PDA

View Full Version : harness bypass

BanginJimmy
07-24-2009, 07:57 PM
An 03 Cavalier requires the insanely expensive GMOS-01 harness. I really dont want to pay more than $100 for the harness so what would be the easiest way to bypass it? From the little I know about it, the only thing I will lose is the door chimes and I wouldnt mind losing those anyways.

I havent ripped the dash apart yet so I'm not sure what the wiring behind it looks like but I would imagine I could just cut the stock wiring harness off and simply hardwire the new harness in, is that correct? If so, can someone check shopkey for me and let me know the wire colors for the 12v constant, illumination, accessory and speaker wires?

DynamicSound
07-24-2009, 08:12 PM
An 03 Cavalier requires the insanely expensive GMOS-01 harness. I really dont want to pay more than $100 for the harness so what would be the easiest way to bypass it? From the little I know about it, the only thing I will lose is the door chimes and I wouldnt mind losing those anyways.

I havent ripped the dash apart yet so I'm not sure what the wiring behind it looks like but I would imagine I could just cut the stock wiring harness off and simply hardwire the new harness in, is that correct? If so, can someone check shopkey for me and let me know the wire colors for the 12v constant, illumination, accessory and speaker wires?

You can get the Axxess XSVI-2003 to retain the power functions...it is cheap. Then just tap into the other wires. I would tap into the wires instead of removing the factory harness. Cheapest route would be to tap them all.

Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Pink
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

BanginJimmy
07-25-2009, 11:17 AM
thanks alot. I have no power in the car so I believe the only thing I would lose is door chimes.

Instead of just just cutting and using butt connectors, I will most likely use spades so that it is possible for me to replace the stock radio.

DynamicSound
07-25-2009, 11:59 AM
thanks alot. I have no power in the car so I believe the only thing I would lose is door chimes.

Instead of just just cutting and using butt connectors, I will most likely use spades so that it is possible for me to replace the stock radio.

Yeah, door chimes will be the only thing you lose, which door chimes coming through your speakers are annoying anyway.

redgst97
07-25-2009, 11:12 PM
If you leave the radio on, and take out the keys (with the stock system), typically the radio will stay on until you open the door. You will also loose that feature.

b@d @pple
07-26-2009, 07:58 AM
^^^ retained accessory power

BanginJimmy
07-26-2009, 10:38 AM
If you leave the radio on, and take out the keys (with the stock system), typically the radio will stay on until you open the door. You will also loose that feature.

Lost that when I ripped some box out from under my center console in the truck. Never bothered me then so I doubt it would bother me in the car either.

Thanks a lot for the help.

DynamicSound
07-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I hate that feature too.

redgst97
07-26-2009, 09:13 PM
I love when someone pics out a $120 radio, then find out they need a $180 harness to make it work with Bose and OnStar.....

BanginJimmy
07-26-2009, 11:50 PM
I love when someone pics out a $120 radio, then find out they need a $180 harness to make it work with Bose and OnStar.....

No shit. I am only planning on replacing the damn thing to get the aux input for my ipod.

The shitty thing is, my car is stripped down. No power, no upgraded or option anything, yet I still need the high priced harness.

lovinmydodge
09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
y is it so much? mine was 50 and it had to store extra power for a false remote power source that is trans from the key signal processor.... I've never seen a wiring harness that was over 65 bucks that wasn't for something like an exotic car... and yours is for a cavi...

DynamicSound
09-08-2009, 02:54 PM
y is it so much? mine was 50 and it had to store extra power for a false remote power source that is trans from the key signal processor.... I've never seen a wiring harness that was over 65 bucks that wasn't for something like an exotic car... and yours is for a cavi...

For GM vehicles that have On-Star, you need interfaces...not just a harness. This is because On-Star and all the warning chimes also utilizes the speakers. So simply adding a harness will not allow those features to function. So you will need the interfaces to allows everything to work. GMOS (Axxess/Metra) interfaces range from $60 and up based on which one it is. The most expensive one I have is $95 for the GMOS-01.

BanginJimmy
09-08-2009, 08:22 PM
For GM vehicles that have On-Star, you need interfaces...not just a harness. This is because On-Star and all the warning chimes also utilizes the speakers. So simply adding a harness will not allow those features to function. So you will need the interfaces to allows everything to work. GMOS (Axxess/Metra) interfaces range from $60 and up based on which one it is. The most expensive one I have is $95 for the GMOS-01.

Not just vehicles with on-star. My very quick search says its all GM vehicles that run their door chimes and such through the speakers.

sina518
09-08-2009, 11:33 PM

thats because you havent been around car audio long enough retard. the people that come on here and give advice know what they are talking about and do it for a living so who the hell cares that you have never seen a harness that cost more than 65 dollars, obviously you never owned a GM with onstar or bose.

redgst97
09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/search/searchresults.aspx?SearchTab=Shop&us=2&search=gmos

lsvtec20
09-10-2009, 07:32 PM
It is every GM that has chimes in the speakers, you dont have to use them though. The standard metra part i think it was a 98-2003 harness (been a while so im not positive on the part) will work fine. As everyone has stated you will lose only your chime

Z0_o6
09-10-2009, 07:45 PM
yup. i used a $20 metra harness in my '02 Suburban and the only thing i lost was OnStar and the door chime. I remove or disable the door chime in every vehicle i own, so that was actually a plus, and I didn't want OnStar since I installed a nav unit anyways.

big99miketma
09-10-2009, 09:32 PM
It is every GM that has chimes in the speakers, you dont have to use them though. The standard metra part i think it was a 98-2003 harness (been a while so im not positive on the part) will work fine. As everyone has stated you will lose only your chime

Part # is close 99-2003, ALL vehicles you lose chime yes, however MOST of the GM vehicles (newer ones) there are other things also integrated Bose, On Star, RAP (retained accessory power), back up sensor warning, and not most but a FEW of the GM 's Cadillac mostly you actually get all kinds of warning lights on the dash just by removing the radio and not using an appropriate module, and on THOSE cars there is not a cheap ass choice of buying the $20 harness the choice is buy the module or pay the extra labor to relocate the factory radio.

So the bottom line if someone does not wanna spend the money on the harness that is their choice, however for the "professionals" here we prefer to at least tell people their OPTIONS whether you use the thing or not who cares, but I feel it would be wrong to tell you to buy the $20 harness and not inform you of the safety features you COULD (depending on vehicle) be losing.

To answer the original question, on a cavalier there is no bose or on star so yes the only thing you would lose is chime, also the wire colors supplied are correct except for the 12v switched ignition that car does not have one that is what the GMOS is for to take the DATA bus (purple) wire input and give you a standard analog ignition output (the XSVI referred to will do that also), or just run your own ignition wire to the main ignition harness and use the ACC wire which is brown.