PDA

View Full Version : Massa UPDATE: First interview with Felipe after leaving hospital today. *video*

EJ25RUN
07-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Check last post for latest news.

http://www.grandprix.com/jpeg/phc/phun01/schumacher7-lg.jpg

2009 ING Hungarian GP

Hungaroring

Round 10

http://www.centraleasteurope.com/kepek/hungaroring2008.jpg
http://tomsformula1models.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/jensonbutton_honda_hungaroring_2006_2.jpg

SpeedTV / FOX Coverage:
Sunday Race 3:00 PM July 26 ON FOX!!!

Weekend Headlines

Breaking: Massa hit in head by spring off Ruben's BrawnGP car in Q2.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/EJ25RUN/massa-hungaroring-z-19_250709.jpg?t=1248534996

19 year old Jaime Alguersuari will become youngest ever F1 starter at 19 years old.

McLaren improves as new parts make their way in from Woking for both Hamilton and Heiki. Hamilton's car is newer spec while Heiki's is Germany spec.

EJ25RUN
07-25-2009, 10:33 AM
This vid might not work cause F1 would take it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hfr29J4Xpo

F1live.

Ferrari has confirmed that Felipe Massa has been taken to hospital in Budapest for routine examinations after he was struck by debris in the second round of qualifying today for the Hungarian Grand Prix. The team also confirms earlier reports that the Brazilian is conscious.

Massa appeared to be hit by debris dropped by Rubens Barrichello’s Brawn Mercedes although this has yet to be confirmed. The object struck the left hand side of the Brazilian’s crash helmet. Massa was however able to apply the brakes as the F60 cut across turn four and then slammed hard into the tyre barrier.

He was immediately attended to by the safety crews before being removed from the Ferrari and transported to the medical centre. From there he was taken to hospital for further checks.

Barrichello visited Massa in the medical centre. "He was very agitated," Barrichello told the Daily Telegraph.
"He had a cut in his head, which could have been from the part of my car that was on the track. He was talking, was conscious, but they have to analyse the cut. He was moving his arms and legs, they had to make him sleep because he was agitated."

It remains to be seen if Massa will take part in Sunday’s 70-lap Hungarian Grand Prix. His time in the second round of qualifying saw him classified in tenth position on the grid.

cjhutch
07-25-2009, 06:01 PM
I really hope he is alright and able to continue his career. That was just a crazy accident. It's kinda like being struck by lightning.For what it's worth, he was so lucky because when you see the picture of his face when they take the visor off if it had been an inch lower his eye would probably be gone. Anyone know what the impact resistance of the visor is? I read the spring weighs in at around 2 lbs. and he was going @ 150mph.

EJ25RUN
07-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Update on Massa serious but stable following surgery

Photo F1-Live.com
Zoom
Felipe Massa’s rivals wishing him well
Felipe Massa, struck by a component from Rubens Barrichello’s Brawn Mercedes in qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix, has undergone surgery this afternoon at the AEK hospital in Budapest.

Massa sustained head injuries from the flying debris including facial cuts but more significantly a fractured skull and concussion. He remains in a ‘serious but stable’ condition the hospital has confirmed via the AFP news agency.

The outcome of the procedure was 'positive' the Ferrari team has confirmed and the Brazilian is to remain under observation and in intensive care.

His on track rivals have all rallied around following his accident. Countryman Barrichello visited the medical centre soon after the incident.

“My position today is unimportant,” he said with reference to qualifying. “My thoughts right now are with Felipe and his family who are really close friends of mine and I hope he is going to be okay and will be fit as soon as possible.”

Ferrari is expected to make a further medical update late Sunday morning.

EJ25RUN
07-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I have to say i feel terrible right now. Henry's incident is still to fresh in my head and seeing this really hurts. I pray for him to make a full recovery. He is such a good person and did not deserve.

2turbo4u
07-25-2009, 10:21 PM
I hope he makes a speedy recovery, it was a freak accident.

EJ25RUN
07-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Yay For Ferrari!!!! WHOOOO!

BKgen®
07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Been Praying for Massa. I think my heart stopped after seeing the video yesterday of him being hit by the debris, especially following Surtees' F2 accident.

Anyway, congrats to KIMI!!!

EJ25RUN
07-26-2009, 05:05 PM
He has a long break to recover. I hope this is not a season ender for him.

Montezemolo to visit Massa on Monday

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, July 26th 2009, 17:55 GMT

Luca di MontezemoloFerrari president Luca di Montezemolo will fly to Budapest on Monday to be at the bedside of injured driver Felipe Massa.

With Massa expected to remain in an induced coma for the next 48 hours as he recovers from the fractured skull injuries he suffered in his Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying crash, di Montezemolo has made it a priority to travel to the AEK hospital to be with the Brazilian.

Ferrari has been overwhelmed by the show of sympathy from the F1 paddock since Saturday's accident, which was caused when a spring from Rubens Barrichello's car flew into Massa's helmet.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and Brawn GP driver Rubens Barrichello visited Massa's hospital on Saturday night, and Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali spent most of Saturday night and Sunday there too - only being at the track for the race itself.

Barrichello said on Sunday that he was hurting inside from the events, and said he would do anything he could to assist the Massa family in their time of need.

"If I can be of any help I will, because too many people sometimes just make a mess of it," said Barrichello before he headed to the hospital. "The whole [Massa] family is there. I want to go there, and I wish I can see him.

"Last night they didn't let me see him. I would love to see him. But at the same time, you have to think of my kids and you have to think of my family, it is a bit of an emotional moment."

He added: "It is burning a little bit of my stomach and I would be lying if, in the middle of the race, I didn't say that sometimes it was coming into the middle of my mind.

"He is a friend – and it is not because the spring came from my car. It could have come from any car, so I am not jeopardising myself for that. It is for the fact that he would have done the same for me.

"If I can be any help I will stay for whenever, if not I will leave him there as I have the kids waiting for me."

Other drivers also expressed their sympathy for Massa, showing relief that the indications from the hospital are that the Brazilian will make a recovery.

Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber said: "What happened was very unfortunate. We have phenomenal safety in Formula 1 and yesterday was just incredibly freakish that that type of material could have been bouncing around and then bouncing at head height and then Felipe was coming, so very freakish that it should happen.

"This is the job we do but also we're very relieved, of course, that he's OK. Surgery went OK and I'm sure he will be a million bucks in a few months, so that's the main thing. He's got good people around him; the FIA did a good job at the scene. We don't want to get too carried away with it but he will be fine and we're fully behind him, of course. We missed him on the grid today but the show goes on."

Hungarian GP winner Lewis Hamilton added: "I think I would just say that for me, I've had a great relationship with Felipe for quite a few years now and some great battles with him and for sure to not see him with us today was definitely sad to see.

"But I'm glad that the surgery went well and we're just going to keep him in our thoughts and prayers. He's got a child coming, he needs to get back to top shape, so when he's finally a Dad he can do the job well."

EJ25RUN
07-26-2009, 08:18 PM
I found a picture of Massa before they took off his helmet. I wont post it because it is not necessary but it was much worse than the camera makes it seem. Modern helmets can take gun shots but that spring hit him with an impact of 4,000 lbs. There is a clear view of how the helmet was altered. :no:

I still praying for Massa to have a full recovery. Here's to you friend. :cheers:

BKgen®
07-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I found a picture of Massa before they took off his helmet. I wont post it because it is not necessary but it was much worse than the camera makes it seem. Modern helmets can take gun shots but that spring hit him with an impact of 4,000 lbs. There is a clear view of how the helmet was altered. :no:

I still praying for Massa to have a full recovery. Here's to you friend. :cheers:

I believe I saw the same picture you're talking about... glad you decided not to post it.

Not only was it a big scare because of the Surtees tragedy, but as you remember another of Massa's countrymen was struck in the head over a decade ago by a piece of his own suspension. :(

1SICKLEX
07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Wow, what a penalty!!

Glad Massa is okay. THe force that hit him, wow......

BKgen®
07-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Renault suspended from the European Grand Prix
26/07/09 19:43

Renault has been banned, subject to appeal, from the forthcoming European Grand Prix after the team permitted pole-sitter Fernando Alonso to exit the pits with his R29 challenger allegedly unsafe for competition.

Stewards summoned officials for the Anglo-French team to race control following the Hungarian Grand Prix in Budapest because Alonso's right front right wheel was incorrectly fitted and departed the car following his first pit stop - with obvious safety implications.

Renault has been suspended from the next Grand Prix at Valencia and "reminded of (its) right of appeal".

Stewards meanwhile took no action against Kimi Raikkonen for colliding with both Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel at the start for what was at best a racing incident, but reprimanded Mark Webber's Red Bull team for unsafely releasing the Australian from his first pitstop.

Sammich
07-27-2009, 09:12 AM
IS THERE NO VID WHAT SO EVER OF WHAT HAPPENED? I SAW THE HEADLINE ON SPEED TV AND YAHOO

Ed
07-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Massa is a good guy. Hopefully he will be ok. I saw the video of the accident and it hurt just to watch it. Poor guy.

EJ I saw a picture of him with the helmet on, it looked bad. PM me the one you have.

EJ25RUN
07-27-2009, 09:49 AM
This is not Massa's helmet. It is a similar Arai cutaway

http://daylife.sky.com/imageserve/0f9V6GAaTUgtZ/610x.jpghttp://daylife.sky.com/imageserve/0dHoebzdlR2Br/610x.jpg

SampaGuy
07-27-2009, 09:58 AM
EJ I saw a picture of him with the helmet on, it looked bad. PM me the one you have.

Did you see the one on folha? Its bad, and the doctors are now saying his eye was hurt too, but don't know yet to what extent.

:cry:

Ed
07-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Did you see the one on folha? Its bad, and the doctors are now saying his eye was hurt too, but don't know yet to what extent.

:cry:

No. Hopefully he'll be ok and can still race.

EJ25RUN
07-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Here is video of Felipe Massa's crash through a 3d animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHZybt3eOAI)

EJ25RUN
07-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Autosport..

Full recovery possible for Massa

By Peter Farkas Monday, July 27th 2009, 18:00 GMT

Felipe Massa's car, HungaryFelipe Massa's condition is continuing to improve as doctors at the AEK Hospital in Hungary, where the Brazilian driver is being treated, denied earlier reports of eye damage and instead suggested he could make a full recovery.

Colonel Dr. Lajos Zsiros, the chief surgeon of the Hungarian Defence Forces, told a news conference on Monday that the 28-year-old had been woken from sedation on Monday afternoon, and was unlikely to be sedated again.

"In the last 24 hours some major changes have gone through in the condition of Felipe Massa," said Zsiros. "His condition continues to be stable.

"During the CT-scan we performed we could ascertain that there was an improvement in his condition. We stopped sedation and after that Felipe Massa became capable of making contact."

"So in the afternoon we stopped the artificial ventilation of Felipe. As we speak he is sleepy, but he gives adequate answers to the questions we ask him, and he can move his arms and legs spontaneously."

"Right now he has no fever, and we have removed the drain tube from his wound. Further improvement of his condition can be expected. During the night we do not plan to do any more interventions on him."

Zsiros denied the earlier reports that Massa had injured his left eye, which led to speculation about his future participation in Formula 1.

Peter Bazso, the hospital's medical director, explained that it was in fact too early to tell if there was any damage because Massa was still unable to open the eye: "We can give no positive neither negative answer to this, because at this stage the vision cannot be examined."

Bazso made it clear however that a full recovery was still entirely possible for the Brazilian.

"There is no such thing as 'this condition', because every case is different," he pointed out. "Of course it isn't impossible."

When asked when they will be able to determine if Massa has suffered any kind of lasting injury, Zsiros said: "There is no interval which we can define, but I would say it should be from one week to ten days."

He added that Massa would remain in intensive care as long as his condition made that necessary.

Dino Altmann, the Chief Medical Officer of the Brazilian Grand Prix, who also attended the news conference, confirmed Massa was now able to speak.

"He spoke, he wanted to know what happened to him. And he had some questions," Altmann revealed. "I would like to say that the family is very happy with the treatment Felipe is receiving here, and there's no question about transfer at the moment."

Altmann said they haven't asked Massa yet if he was able to remember the accident. He also explained that the operation on Saturday, which doctors described as "life-saving", was performed because of the skull damage, not because of brain swelling.

A spokesman for the AEK hospital confirmed Massa's family were already in Budapest, and a room was made available for them so they could stay with him at all times.

Ed
07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
thats great news!

dazn
07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
crazy month for racing. lots of freak accidents. all the way from F1 to club racing.

hope massa comes back 100%.
I wonder what the hell happened to that third spring. Did someone leave something loose? or did a part actually break? I just have a hard time believing someone broke a third spring damper but didnt have a high speed incident. Rubens said he lost about 20mm of ride height, and if it was the damper that broke, it had have to broken at high speeds. talk about lucky for him, but almost deadly for Massa.

and the Renault suspension is stupid. They should reprimand Brawn and Force India for the same thing then.

EJ25RUN
07-27-2009, 06:32 PM
thats great news!

I hope so. The article is saying a week to ten days to know 100% so i'm not giving up hope.

BKgen®
07-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Hmm... interesting speculation article on F1Live now about stand-in driver choices for SF while Massa is healing. Apparently some sources even believe Schumacher may be contemplating racing. Right... :rolleyes:

Glad to hear things are looking up for Felipe. Hopefully his recovery will be a full one.

SampaGuy
07-28-2009, 04:27 AM
Hmm... interesting speculation article on F1Live now about stand-in driver choices for SF while Massa is healing. Apparently some sources even believe Schumacher may be contemplating racing. Right... :rolleyes:

Most likely it will be Marc Gene or Lucas Badour. But of course the retards of the spanish media are already saying that it will be Alonso...

EJ25RUN
07-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Most likely it will be Marc Gene or Lucas Badour. But of course the retards of the spanish media are already saying that it will be Alonso...

Consider this....when Michael broke his legs in 1999, instead of taking the factory test driver Bodour, they picked Mika Salo.

I do agree that Alonzo taking the seat is very unlikely although seeing the Renault squad at Valencia is still a possibility. Valencia ticket buyers are primarily there to see Alonzo so the race organizers have asked the FIA to "think about the fans." No news from the FIA has come yet about that.

Massa News:

Massa could leave hospital in 10 days

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, July 28th 2009, 10:36 GMT

Felipe MassaFelipe Massa's recovery is going so well that he could walk out of hospital by the end of next week, his doctor has said.

On the back of further encouraging signs about Massa's condition following the fractured skull he suffered in his qualifying accident for the Hungarian Grand Prix, doctors are now hopeful that he may be able to leave the AEK Hospital in Budapest soon.

Peter Bazso, the medical director of the hospital, told Hungarian TV channel M1 on Tuesday: "My expectation is that he would walk out of the hospital on his own. If his recovery continues at this pace, I wouldn't rule out that he could leave within 10 days."

Massa has been brought out of an induced coma and has now been taken off a respirator

"He's spending more and more time awake, talking to family and friends," Bazso said.

Massa's wife, parents, brother and manager Nicolas Todt have remained in hospital with him, and Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali is due to visit him on Tuesday.

However, while it remains uncertain about the extent of any eye injury that Massa may have suffered, Bazso has also said that Massa's condition must still be monitored closely.

"I would like to point out that although he's recovering, this is not the end of the story, he is still in a life-threatening condition," Bazso said. "Of course, the danger is decreasing by the day."

Massa's injuries were caused when he was struck on the helmet by a flying spring that had come off the back of Rubens Barrichello's Brawn GP car.

EJ25RUN
07-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Doctors say Massa will race again

By Edd Straw and Michele Lostia Wednesday, July 29th 2009, 12:17 GMT

Felipe Massa, Silverstone, 2009Dino Altmann, Felipe Massa's personal doctor, is certain that Felipe Massa will be able to race again.

Altmann said that the trauma suffered by the Brazilian was not as bad as first thought, and that his condition has improved rapidly.

"I have no doubt Felipe will race again," he told Gazzetta dello Sport. "I'm sure of that.

"The situation is still delicate, but I believe his life is not in danger anymore. From the beginning I felt that the trauma wasn't as extended as it was believed, but the improvements of the last hours have gone beyond our wildest expectations."

Altmann added that fears that Massa had suffered damage to his left eye, which was opened for the first time since the accident yesterday, proved to be unjustified.

"Stimulated by the physiotherapist, he showed he knows left from right and he has full awareness of distance and depth," said Atlmann. "And his memory loss regards a short time.

"His eye has been opened, with care because it is still swollen, and he has said he can see. His vision has not weakened.

"He gave appropriate answers in three languages: Portuguese, Italian, and English. That means that the brain's cognitive area is fine."

Ferrari has confirmed that Massa will be moved out of intensive care later today, and team principal Stefano Domenicali has said that his rate of recovery is impressive.

"It's a fantastic improvement," Domenicali told the newspaper. "Only three days after the crash he's made encouraging progress.

"He recognised me, I greeted him and I brought him all the team's and the fans' warmth and support. He replied to me in Italian, after he had spoken to his family in Portuguese. He told me he can't remember anything that had happened: that's a good thing."

Domenicali added that Massa's place at Ferrari will be kept open for him when he is fit enough to return.

"The data is encouraging, but in these situations it's better to be prudent and take one step at a time," he said. "We want him to recover as soon as possible.

"I confirmed to him that we are looking forward to his return soon, that the car is his, and that as soon as he's ready he'll be back with us."

Ed
07-29-2009, 10:02 AM
great news again. Thanks ej

EJ25RUN
07-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Yahoonews.

Massa doctor: No long-term effects

Eurosport - Wed, 29 Jul 15:31:00 2009

Injured Brazilian Grand Prix driver Felipe Massa should not suffer any long-term effects from his crash and can now move around his bed, according to his doctor Dino Altman.
2009 Hungarian AEK hospital where Felipe Massa is being treated - 0
More Stories

* Bernie doesn't expect Massa back
* Massa to leave intensive care in Budapest

"He doesn't seem to have a long-term injury," Altman said at Budapest's AEK hospital, where Massa was brought after his accident on Saturday.

"He stood up today and was walking around his bed," he added.

"Felipe's brain condition is improving and there is nothing to worry about."

Altman ruled out any eye injuries as well as a gallbladder inflammation that was reported by a hospital doctor earlier in the day.

He added that Massa would be moved out of the intensive care unit on Wednesday.

It was still unclear however when the Brazilian would be discharged from hospital, although "it might be in less than ten days."

"Leaving the hospital is not an issue now. We are waiting to see how he improves," Altman said, adding that whether he would be transported to Brazil or to France was unclear.

According to his father however Massa is due to be moved on Thursday to the same hospital in Paris which treated former three-time world footballer of the year Ronaldo's knee injury last year.

"If he continues (to recover) at this pace he'll be switched to a hospital in Paris where he will follow his recovery up to the time he can go home," Titonia Massa said from Budapest in comments carried by Brazilian newspaper O Globo.

"We don't know yet whether he'll be going to Monaco or Sao Paulo," added Massa's father about his son's destination after being released from hospital.

Altman said the driver remembered his two completed laps as well as the moments before the accident, and was asking who had won the race on Sunday.

Massa exclaimed "I can't believe it! It was my race," when he learned the winner had been Lewis Hamilton, the doctor said.

"He was hungry and was complaining about food," Altman added.

Massa suffered severe injuries when he was struck at around 275 kph by a spring that flew off compatriot Rubens Barrichello's Brawn car during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix on Saturday.

The 28-year-old driver underwent surgery for skull damage immediately.

For the last four days, he has been in intensive care unit, with his wife staying in an adjacent room.

2turbo4u
07-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Great news!

EJ25RUN
07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Massa already thinking of racing again

By Peter Farkas Thursday, July 30th 2009, 14:03 GMT

Felipe Massa, Silverstone, 2009Felipe Massa is already thinking about racing again, and would be happy to get back into his Ferrari in the next race in Valencia, according to his personal doctor.

Although he joked Massa was "looking like a boxer", Dino Altman told journalists in front of the AEK hospital in Budapest on Thursday that the condition of the Brazilian driver, who suffered a serious accident during the qualifying session of the Hungarian Grand Prix was still getting better all the time.

"Felipe continues to improve. He is eating, he was walking around the room, he took a shower in the morning, like a normal person. So that's good news," Altman, Chief Medical Officer of the Brazilian Grand Prix, said.

"No problem with his eyes, as I've told you before, it's okay.

"He is eating normal food. He ate chicken, today in the morning he had a normal breakfast, some yogurt with nutritional complements, bread, cheese, tomato, and he also had a banana."

Altman said Massa didn't need any special treatments for his rehabilitation process from now on, as he only had to get stronger. He refused to give a specific timeframe for the Brazilian to go racing again, although he stressed he was "sure" Massa would eventually make it back onto the grid.

"It's the only thing he is thinking about, it's his fixed idea. He has no fears at all," Altman said. "He thinks he would be able to race in Valencia."

Reacting to the news that seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher would take his seat in the Ferrari while he was not able to drive again, Massa reportedly joked: "We have to see if I will let him drive!"

"He was joking with his friends and his brother," Altman revealed. "He was telling us that he heard about the Schumacher news, and he told us: 'Let's see if I let him drive the car, because I won't give up.'"

Altman had a short conversation in front of the hospital with FIA Institute deputy president Gerard Saillant, who he said was there to attend Massa as well.

"He has some things to do in his regular job so he has to go home today. But he was here all the time", Altman confirmed, denying earlier reports that Massa would be taken to Saillant's clinic in Paris. "No. We thought about that once, but that's it.

"The FIA medical team was always part of the process," Altman told AUTOSPORT. "Everybody was taking all the decisions together with the physicians here in Hungary."

"There are very good physicians here, really very high standards in terms of the hospital, the physicians, all the work, all the equipment and everything."

He said Massa would be going "home" from the hospital, but whether he would be taken to Monaco or Brazil was not yet decided.

"It depends on when he will go out. There are so many things to deal with, so it's very difficult to say."

On Wednesday afternoon Massa was again visited at the hospital in Budapest by Ferrari chief Luca di Montezemolo, who flew over from Italy to see him.

I like his spirit about Michael. I know they respect each other when they were teammates but you also gotta consider this. Ferrari went to Michael in a time of need. Not some new kid that deserved a chance in F1. This shows what caliber of driver Ferrari sees in Massa. Only Schumacher can be allowed to fill in for him.

EJ25RUN
08-03-2009, 09:21 AM
I cant guarantee that after i post this, it wont get taken down by the F1 people.

But.....just go to Youtube, and write Felipe Massa Interview and do the latest possible vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUIbKqBpZ0

BKgen®
08-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Awesome. Really good to see him up and OK. Thank God it wasn't worse.

Elbow
08-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Good to see him with high hopes and doing well. Hopefully he can be back behind the wheel soon.