PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass repair

Beesta
08-02-2009, 06:38 PM
First of all not sure if this is the right forum to post it. I have a fiberglass buddy club front bumper and there 3 1" crack & 1 3" cracks on the bottom. I'm tight on budget and was wondering if anyone can help or knows a shop that I can bargain with. If it cost as much as a new, I'm better off with a new non FB. The problem is old one won't sell and no place to put it. Sorry I won't be able to post pics because my camera is broken.

rickgiblin
08-02-2009, 08:04 PM
i can fix it but i wont paint it... shoot me a pm and let me know if your intrested

Donati03gt
08-02-2009, 08:11 PM
you can send me pics as well interested in helping

Beesta
08-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I'll post some pics asap.

gsrteg
08-05-2009, 02:21 AM
Heres my tip...(Im not responsible if you mess up, I suggest you practice on something).

Buy some fiberglass cloth/sheets (sold at any auto store), buy some resin and hardener.

Next, sand around the damaged area with 80-120 grit sand paper to rough out (this allows the fiberglass to grab and hold on to material).

Make sure you sand on the back area (behind the front surface), and when sanding, there must be rough sand marks.

Then, clean the area real good with grease/wax remover. Allow to dry real good.

Then blow any dust off.

Mix the resin and hardener (use proper mix ratios). Apply a light coat on the damaged area, then layer the fiberglass sheets on top the mixed resin, then apply some more mixed resin on top. (Depends to you how much you put, the more the stronger, but don't go too crazy...and depend on the mixture and atmosphere temperature, it may dry faster or slower...Practice)

Allow to completely dry, no need to sand since you repaired on the backside. Purpose is to give the back of the damaged area support from the crack. Now, to repair the front side, if its a clearcoat carbon fiber (ya know, the checkered black stuff) then you gonna have to forget about the looks after repairing, but if just regular fiberglass stuff and you gonna repaint then okay...

So, for the front, sand with 120-180. Try to shape it best as possible. Use the same technique, apply some mixed resin, fiberglass sheet, and more resin. Once dried, sand and shape back to perfect...not done yet.

If any imperfections, use body filler (bondo, evercoat glaze, whatever...) They the same crap...the sand with higher grit paper....

Primer it, then paint it...hope this helps...

dallasb84
08-05-2009, 03:44 AM
id be stronger just to use epoxy resin and some cheap bondo glass on the backside of the bumper. itll be messy but thats ok. then just do a little body work on the cracks.

if your trying to piece together a battered kit with big chunks missing and such the above post is more your thing.

for small cracks simple is good

dallasb84
08-05-2009, 03:45 AM
btw ive been doing composites and fiberglass work professionally for years....

slimm
08-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Heres my tip...(Im not responsible if you mess up, I suggest you practice on something).

Buy some fiberglass cloth/sheets (sold at any auto store), buy some resin and hardener.

Next, sand around the damaged area with 80-120 grit sand paper to rough out (this allows the fiberglass to grab and hold on to material).

Make sure you sand on the back area (behind the front surface), and when sanding, there must be rough sand marks.

Then, clean the area real good with grease/wax remover. Allow to dry real good.

Then blow any dust off.

Mix the resin and hardener (use proper mix ratios). Apply a light coat on the damaged area, then layer the fiberglass sheets on top the mixed resin, then apply some more mixed resin on top. (Depends to you how much you put, the more the stronger, but don't go too crazy...and depend on the mixture and atmosphere temperature, it may dry faster or slower...Practice)

Allow to completely dry, no need to sand since you repaired on the backside. Purpose is to give the back of the damaged area support from the crack. Now, to repair the front side, if its a clearcoat carbon fiber (ya know, the checkered black stuff) then you gonna have to forget about the looks after repairing, but if just regular fiberglass stuff and you gonna repaint then okay...

So, for the front, sand with 120-180. Try to shape it best as possible. Use the same technique, apply some mixed resin, fiberglass sheet, and more resin. Once dried, sand and shape back to perfect...not done yet.

If any imperfections, use body filler (bondo, evercoat glaze, whatever...) They the same crap...the sand with higher grit paper....

Primer it, then paint it...hope this helps...
great instructions:goodjob:
X2

Beesta
08-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Thank ya for the infos and offers. Still no camera for pics. I'm in an apartment where you can't do shit to your car, and no space for me to make mess. Will touch base with ya when I get some shit outta the way.