PDA

View Full Version : broken crankshaft? is it repairable?

PD code 805D
07-15-2009, 11:15 PM
ok soooo heres the deal... i bought a mercury mountaineer for 500 that had a broken crank shaft.

It is a 5.0L v8 and when we pulled the motor we found the noise was a broken crankshaft. this is all the damage that we found. I purchased the NEW crankshaft at advanced auto parts today but the question is.... Do people normally just replace the crank and bearings or is there more to it then i am seeing....it seems too simple.

i will be replacing:
crankshaft and bearings
timing chain and gears
front and rear seals
and the oil....lol

car runs fine other than it vibrating from crank.---->BUT( cylinder 1 and 5 are misfiring) what could be the cause?

i am very upset over this bc im having a kid soon and need to fix and sell it.

silversol
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
you should just return what you bought and buy a junk yard motor from a reliable company "not pull a part" install and call it a day! there is probably damage to the block and connecting rods as well. if your set on rebuilding what you have you need to have the blocked looked over by the machine shop! there is probably damage your not seeing!

Tech5
07-19-2009, 11:29 AM
you should just return what you bought and buy a junk yard motor from a reliable company "not pull a part" install and call it a day! there is probably damage to the block and connecting rods as well. if your set on rebuilding what you have you need to have the blocked looked over by the machine shop! there is probably damage your not seeing!

I agree

MachNU
07-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Yep agree with silver sol! probably need to have the block cleaned, honed out, have all the rods checked and have the block checked for cracks!

PD code 805D
07-22-2009, 09:17 AM
i had the crank replaced . luckily the only thing bad was the crank and oil pump. Crank had a manufacturing defect. but the way it broke was perfect because it still turned all cylinders.

i am selling the car now. it is very quite ..lol it doesnt make any noises just the ABS light is still on

SouthSide Tay
07-22-2009, 02:36 PM
i wouldnt buy it it? thats kinda sketchy

Tech5
07-22-2009, 05:31 PM
i wouldnt buy it it? thats kinda sketchy

this is why its hard to trust people these days buying used cars

X-Runner
07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Glad I saw this thread I was had told someone about the for sale thread for that truck!