PDA

View Full Version : Batlground: 240SX Sub enclosure W/ Amp

Batlground
07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
This job was done with weight savings in mind, but without sacrificing sound quality. Box is made out of wood and a fiberglass one is in the future. Still plenty of trunk space and a nice tuck on the amp. Box weight with the sub is 41 lbs. and is placed opposite of the battery relocation.

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq208/batlground/customer%20cars/Brandon%20S14/DSCN0372.jpg
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq208/batlground/customer%20cars/Brandon%20S14/DSCN0371.jpg

drpepper14
07-17-2009, 07:00 PM
yall def need a new box builder and a/v guy. PM me for more info on a very well known box builder looking for work, and I can def come do yalls a/v installs if you want some cleaner work done

Tracy
07-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Looks to me like someone wanted something that is light and that they could pull out easily. You need to consider the customer, the purpose and the budget. Doesn't look like a rich Escalade owner to me.

But hey, what do I know?

drpepper14
07-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Regardless of wanting it light/removable/on a budget

It is the INSTALL and EXECUTION that look sloppy. Do you not do a proper install if someone is on a budget? I know that's not true because you guys do excellent work with the mechanical aspect of the vehicles, but there is def. room for improvement in the car audio/video dept.

Batlground
07-17-2009, 07:50 PM
We have plenty more for you to critique. thank you for the input though. Hopefully the next one you see will impress more.

drpepper14
07-17-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm not trying to put down anybody. I know Batlground does excellent work in every other area as i've seen plenty of cars that have come out of your shop, but hopefully some improvement is made in the car audio dept. @ batlground.

b@d @pple
07-17-2009, 11:06 PM
what the fuck

b@d @pple
07-17-2009, 11:15 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/AllState%20Ford%20Escape/DSC00345.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/Black%20Dodge%20Magnum/IMG_6617.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/BMW%20M6/IMG_0330.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/CL550/DSC00083_1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/dinan%20m5/IMG_0326.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/G35/DSC00039-2.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/JL%20Dodge%20Magnum/DSC00080-2.jpg

HERES A FEW OF MY INSTALLS IF ANYONE NEEDS SOME HELP...GET ON MY LEVEL.

Tracy
07-18-2009, 09:36 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/AllState%20Ford%20Escape/DSC00345.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/Black%20Dodge%20Magnum/IMG_6617.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/BMW%20M6/IMG_0330.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/CL550/DSC00083_1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/dinan%20m5/IMG_0326.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/G35/DSC00039-2.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/jdmsnatchback/JL%20Dodge%20Magnum/DSC00080-2.jpg

HERES A FEW OF MY INSTALLS IF ANYONE NEEDS SOME HELP...GET ON MY LEVEL.

Beautiful! BUT They all look like show car "Escalades" and not a 240 with 4-500 hp. Apples and oranges? I can guarantee that this person didn't want a full enclosure that takes up all of his trunk, covered in leather and weighs 200 lbs. Like I said, looks like he wanted a SIMPLE box for his ONE speaker that was light and easy to remove. I will go ahead and say again that the stuff you posted is beautiful.

I guess I should shut up since I am into racing more than stereos. I don't know what constitutes a non-proper install if it works and is done to the customers instructions. So I will concede and let the guys respond. I know the set up in my Subaru was beautiful. I'll find the pics and post them later.

But thanks for everyone's input.

Swagger
07-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Regardless of being on a budget or wanting to keep it light.. whatever the case may be... The install looks like shit. Nothing to write home about and sure as fuck not anything to brag about.

Looks like something a high school kid could do on a saturday afternoon.

Just sayin

Barefoot
07-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Regardless of being on a budget or wanting to keep it light.. whatever the case may be... The install looks like shit. Nothing to write home about and sure as fuck not anything to brag about.

Looks like something a high school kid could do on a saturday afternoon.

Just sayinreal talk.

b@d @pple
07-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Beautiful! BUT They all look like show car "Escalades" and not a 240 with 4-500 hp. Apples and oranges? I can guarantee that this person didn't want a full enclosure that takes up all of his trunk, covered in leather and weighs 200 lbs. Like I said, looks like he wanted a SIMPLE box for his ONE speaker that was light and easy to remove. I will go ahead and say again that the stuff you posted is beautiful.

I guess I should shut up since I am into racing more than stereos. I don't know what constitutes a non-proper install if it works and is done to the customers instructions. So I will concede and let the guys respond. I know the set up in my Subaru was beautiful. I'll find the pics and post them later.

But thanks for everyone's input.

cmon now..im not even talking about the amount of work or equipment or even price..im talking about taking pride in what one does..that is not prideful work..if you cant put out the kind of work expected from a your shop,dont put it out..im not doing motor swaps ..why because its not my specialty..car audio is..budget and price are only a small deciding factor of what an install should look like..

Batlground
07-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Its ultimately the customers decision what they want to spend and how long they want us to spend on it. They have a choice and they are the people that we are pleasing.

They make the decision if they want to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ or if they want to spend $.

When you spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ you get one thing. When you spend $ you get another. The majority of our customers dont want something that costs a bunch of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, WEIGHS A TON, and is stuck together with fiberglass, wood, contact cement, velcro, staples and wood glue. THEY WANT LIGHTWEIGHT AND FUNCTIONAL, OH AND INEXPENSIVE

Badapple, I have seen your work. Its great. Do you give it away for $ or do you charge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for it? You dont have to answer that, we know the anwser.

By the way, this is the only one that impresses me. I am not into cheap vinyl, fake leather, and carpet glued over everything. Anyone can nit pick anyones elses work to death, thats easy.

quickdodge®
07-18-2009, 12:11 PM
..that is not prideful work..if you cant put out the kind of work expected from a your shop,dont put it out..im not doing motor swaps ..why because its not my specialty..car audio is.

This sums it up very well. BG is known for tuning abilities and such. They are not known for A/V. Between this thread and the one with the satellite "install" I'd have to say that I wouldn't really be promoting the A/V side of BG. I completely understand you saying this is what the customer wants, but it isn't very becoming of BG material. This isn't promotable stuff. It seems to be a downgrade to you guys.

And I hate saying that because BG is the only shop that I really like.

Please don't hate me, Tracy. Later, QD.

Vteckidd
07-18-2009, 12:24 PM
That's brandons car haha. Brandon prob doesn't care at all as long as the car runs good.

But I agree , $ doesn't determine quality. If it does don't do the job. If I want to tune my supra and I only have $100 would you tune it ? No you'd turn me away until I had the money to do it right. You wouldn't half ass tune my car then blame it on the customer for having too little Money to do a quality job.

Same holds true here. I'd think a marketing person would understand that :)

I don't doubt you guuys can do better but this isn't something I think you use to showcase your work. It's not innovative ;)

heard that 240 will get down though !

b@d @pple
07-18-2009, 12:27 PM
There is no need to take what I'm saying negatlively. I'm just saying money shouldn't affect quality. If it does. Don't do the job.

Tracy
07-18-2009, 12:29 PM
This sums it up very well. BG is known for tuning abilities and such. They are not known for A/V. Between this thread and the one with the satellite "install" I'd have to say that I wouldn't really be promoting the A/V side of BG. I completely understand you saying this is what the customer wants, but it isn't very becoming of BG material. This isn't promotable stuff. It seems to be a downgrade to you guys.

And I hate saying that because BG is the only shop that I really like.

Please don't hate me, Tracy. Later, QD.I'm not mad at anyone. :D I am cool. As long as people want to keep it civil, I am cool with the discussion.

I hear what people are saying and we will take all the work that comes is...even if everyone else doesn't approve. I'm sure everyone is aware of the economy, 10.1% now? As long as a customer leaves with exactly what he wanted, then we did a good job and we are still making money.

P.S. The satellite "install"=$40 and 25 minutes. You get what you pay for. $1 menu at McDonald's, not a Big Mac, but some people are hungry and can only afford the $1. Should McDonald's not sell the $1 menu because they are best known for their Big Mac or should they open up their market to accommodate more people?

Tracy
07-18-2009, 12:31 PM
That's brandons car haha. Brandon prob doesn't care at all as long as the car runs good.

But I agree , $ doesn't determine quality. If it does don't do the job. If I want to tune my supra and I only have $100 would you tune it ? No you'd turn me away until I had the money to do it right. You wouldn't half ass tune my car then blame it on the customer for having too little Money to do a quality job.

Same holds true here. I'd think a marketing person would understand that :)

I don't doubt you guuys can do better but this isn't something I think you use to showcase your work. It's not innovative ;)

heard that 240 will get down though !

There is nothing functionally wrong with the install. It's just not as beautiful as some people would like. So, there is not a lack of quality, just beauty. Big difference IMO. Tuning is a little bit more delicate and...you can pay $100 for tuning, just ask MSPi. We do tuning for $100 on an SAFC, so yes we do tuning for $100. AEM, no, but I'm sure if people could afford it they wold much rather have the AEM. People do what they can afford. But if someone paid us more than $40, I'm sure it would be beautiful.

The boys weren't here for the innovation speech, so they won't get ya on that one :D besides we aren't trying to one up anyone with our installs, so it is out of context for my thread.

quickdodge®
07-18-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm not mad at anyone. :D I am cool. As long as people want to keep it civil, I am cool with the discussion.

I hear what people are saying and we will take all the work that comes is...even if everyone else doesn't approve. I'm sure everyone is aware of the economy, 10.1% now? As long as a customer leaves with exactly what he wanted, then we did a good job and we are still making money.

P.S. The satellite "install"=$40 and 25 minutes. You get what you pay for. $1 menu at McDonald's, not a Big Mac, but some people are hungry and can only afford the $1. Should McDonald's not sell the $1 menu because they are best known for their Big Mac or should they open up their market to accommodate more people?

Point taken on doing (most) any job coming your way. But I have to stand by my conviction that these two threads were maybe better off not made? As in they are not good for BG's advancement or possible future customer base. Maybe you have someone that isn't familiar with BG and they find you on here and wherever else you may have posted this. They see these pics and think, "damn this sucks." They might train that thought to other avenues of your business and think that if the "stereo" side of BG is not about cleanliness and eye-appealing, then the rest of their shop operates on the same level.My words may be coming out in not so much a correct format, but I know you're smart enough to get what I'm saying. Later, QD.

Tracy
07-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Point taken on doing (most) any job coming your way. But I have to stand by my conviction that these two threads were maybe better off not made? As in they are not good for BG's advancement or possible future customer base. Maybe you have someone that isn't familiar with BG and they find you on here and wherever else you may have posted this. They see these pics and think, "damn this sucks." They might train that thought to other avenues of your business and think that if the "stereo" side of BG is not about cleanliness and eye-appealing, then the rest of their shop operates on the same level.My words may be coming out in not so much a correct format, but I know you're smart enough to get what I'm saying. Later, QD.I totally get what you are saying and what's done is done, eh? Luckily for us on this occasion, this is a discussion forum and we get the chance to justify ourselves. So, people searching and seeing this thread will read all of the comments and hopefully understand. Maybe now they will see that we don't just do expensive work on race cars. Which has been a problem in the recent past—losing out on business because people assume they can't afford us.

b@d @pple
07-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Best of luck

Swagger
07-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Stick to what you do best...

Sall I'm saying.

Tracy
07-18-2009, 04:32 PM
There is no need to take what I'm saying negatlively. I'm just saying money shouldn't affect quality. If it does. Don't do the job.
I ain't mad at ya babe. I could never be mad at you. To be honest, I am more angry that you changed your location for your profile ;)

drpepper14
07-18-2009, 05:17 PM
In terms of that satellite radio install, I charge about the same, and can do it in the same amount if not less in that car....except my antenna is run through the trunk through a factory grommet w/ silicone and my wire management is much better.

Just reiterating what I said earlier and what everyone else has said in both threads. Regardless of budget and time, pride should be taken in the work and done neatly. I don't half way do a simple install on a tahoe, but turn around and make sure my work is immaculate on a porsche...I take my time and make something I AM personally proud of each time.

Once again, if ya want someone that can do this work in 25 minutes but make it pretty, shoot me a pm lol

Tracy
07-18-2009, 05:25 PM
In terms of that satellite radio install, I charge about the same, and can do it in the same amount if not less in that car....except my antenna is run through the trunk through a factory grommet w/ silicone and my wire management is much better.

Just reiterating what I said earlier and what everyone else has said in both threads. Regardless of budget and time, pride should be taken in the work and done neatly. I don't halway do a simple install on a tahoe, but turn around and make sure my work is immaculate on a porsche...I take my time and make something I AM personally proud of each time.

Once again, if ya want someone that do this work in 25 minutes but make it pretty, shoot me a pm lol

We take pride in our work, babe and my position stands regardless of your opinion and business model (although your input is def appreciated). If we wanted to PM ya, we would have done it the first or 2nd time you said it :) I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Post the pics when you have them. I'd love to see the $40 job done better. Heat shrink and the whole deal? I'm excited to see. Real talk.

drpepper14
07-18-2009, 05:28 PM
I've got some pics from today of a quick job in a 98 TL...not mounted in the windshield, but once again as we all know it is mounted where the customer wanted it.

I'll post when I get home from work

and i'd like to make my point again Tracy...i'm in no way bad mouthing Batlground. One of the few shops i'd let touch my cars period. I've got a job so didn't need the pm lol but no offense taken either way!

drpepper14
07-18-2009, 05:29 PM
btw + reps for you Tracy for being a good sport

Tracy
07-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Ha Ha! I am cool. We win 99.99999% of the time. Not bad, IMO. No one can win em all all of the time. Thanks for the feedback.

:)

ueyedgr8tness
07-18-2009, 08:14 PM
I have to agree with some of the other kats.I really like BG because of the cars that come out of there shop u can only expect the best because that is what you guy's do no doubt!! I would of never thought this would have came out of your shop if the OG didn't post it.

P.s on the bright side u guy's still have the baddest whips coming out of your garage hands down :)

TIGERJC
07-18-2009, 09:47 PM
This is not something I want to see when I am shopping for shop to drop and install another motor in my evo and do other work on the car. You should not push away customers who like the repetition that yall only work on race cars

chnco
07-19-2009, 04:10 PM
you guys are a bunch of whiney bitches!! Yea I said it! lol

Tracy
07-19-2009, 04:12 PM
This is not something I want to see when I am shopping for shop to drop and install another motor in my evo and do other work on the car. You should not push away customers who like the repetition that yall only work on race carsUh, I have to say that we aren't pushing away anyone. Kind of the point here :)

DynamicSound
07-19-2009, 04:21 PM
As far as the Sirius install, it is fine. I would of made the wires behind the Satellite unit a little more snug and I would of added the plastic cover on the antenna wire to make it look clean as it enters the window mold. But besides that, like they said, the customer probably wanted it mounted like that. I had a customer in a HHR that wanted his navigation antenna mounted above his driverside door. The install was clean, but looked stupid to me.

As for the sub/amp install, they should of went with a prefab enclosure if they were on a budget. This way it would of been super clean and carpeted perfectly. Plus would of saved time building a box (assuming they built it). Then the sub is turned wierd and the wires from the amp are not ran good...like the power wires going straight down, but the RCA's go down and show back up below the amp. I think they are saying that a few more minutes could have been involved to make it look clean...might of looked cheap, but from an install POV, it would of been clean.

Reminds me of MegaMaxx in Marietta. I had an enclosure built there a few years ago. So I had them go ahead and install my amp/sub since they were already working on my car with the custom built enclosure. So when I picked it up, the sub was not centered, the amps were halfway mounted on top of the enclosure, and the wires were all over the place. Looked like a 16 did it as their first install. I was pissed, but paid and left. Then redid the wiring and mounting to make it look super clean. After talking to an installer that used to work there, the owners (at the time, not sure about now) were all about pumping out jobs and did not care about quality...just get it done as fast as possible.

Tracy
07-19-2009, 04:34 PM
As far as the Sirius install, it is fine. I would of made the wires behind the Satellite unit a little more snug and I would of added the plastic cover on the antenna wire to make it look clean as it enters the window mold. But besides that, like they said, the customer probably wanted it mounted like that. I had a customer in a HHR that wanted his navigation antenna mounted above his driverside door. The install was clean, but looked stupid to me.

As for the sub/amp install, they should of went with a prefab enclosure if they were on a budget. This way it would of been super clean and carpeted perfectly. Plus would of saved time building a box (assuming they built it). Then the sub is turned wierd and the wires from the amp are not ran good...like the power wires going straight down, but the RCA's go down and show back up below the amp. I think they are saying that a few more minutes could have been involved to make it look clean...might of looked cheap, but from an install POV, it would of been clean.

Reminds me of MegaMaxx in Marietta. I had an enclosure built there a few years ago. So I had them go ahead and install my amp/sub since they were already working on my car with the custom built enclosure. So when I picked it up, the sub was not centered, the amps were halfway mounted on top of the enclosure, and the wires were all over the place. Looked like a 16 did it as their first install. I was pissed, but paid and left. Then redid the wiring and mounting to make it look super clean. After talking to an installer that used to work there, the owners (at the time, not sure about now) were all about pumping out jobs and did not care about quality...just get it done as fast as possible.

Shouldn't remind you of anyone that pumps out work and cared about quantity and not quality. We just don't do that :) The rest of your comments are opinion and you are entitled to them. I just needed to address that one sentence.

DynamicSound
07-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Shouldn't remind you of anyone that pumps out work and cared about quantity and not quality. We just don't do that :) The rest of your comments are opinion and you are entitled to them. I just needed to address that one sentence.

No, not saying that was you guys. Just saying the whole thread reminded me of what I thought when I picked the car up. The pumping work out was something I found out about the owner later.

Installer88
07-19-2009, 11:09 PM
First, Go to the dragstrip and run at least a 11 sec pass with ANY of those systems, you guys have posted still in place.
Second, The system in Brandon's car was so he would have bass. A prefab box would not fit there, to counter the weight of the Battery on the other side.
Third, The rca's you see poking up under the amp are pre run for a 4 channel that is going to be installed when a fiberglass box is built.
Fourth, The sub is mounted that way is so I could get the bottom screw into the box.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x293/installer88/P070828002.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x293/installer88/P070822002.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x293/installer88/P071121002.jpg
sorry for the cellphone pics, but here are some other things I have indtalled/built.

b@d @pple
07-20-2009, 02:39 AM
actually 2 of those cars make over 650hp and im sure have no problem running into the 11s..not to mention even at 100-150 pounds in weight additional from an install isnt going to effect track times but by a 10th or 2

Tracy
07-20-2009, 08:14 AM
actually 2 of those cars make over 650hp and im sure have no problem running into the 11s..not to mention even at 100-150 pounds in weight additional from an install isnt going to effect track times but by a 10th or 2

That's awesome. Which 2?

I know that we took at least 150 lbs out of our 240's to save weight. I think we took most of it out of the door panels alone.

b@d @pple
07-20-2009, 08:20 AM
the black bmw m6 is a stage 3 Dinan car..
the red bmw m5 is a supercharged Dinan car
same customer owns both cars..beautiful and fast as hell..kinda scary

Tracy
07-20-2009, 08:24 AM
the black bmw m6 is a stage 3 Dinan car..
the red bmw m5 is a supercharged Dinan car
same customer owns both cars..beautiful and fast as hell..kinda scary
Awesome. Dinan huh? I know how much that costs!!!!!! M6 is a lovely car!! I'll take one. I'm going to have to assume that their fist priority isn't saving weight though. LOL.

b@d @pple
07-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Awesome. Dinan huh? I know how much that costs!!!!!! M6 is a lovely car!! I'll take one. I'm going to have to assume that their fist priority isn't saving weight though. LOL.

yea the owner is a mid 50s bmw nut..the m6 is a fully built all motor that makes 725 and the the m5 is a stock motor with bolt ons and a charger that make 650