PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors open carry in georgia?

deathrex
07-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Requires a permit if i remember correctly right? Last night i was shooting the shit with a hall county officer and he said that it dosent require any permits in the state of georgia to open carry? Ive looked at a few laws on it and some lean towards permit required others dont. By looking at the Georgia state constitution permits arent required for OC. Imputs? experiences? actually know the law? Discuss.

Truegiant
07-25-2009, 10:46 AM
please read the sticky provided at the top of this forum/section. I provided all links to info about carrying in ga.

quickdodge®
07-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Requires a permit if i remember correctly right? Last night i was shooting the shit with a hall county officer and he said that it dosent require any permits in the state of georgia to open carry? Ive looked at a few laws on it and some lean towards permit required others dont. By looking at the Georgia state constitution permits arent required for OC. Imputs? experiences? actually know the law? Discuss.

From my understanding, you can open carry as long as it is completely visible. Otherwise, you need a "license." Later, QD.

Danny
07-25-2009, 07:07 PM
From my understanding, you can open carry as long as it is completely visible. Otherwise, you need a "license." Later, QD.

You need a GFL regardless.

deathrex
07-25-2009, 09:28 PM
You need a GFL regardless.

read the sticky still didn't really get what I was looking for. And as far as what the 2 officers told me no gfl is required for open carry. They both compared it to arizonas law if it's completly visible no Firearms lisence is required. So no gfl to open carry. Now concealed Carry of course you'll need your ccw. Just really looking into this before I go spouting my mouth with false info.

Scotsman
07-25-2009, 09:30 PM
You need a GFL regardless.GFL??? good f'n lawyer?

quickdodge®
07-25-2009, 10:01 PM
And as far as what the 2 officers told me no gfl is required for open carry.

This is the same I've always learned. Later, QD.

Danny
07-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Georgia

Summary
Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. However, open carry IS legal with a Georgia permit. It is also worthy of note that you MAY openly carry a firearm without a permit in a motor vehicle.

http://www.opencarry.org/ga.html

Beat officers dont have the best reputation for knowing the ins and outs of firearm law, careful going on what they say, could cost you your freedom.

deathrex
07-26-2009, 01:02 AM
My sister is a lawyer so I'm getting her to look into the matter. But I know about carrying in you car because it's an extension of your home. But from what I've been looking at open carry is legal without a permit. Same as in arizona. Also georgias constitution the 2008 revised copy states that open carry is legal without a permit. Definately looking more into this.

patrick4588
07-26-2009, 08:40 AM
listen man; despite what anyone told you, you CANNOT carry a firearm outside your home/car without a license. open carrying is legal, but you need a GFL (Georgia Firearms License). This license is for open and concealed carry. Btw a few of us in this thread have this license.... You can find this and more info at Georgiacarry.org and Georgiapacking.org

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

Danny
07-26-2009, 08:42 AM
I have no clue where your looking, but this topic has been covered a million times and is written in Georgia Law. There is a sticky at the top of this forum, its in there.

Found In LexisNexis by searching for "16-11-128" or in the TOC under:
Title 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
Chapter 11 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
Article 4 - DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
Part 3 - CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

The code sections are all Copyright © 2008 by The State of Georgia

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128
Carrying pistol without license

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides, provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner.

(b) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a pistol without a license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he is guilty of a felony, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than one year nor more than five years.

(c) On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1910, p. 134, §§ 1, 4; Code 1933, § 26-5103; Code 1933, § 26-2903, enacted by Ga. L. 1968, p. 1249, § 1; Ga. L. 1976, p. 1430, § 3; Ga. L. 1996, p. 108, § 2; Ga. L. 2007, p. 47, § 16/SB 103.

GeorgiaPacking Notes: Code section covering concealed carry and open carry of weapons is 16-11-126

quickdodge®
07-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Btw a few of us in this thread have this license....

I'm one of those, dummy. Later, QD.

patrick4588
07-26-2009, 10:14 AM
yet somehow didnt know the law? telling people they can carry openly without a license is a good way to get someone arrested. tons of false information is spread on the internet, but legalities when carrying a gun shouldnt be one of them.

quickdodge®
07-26-2009, 10:19 AM
yet somehow didnt know the law? telling people they can carry openly without a license is a good way to get someone arrested. tons of false information is spread on the internet, but legalities when carrying a gun shouldnt be one of them.

I don't give a fuck what you think I know or don't know. If you'd carefully reread my posts, I never stated it matter of fact. I stated "from my understanding" and "learned." I never said do it and I never said it was so. So comprehend what you read before commenting on it. Later, QD.

Julio
07-26-2009, 11:29 AM
My sister is a lawyer so I'm getting her to look into the matter. But I know about carrying in you car because it's an extension of your home. But from what I've been looking at open carry is legal without a permit. Same as in arizona. Also georgias constitution the 2008 revised copy states that open carry is legal without a permit. Definately looking more into this.

Listen Douche.. just get a fucking GFL...

Who gives a fuck if your sister is a lawyer... You shouldve asked her in the 1st place , people posted actual links and info on this law...I just dont get why even ask in here if you still confused..

NO, OPEN CARRY W/O A GFL IS NOT LEGAL IN GA...

But, I would look into the hunting/hunter/comp laws.. in case they are different.

Plus If it was legal, I would not carry a gun w/o a GFL anyways... 95% of the folks who would carry w/o a gfl you would probably be screwed. I mean, what kind of rights would you have?

quickdodge®
07-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Plus If it was legal, I would not carry a gun w/o a GFL anyways...

I agree. Even after I was told it would be ok to do so, I still never did until I got my GFL. I just wanted to be sure since everything is so gray. Later, QD.

81911SC
07-26-2009, 11:34 AM
I don't really ever open carry. If I'm at the range, sure but other than that I'd rather nobody know.

deathrex
07-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Listen Douche.. just get a fucking GFL...

Who gives a fuck if your sister is a lawyer... You shouldve asked her in the 1st place , people posted actual links and info on this law...I just dont get why even ask in here if you still confused..

NO, OPEN CARRY W/O A GFL IS NOT LEGAL IN GA...

But, I would look into the hunting/hunter/comp laws.. in case they are different.

Plus If it was legal, I would not carry a gun w/o a GFL anyways... 95% of the folks who would carry w/o a gfl you would probably be screwed. I mean, what kind of rights would you have?

I do have a gfl. And open carry just brings too much Unwanted attention. I was just looking for clarification on this matter.

DerrickT
07-26-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't really ever open carry. If I'm at the range, sure but other than that I'd rather nobody know.

:goodjob: I'm with this guy.

Julio
07-26-2009, 01:59 PM
I do have a gfl. And open carry just brings too much Unwanted attention. I was just looking for clarification on this matter.

Next time , ask in a better way...

You seriously sounded like an idiot.. No pun intended.

Yes, GA is a OC state w/ a GFL.

And yes, OC will always bring unwanted attention... I personally only OC in an area where I feel uncorfortable. But I rather not anyone know I'm carrying.

patrick4588
07-27-2009, 12:24 AM
i say we avoid the CC vs OC argument. OP has his answer

quickdodge®
07-27-2009, 08:30 PM
i say

Who are you again? Later, QD.

Danny
07-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Who are you again? Later, QD.

He is trying to keep this forum productive by avoiding a debate that normally results in 2 sides: one side blabbering on about how OC is a huge tactical disadvantage and the other side blabbering on about how OC is basically your responsibility as an American and that it scares bad people away. Although overly simplified this is typically how that debate goes. Its a debate fueled mostly by personal opinions, rarely resulting in any decent information and thus best left alone imo.

quickdodge®
07-27-2009, 09:18 PM
He is trying to keep this forum productive by avoiding a debate that normally results in 2 sides: one side blabbering on about how OC is a huge tactical disadvantage and the other side blabbering on about how OC is basically your responsibility as an American and that it scares bad people away. Although overly simplified this is typically how that debate goes. Its a debate fueled mostly by personal opinions, rarely resulting in any decent information and thus best left alone imo.

Uuuuhhh. Ok. Later, QD.

Danny
07-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Uuuuhhh. Ok. Later, QD.

lol

quickdodge®
07-28-2009, 05:49 AM
lol

+reps to you, good sport. Later, QD.