PDA

View Full Version : Sports LaRoche back to the Braves.

Spectic Tank
07-31-2009, 05:12 PM
By Mark Bowman / MLB.com

07/31/09 5:37 PM ET

ATLANTA -- Braves general manager Frank Wren didn't know if he'd make a deal before Friday's Trade Deadline expired. But once the Red Sox acquired Cleveland's Victor Martinez and Adam LaRoche became expendable, Wren opted to bring the first baseman back to Atlanta.

Shortly before Friday's 4 p.m. ET deadline, Wren sent Casey Kotchman to the Red Sox in exchange for LaRoche and cash considerations.

With this exchange of first basemen, the Braves gained one that provides power on a more consistent basis. LaRoche has hit at least 20 homers each of the past four seasons, while Kotchman hit a total of eight in the 130 games he played for the Braves.

Kotchman, who was acquired by the Braves before last year's Trade Deadline in exchange for Mark Teixeira, has shown some recent signs of life. In his past 22 games, he has hit .333 with four homers and a .528 slugging percentage.

"I'm a little surprised, but not overwhelmingly surprised, with how the game is and how the business is," Kotchman said.

LaRoche, who had been acquired by the Red Sox in a July 22 trade with the Pirates, has consistently provided most of his offensive production after the All-Star break. His career second-half numbers include a .295 batting average and an .899 OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage).

While Kotchman has two more arbitration-eligible seasons remaining, LaRoche will be a free agent at the conclusion of this year.

LaRoche, who previously played for the Braves from 2004-06, is expected to arrive in Atlanta some time Friday night. The Braves have promoted Barbaro Canizares from Triple-A Gwinnett to be available to play during Friday night's series opener against the Dodgers.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090731&content_id=6169036&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

Not too exciting...

FlipKing
07-31-2009, 05:25 PM
idk, good deal imo. We needed power and we got it. RF was a bigger need but we didnt want to chance Hudson not being up to par before we traded pitching away

BanginJimmy
07-31-2009, 06:58 PM
The Red Sox stayed the same or got better. The Braves stay the same or get worse.

Spectic Tank
07-31-2009, 07:05 PM
idk, good deal imo. We needed power and we got it. RF was a bigger need but we didnt want to chance Hudson not being up to par before we traded pitching away

Yea, I was hoping for a right handed outfielder but, oh well...

We did get more power though and that is a good thing.

Spectic Tank
07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
The Red Sox stayed the same or got better. The Braves stay the same or get worse.

LaRoche usually hits better in the second half of the season. Hopefully the Braves can benefit from that. Only time will tell.

BanginJimmy
07-31-2009, 07:20 PM
LaRoche usually hits better in the second half of the season. Hopefully the Braves can benefit from that. Only time will tell.

That is the only way the Braves get better is if his bat really comes on.

atlxpat
08-01-2009, 01:19 AM
laroche does bring a bigger bat to the offense but kotchman is the only player in the mlb without an error this season. Hes THE best defensive player in the league

browningboy7
08-01-2009, 01:35 AM

Problem is the Braves don't have "time"...I've never been a Braves fan and have lived here most of my life...Atlanta has the worst SPORTS fans ever. I always have and always will bleed Cubbie blue. :goodjob:

atlxpat
08-01-2009, 01:38 AM
I've never been a Braves fan and have lived here most of my life...Atlanta has the worst SPORTS fans ever. I always have and always will bleed Cubbie blue. :goodjob:
its ppl like you who are the reason why we have such a loose fanbase :crazy:
been a braves/falcons fan for life

browningboy7
08-01-2009, 01:42 AM
It's been that way FOREVER. Braves fans got so used to making the NLDS and NLCS every year that you would go to a game and it would be 1/2 full. *unless they were playing the Cubs in the NLDS then it would be sold out lol* The Falcons have had two SOLID years selling tickets in the last 15 years and that was 98 and last years run. And the Hawks? We wont even go there... I'm not saying all, Because I have some hardcore Braves fans for friends...But most people in Atlanta are just extremely wishy washy and bandwagoney *new word* when it comes to sports.

Big Baller
08-01-2009, 01:44 AM
he is pretty solid we could have done worse

atlxpat
08-01-2009, 02:10 AM
It's been that way FOREVER. Braves fans got so used to making the NLDS and NLCS every year that you would go to a game and it would be 1/2 full. *unless they were playing the Cubs in the NLDS then it would be sold out lol* The Falcons have had two SOLID years selling tickets in the last 15 years and that was 98 and last years run. And the Hawks? We wont even go there... I'm not saying all, Because I have some hardcore Braves fans for friends...But most people in Atlanta are just extremely wishy washy and bandwagoney *new word* when it comes to sports.
yea its the truth, wish we had some kind of die hard fans with faith, like the bills/browns/raiders
although i'll take the falcons roster over all 3 combined

browningboy7
08-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Yea, I mean...I'm obviously partial, But look at the Cubs. We haven't won a world series in 101 fucking years!!! But yet they still sell out almost every game. I wish Atlanta fans were better to trust me...Better for the sports/economy/people... It could be such a great thing. But they just take shit for granted it seems.

atlxpat
08-01-2009, 02:19 AM
yea man, i work at turner field and i'll see a handfull of visiting team fans and some ppl wearing...Tennessee titans shirts? uga hats? wtf

browningboy7
08-01-2009, 02:21 AM
I would love to work there though, I'm not a Braves fun but definitely respect ALOT of the players that have come through the organization. I have a whole cork board of Andruw Jones highlight reel catches from his early days.

Spectic Tank
08-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Problem is the Braves don't have "time"...I've never been a Braves fan and have lived here most of my life...Atlanta has the worst SPORTS fans ever. I always have and always will bleed Cubbie blue. :goodjob:

Oh yea, cause cubs fans are soooo cool:rolleyes:

Good luck never winning another World Series...

BanginJimmy
08-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Oh yea, cause cubs fans are soooo cool:rolleyes:

Good luck never winning another World Series...

While I cannot argue that my Cubbies blow it every year, he is right. Atlanta sports fans are by far the most fairweathered in the country.

browningboy7
08-03-2009, 08:56 AM
While I cannot argue that my Cubbies blow it every year, he is right. Atlanta sports fans are by far the most fairweathered in the country.

I'm about ready to throw a grenade in our bull-pen and start from scratch. :2up:

FlipKing
08-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Laroche pickup looks better each day.

Honda_98_civ
08-12-2009, 11:06 PM
got some braves haters in here lol. and Laroche droped two today against the nationals. i think the braves may have a chance, i mean they have went 6-2 over the last 8 games. took the series with the dogders?!?!?! things are looking good.