a friend of mine with a RSX DID have that happen. I dont know if they were messing with something else though while they had it off.

EDIT: My dad is a racecar driver also...... he is known to be a complete dumbass though. lol

Ilikemineclean
08-02-2009, 10:30 PM
ive painted a couple of mine...never had that problem idk tho

BB1_Luda
08-02-2009, 10:51 PM

.......I was told by my dad(car salesman for over like 20yrs now) to not take my valve cover off b/c you can mess up the time? or something like that. I dont know anything about it. Wanted to paint mine at one point though until he kept telling me that. And then a friend of mine with a RSX DID have that happen. I dont know if they were messing with something else though while they had it off.

EDIT: My dad is a racecar driver also...... he is known to be a complete dumbass though. lol

No you will not mess anything up.
Its pretty much impossible to screw up unless you purposely mess with the timing belt or cam gears.

I think its about 8 nuts you have to unscrew on the H22.
Pull it off, sand it or use paint remover (aircraft remover)
Paint. (3 or more coats)
Then just slap it back on there. Pretty simple.

Here is when I did mine about 2 years ago on my old prelude.

OLD:
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/BB4_Lude/Valve%20Cover/Jan03_0004.jpg

Sanded:
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/BB4_Lude/Valve%20Cover/DCFC0169.jpg

Painted:
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/BB4_Lude/Valve%20Cover/DCFC0174.jpg

Done:
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/BB4_Lude/Valve%20Cover/DSCN1145-2.jpg

PURP
08-02-2009, 10:58 PM

.......I was told by my dad(car salesman for over like 20yrs now) to not take my valve cover off b/c you can mess up the time?

EDIT:he is known to be a complete dumbass though. lol

lol...

:headslap:

speedminded
08-02-2009, 11:47 PM
im wanting to paint my Valve cover soon, and i want to know if anyone has or knows of where to go or could write me up something showing me how to paint my valve cover. thanks!

Materials

Valve cover
Painters tape
Razor blade
Shop towels by the roll
Aluminum Foil turkey pan
Klean-Strip Aircraft Remover - 1 quart
Paint Thinner - 1 quart
Sandpaper - 1000, 1500, & 2000 grit
3m Sandpaper Block

Duplicolor Premium Self-Etching Primer
Duplicolor or VHT Engine Paint (both companies are together now)

Cleaning

Place the valve cover in the foil pan and heavily coat with aircraft remover using a paint brush or tooth brush.

Let it sit for 15 minutes or until the paint has completely bubbled.

Wipe off the paint and scrub any remaining with the toothbrush.

Rinse with a hose or pressure washer.

You now have a bare aluminum valve cover.

Painting

Wipe down with paint thinner using sheets of shop towels.

Mask as well as you can anything you don't want painted. ie the larger raised letters. The more you tape the less you have to sand off and polish later.

Wipe again with paint thinner. Allow to dry.

Spray the Primer following directions on can. Allow to dry.

Spray paint following the directions on the can. Reapply according to directions as necessary. Allow to cure.

Polishing Raised letters

Using a sanding block and 1000 grit gently remove the paint from the raised letters.

Resand with 1500 then 2000.

Use polishing compound on letters if desired.

speedminded
08-02-2009, 11:51 PM
lol dude im trying to do this myself lol. not have someone else do it mike, come on man! lol.Good luck powdercoating something yourself. For a proper durable finish that's the way to do it.

EDIT: My dad is a racecar driver also...... he is known to be a complete dumbass though. lolMost of the time it's the people that don't comprehend what someone says.

You can't mess up the TIMING by removing the valve cover. You mess up the timing by removing the timing belt and rotating the cam gears or crank.