PDA

View Full Version : Is At&t Bs-ing us?

dartingd
07-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Do you HAVE to have a data plan to buy a blackberry from them? I know with the Iphone you get the data plan, but if my wife gets the Curve 8900 that has wifi, walmart told us that you have to get the data plan. That's not directly at&t, but I just wanted to check and make sure. If you do, my wife's getting a different phone. One data plan is enough for us (my Iphone). Thanks!

TIGERJC
07-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Do you HAVE to have a data plan to buy a blackberry from them? I know with the Iphone you get the data plan, but if my wife gets the Curve 8900 that has wifi, walmart told us that you have to get the data plan. That's not directly at&t, but I just wanted to check and make sure. If you do, my wife's getting a different phone. One data plan is enough for us (my Iphone). Thanks!
A lot of agents will tell you that b/c they are discounting thier phones a lot and they make up the difference with forcing data plans or putting other features on your account. Only the Iphone requires a data plan

JayL
07-15-2009, 10:10 PM
att, and blackberry i know for sure, they require that you pay for the $30 blackberry data plan if you have a blackberry from them

JayL
07-15-2009, 10:11 PM
^^well, after reading what tigerjc said.. i could be wrong about att, but verizon is what i have, and they wont let me add another blackberry without a data plan

choiiiiiiiii
07-15-2009, 10:12 PM
^^well, after reading what tigerjc said.. i could be wrong about att, but verizon is what i have, and they wont let me add another blackberry without a data plan

+1

TIGERJC
07-15-2009, 10:15 PM
trust me, the only phone that technically needs a data plan is the iphone. Also its not att, its walmart that wants that data plan to make up the cost of the phone. If you really are worried about it, just buy the phone at corporate att store thats a little more expensive but I bet they won't f up your account

sogood
07-15-2009, 10:20 PM
No, Wal-mart is bs-ing you.

Kasper
07-15-2009, 11:02 PM
uh dude... just go to best buy and get one. forget goin to walmart! go to people that know what the hell is goin on and can prob get a better deal for you..

Blitanicle99
07-16-2009, 01:08 AM
No, if you don't use the internet much you don't have to buy the plan. I never did on my black berry but I never used the internet on it. If you use the internet, yes you gotta ge a data plan, and email is really handy on it. I have it on my work phone, hell yes... paid for..

MeFryRice
07-16-2009, 07:48 AM
uh dude... just go to best buy and get one. forget goin to walmart! go to people that know what the hell is goin on and can prob get a better deal for you..

Not always the case. I can't tell you how many times we had to correct a customer's account when they upgraded at Best Buy. But yes, Best Buy does have some good deals.

Oh and TigerJC is correct.

Kelly
07-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Do you HAVE to have a data plan to buy a blackberry from them?

Yep, you do with Verizon too...

all_american_gurl09
07-16-2009, 07:55 AM
wal-mart is bsing you go through the place or go directly to an att store

Kelly
07-16-2009, 08:01 AM
I dunno about AT&T but with Verizon, even at the "store", you HAVE to buy the data plan with any blackberry... I wanted a pearl, but refuse to pay an extra $40 a month for the plan. Just sayin...

tinkolby_25
07-16-2009, 10:36 AM
I dunno about AT&T but with Verizon, even at the "store", you HAVE to buy the data plan with any blackberry... I wanted a pearl, but refuse to pay an extra $40 a month for the plan. Just sayin...

with verizon you have to have the data plan with any pda phone

deathrex
07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
i have at&t and no you are not requried to have a data plan to have a blackberry my dad has a blackberry now and didnt open the account with the data plan. he then added a data plan a few months later then cancled it cause it was worthless and slow.

MeFryRice
07-16-2009, 12:55 PM

Why buy a blackberry if your not even going to use it for it's main purpose? Kind of pointless to me. :thinking:

Julio
07-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Data plan is only needed if you are going to use media shit on a regular basis.. Simple.

Data plan is not needed for any PDA.. but whats the point of having a PDA without a data plan..? Oh wait, bling factor.

@ Verizon is B.S , they will force you to get the PDA plan in order to get your discount. Simple, get the data plan, then cancel it after the 1st month and just tell the Rep you got another phone.

But once again, whats the point of having a PDA without a data plan ? Bling factor.

50% of people with PDA's dont need them. Dont know how to use them properly. Just want to look cool while sending a text message.

PDA's are more now to Browse social sites and instantly update your status on those sites. But you can do that on a regular cellphone with Internet, but no bling factor.

Turbo04
07-16-2009, 04:07 PM
ATT did make my sis get the data plan when she got her BB directly from them, also my father went to get a BB and again they said if you are getting a BB from then you have to get the plan with it. ( Sis got hers from ATT by calling them directly, father from an ATT store) I have a BB but I did not get through them and I did not get the data plan.

bowdown201
07-16-2009, 04:12 PM
AT&T gave my dad his Blackberry without the data plan. I think he called and bs'd a while with the salesperson and they gave him the plan without the data plan

pInoy_R
07-16-2009, 04:12 PM
With regards on any smartphone it requires a dataplan. What I did was just give my sister the phone and didn't add data on her plan and she was able to run the phone regularly and I haven't yet to pay for a dataplan on her line. She doesn't need it anyways.

Killer
07-16-2009, 05:27 PM
no you do not HAVE TO have the 30 dollar data plan...

i work at at&t...

Z0_o6
07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
I know with Verizon, they try to require you to have the data plan, but you don;t have to for the phone to work. God help you if you decide to do anything online with it though, if you don't have a data plan with your blackberry, the data charge is $15.36 per megabyte. That shit would add up QUICK.

ShooterMcGavin
07-17-2009, 08:20 AM
yes noob

gtikid
07-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Your NOT required to have the data plan on any AT&T pda unless it's an iphone. But like Julio said, what's the point of having an PDA without a data plan? Bling factor? Fuck that. That's what quick messaging phones are made for now. Don't try to look important by owning a Blackberry

UTsmokey14
07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
ive used blackberrys on ATT for over 18 months and the $30 data plan is required (and worth it) if you buy the blackberry from any ATT store or affiliate. Buy your blackberry on ebay to avoid the $30 a month data charge.

ShooterMcGavin
07-17-2009, 01:04 PM
right, basically if you want the phone discount you have to be on the data plan, otherwise you can pay regular price and get whatever plan you want.