PDA

View Full Version : obd2 to obd1 questions (emisions related)

dallasb84
08-01-2009, 12:40 AM
so im going to be buying a gsr swap thats obd1 and putting it in my 98 civic. what problems am i going to be running into about driving it as a dd????

i am going to be boosting it later as well.

my main concern is getting it inspected?

any help
??

dallasb84
08-01-2009, 01:25 AM
im sorry the first post was vague.

basically im swapping in a obd1 gsr swap into the civic. can i get this inspected???

the civic is d16y8

PROŽ
08-01-2009, 02:32 AM
pass inspection? sure why not.

pass emissions, ehhh not so much.

WANTED
08-01-2009, 05:39 AM
I'm not sure of the verbiage of Georgia emission laws, but in some states such a swap would only be allowed for cars that will never see public streets. The biggest problem is that you will no longer have an active diagnostic port that 96 and newer cars are required to have. You would have to upconvert, meaning you would have to run an OBD2 ecu and swap out a few components to run the necessary sensors that would need to be equipped.

RBS
08-01-2009, 11:09 AM
yeah you can pass emissions. easily, all you need to get is grab all OBD2a GSR sensors and put them on, and run off a OBD2a p72. and make sure that their are no problems

done this numerous times and they all passed emissions

dallasb84
08-01-2009, 01:37 PM
am i going to run into problems because there are no butterfly valves????? skunk 2 pro mani

99' LuDe
08-02-2009, 02:10 AM

pass emissions, ehhh not so much.

couldnt have said it better myself if your plannibg on boosting it dont get your hopes on on passing emissions unless you drop some dough on a good tune and any time you do a 0bd1 swap you shouldnt have a issue with cels cause obd1 doesnt look for all the codes obd2 does. i would get a chipped vtec ecu off phearable.net

Barefoot
08-02-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure of the verbiage of Georgia emission laws, but in some states such a swap would only be allowed for cars that will never see public streets. The biggest problem is that you will no longer have an active diagnostic port that 96 and newer cars are required to have. You would have to upconvert, meaning you would have to run an OBD2 ecu and swap out a few components to run the necessary sensors that would need to be equipped.u are talking about something totally different.
yeah you can pass emissions. easily, all you need to get is grab all OBD2a GSR sensors and put them on, and run off a OBD2a p72. and make sure that their are no problems

done this numerous times and they all passed emissionsbest answer yet

pass emissions, ehhh not so much.second best answer if u dont convert.

Tech5
08-02-2009, 10:43 AM

done this numerous times and they all passed emissions

Correct almost!

You will need to use his stock harness but wire up for Vtec... Also he will need to do the Crank Angle sensor MOD so it will crank/run....Civic's uses a 2 pin plug crank sensor, and GSR/all B series uses a 3 pin crank angle sensor plug/harness..

So you need to do the MOD (google it) it has a nice write up on Honda-tech.com

Also you will need to get OBDI injector harness plugs/clips and wire them in on your stock civic harness. But for the most part convert all obdII items onto the GSR.

Hope this helps sum it up in a nut shell

Formally...
08-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Yes you can use the OBD2 gsr ecu as long as the civic is 96-98. If 99-00 civic then you will have to have a 00-01 gsr ecu and they have emobilizers.

Also, you do not have to do the Crank Angle sensor on the crank mod to get the car to run, this sensor is just there to verify that the crank and cams are in time. You will have to do this mod for no cels.

As for boosting it later that is a whole different story but it can still be done.

dallasb84
08-02-2009, 11:57 PM
thanx alot guys