PDA

View Full Version : Itunes + ? = Trojan's?????

ScrapMetalDSM
07-28-2009, 04:40 PM
So I opened up my Itunes a couple days ago and my computer got flooded with 55 Trojans, all lodging themselves in my Itunes startup files. My AVG caught it right on start-up of my itunes. My question is how on earth can a trojans get in through Itunes??? Also, when my computer did its automatic scan later that night it found over 100 trojans all in the same directory in my C drive, though i cannot remember what directory it was. I dont DL illegal music/games/anything so how could my computer get infected by that many? I had to uninstall my itunes and lost all mah music :( When i uninstalled, more trojans came in and my AVG stopped those as well. Any input is helpful!

Thanks!

EDIT: and if it helps, all the trojans were "Trojan Horse Small BOG" whatever that means...

cobalt9123
07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
I would've saved your iTunes somewhere else first to a flash or something even as a different file if necessary before the uninstall...
Malwarebytes would've taken care of those trojans possibly without uninstalling iTunes.
As far as the trojans being in iTunes start up files..someone good just got to them. Also I remember there being an update the other day for iTunes..possibly helped get rid of the trojans in the startup files?
Either way sucks you lost your music.

nsany(atl)
07-30-2009, 01:35 PM
we got the same thing, had to remove and reinstall I-tunes. But it made us upgrade to the new one which puts static on burned music so you can't listen to it.

Enthwar
07-30-2009, 09:18 PM
AVG blows. I've seen AVG let its operating files get infected, and it couldn't delete them... because it was using it.

And let's not forget the time where AVG flagged an important OS boot file as a virus, deleted it, and on next boot 250,000 people had a corrupted and non-working OS.

Viruses can come from ANYthing nowadays (not just downloading). My suggestion is to fork up a little extra money and purchase Webroot Spy Sweeper with Antivirus, or Kaspersky.

My guess was is that iTunes was open when you got infected, and whatever infected you latched itself to all open processes.

EDIT: And because you lost iTunes, doesn't mean you lost your music. All iTunes is is an organizer, your music is stored on your HDD, most likely in My Music/iTunes Music.

DaneSi
07-30-2009, 09:40 PM
That was an isolated issue with AVG and iTunes last week. Within the day, AVG released an update that fixed the problem. Don't worry, there was not a trojan related to iTunes.

Proceed as normal.

BTW, I can't even begin to read your entire original post. Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy!

ScrapMetalDSM
07-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone! Reps for all yall And You're right, I did keep my music - and that makes me a happy camper.

As for the new Itunes with the static... that is GHEY! you should be able to burn a CD if you BUY the damn song!

BanginJimmy
07-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Not really on topic, but it does deal with Itunes.

If you lose your music due to something like a HD crash, you can everything you DL from them back for free. You just have to fill out an online form with all of the purchase numbers on it. In a day or so they email you back for you to check your purchases waiting for DL.