PDA

View Full Version : Sports dan reeves speaks on vick

VIP Style
07-20-2009, 09:18 PM
i was watching the nfl network and reeves was speaking to a analysist about vick. reeves said vick is quarterback who is very gifted, has a quick release and sees the field well. reeves said it really would not make sense to try and make him something he is not, like a running back.

atlxpat
07-20-2009, 11:23 PM
neat

CALIWEST
07-21-2009, 08:33 AM
michael vick is not your conventional QB, and i don't think converting him to a RB or WR would help. I don't think he has the talent to play those parts. He is not capable of taking the pounding of running backs who carry the ball 20-28 times a game, and also be able to block the backside of the QB. As a reciever, he has the speed and all, but he doesn't have the talent to catch in traffic and take a hit without losing the ball.
As a QB he just needs to be surrounded by talented players all around because he cannot make it happen himself. He is fun to watch, but as a QB his career is short.

But then again, this is my opinion.

VIP Style
07-21-2009, 10:47 AM
if you think about it, vick was still able to produce somewhat behind a undersized O-line, any QB's career would be short behind a line that doesnt necessarily hold off the rush too long. espn reported this morning that vick is expected to hire the same trainer who worked with brady and manning.
michael vick is not your conventional QB, and i don't think converting him to a RB or WR would help. I don't think he has the talent to play those parts. He is not capable of taking the pounding of running backs who carry the ball 20-28 times a game, and also be able to block the backside of the QB. As a reciever, he has the speed and all, but he doesn't have the talent to catch in traffic and take a hit without losing the ball.
As a QB he just needs to be surrounded by talented players all around because he cannot make it happen himself. He is fun to watch, but as a QB his career is short.

But then again, this is my opinion.

nsany(atl)
07-21-2009, 11:06 AM
he had one of the worst QB ratings at an avg of 75. the league avg. is 89.

bigdare23
07-21-2009, 02:30 PM

Take in consideration that

1. He didn't have a good o-line (kinda hard to make good decision in a split second since the o-line would collapse on him)

2. The Falcons made many changes during the time he was there (coaches, offensives. etc)

3. His receiver wasn't catching his good passes (maybe because his arm strength and he's left handed)

Vick was great all around QB when Dan Reeves was there, so ultimately I blame the Falcons for his mishaps.

DaddyFatSack
07-21-2009, 03:38 PM

but yet was the highest paid.... Go figure

ueyedgr8tness
07-21-2009, 10:03 PM
If vick would of had a good oline and had some 1 that could catch the falcons would of been walking teams like they where on a leash.Look at the numbers he put out with out a good O line :)

quickdodgeŽ
07-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Vick was great all around QB when Dan Reeves was there, so ultimately I blame the Falcons for his mishaps.

I disagree. He was NOT a great QB. A good one? Probably. But definitely not great. Later, QD.

CALIWEST
07-22-2009, 07:30 AM
His brother Marcus was a better QB then Michael. But then again it all comes down to making stupid decisions, yet michael made a stupid decision during his career as an NFL QB. I know that the O line wasn't good during michael vick's reign in Atlanta, and his receivers didn't really catch many passes. But another thing to note is that he did think about running before passing at times, even when he had protection, as can be shown in some of the games he played in.

But in the end, like i said. He just needs to work on his mechanics, and he will do good. I don't think he will be the likes of Peyton, Drew, or Tom, but he will do good.

atlxpat
07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
vick didnt have good recievers around him? matt ryan made it to the playoffs with jenkins and roddy, and dont tell me it was because we had turner running it because vick had an even more elusive running game

03RCode
07-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I disagree. He was NOT a great QB. A good one? Probably. But definitely not great. Later, QD.

For sure. Vick was a talented athlete, but far from a GREAT QB. I always thought of him as one of the most overrated players in the game, even in his VT days.

CALIWEST
07-22-2009, 01:09 PM
vick didnt have good recievers around him? matt ryan made it to the playoffs with jenkins and roddy, and dont tell me it was because we had turner running it because vick had an even more elusive running game

jenkins and roddy have developed into the receivers they are now. If Matt Ryan had them when they were in the time of Vick's "era" as QB for Atlanta. He would not have done what he did now. The O line is better and due to the lack of most teams thinking roddy white and michael jenkins as a premier receiver, most CB laid back n played loose.

VIP Style
07-22-2009, 02:14 PM
exactly! roddy and jenkins were not even developed, if ryan was playing with the same scheme and line vick had, ryan would probably struggle bad.
jenkins and roddy have developed into the receivers they are now. If Matt Ryan had them when they were in the time of Vick's "era" as QB for Atlanta. He would not have done what he did now. The O line is better and due to the lack of most teams thinking roddy white and michael jenkins as a premier receiver, most CB laid back n played loose.

VIP Style
07-22-2009, 02:17 PM
your not even considering how many of those passes were dropped. sure every QB has balls that just get away from them, but vick is far from the worse QB to ever play the position. high passer ratings do not translate to automatic wins for the team, just look at drew brees for example.

bigdare23
07-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Yeah, If you compare him to a traditional QB, but we all know he wasn't.

bigdare23
07-22-2009, 02:28 PM
For sure. Vick was a talented athlete, but far from a GREAT QB. I always thought of him as one of the most overrated players in the game, even in his VT days.

Overrated?

He made the whole NFL change their defensive approach when they played the Falcons in their prime. If one man forces you put an extra man in the box every snap, he has to be a threat.

nsany(atl)
07-22-2009, 02:31 PM
your not even considering how many of those passes were dropped. sure every QB has balls that just get away from them, but vick is far from the worse QB to ever play the position. high passer ratings do not translate to automatic wins for the team, just look at drew brees for example.

I have had season tickets on the 40 yard line for 10 years, the passes were dropped b/c they were 10 feet over the recievers head or behind them. He was only good one year, until the league figured out his novility. O line has nothing to do with a QB whose 1st option is run out of the pocket then look to throw. What good is a O line if your not a pocket passer?

quickdodgeŽ
07-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah, If you compare him to a traditional QB, but we all know he wasn't.

I'm comparing him in his position of play. A quarterback. Traditional or no. He wasn't great. Now could he have been great? Sure. Maybe. You don't play a few seasons and come out great. It takes years of consistent, seasoned playing to become great. Along your reasoning, Matt Ryan is a great QB.

No. Later, QD.

CALIWEST
07-22-2009, 10:38 PM
i wouldn't say matt ryan is a great QB. First season doesn't mean everything. could have been a fluke. but at least he isn't no ryan leaf

BanginJimmy
07-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Vicks best season wasnt as good as Ryan's rookie season.

Vick can win any game, but he will NEVER be a consistent winner in the NFL. Now that more teams are using running QB's his luster will fade dramatically.

pbstarr1
07-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Vicks best season wasnt as good as Ryan's rookie season.

Vick can win any game, but he will NEVER be a consistent winner in the NFL. Now that more teams are using running QB's his luster will fade dramatically.

But none of those QB's can match his talent and you know it. Name one that run 4.2 40. This guy can throw 60-70 yard bullet pass, all he needs is the right people around him and he will do just fine!!!

81911SC
07-27-2009, 11:22 PM
But none of those QB's can match his talent and you know it. Name one that run 4.2 40. This guy can throw 60-70 yard bullet pass, all he needs is the right people around him and he will do just fine!!!No he won't, he'll just decide to run half the time again.