PDA

View Full Version : Car turns over, but will not start

blacknightteg
07-14-2009, 09:26 PM
alright so i get out of work today and get in my car to go home, turn the key, and nothing. interior lights come on, the motor is turning over, but the motor will not start. did a spark plug test, no spark, tightened the shit out of the battery terminals. I also checked the distributor, the cap looks good. checked the fuses for the ecu, ecu fuse is still in tacked. so thats the problem, to put it simply like said before, and in the title; the car turns over, the car wont start. i can smell fuel like its trying to get to the injectors, but it wont spark. anyone know what it could be? now also keep in mind, i had my engine swapped a month or so ago to a b20. just for a little back ground. i had also been having idle problems for a while and now it just wont start.

JITB
07-14-2009, 09:30 PM
no spark!

distributor is prob out.. start cheap tho, and change the cap and rotor button..but more likely its the disty! im sure u can find one for pennies on here.

blacknightteg
07-14-2009, 09:33 PM
eh, i already have it towed to a shop. i wouldnt be able to do the timing on my own, i would need to watch someone do it. im just hoping it wont be a damn expensive fix.

JITB
07-14-2009, 09:47 PM
eh, i already have it towed to a shop. i wouldnt be able to do the timing on my own, i would need to watch someone do it. im just hoping it wont be a damn expensive fix.

u wont need to re time it, just take the disty.. mark ur wires, and make sure you know the order..and put it back on! it shouldnt be too much, but a new disty isnt cheap!

blacknightteg
07-14-2009, 09:49 PM
yeah. i know, oh well. ill get over it. i just need to get it done and done right. thats one thing i dont want to mess with just yet.

gsrteg
07-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Before you start replacing stuff (like distributor, cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires, etc...)

check if your timing belt didnt snap, or timing is off.

-By doing so, take your spark plug wires off (make sure you label them to ensure you put them back in the correct slots).

-Then, take your valve cover off, and spark plugs (to crank the pulley easier).

-At this point, open you fusebox under hood and take the 15A fuse out (FI injector fuse), so no fuel is being injected as you manually crank the engine.

-Next, turn your steering wheel to move wheels so you get access to the crankpulley bolt.

-Use a rachet and specified socket to manually crank the engine, always crank counter clockwise (why...because the Acura/Honda service manual said so)

-Use rachet and crank your motor to Top dead center at the same time inspect the belt if any teeth are missing or belt not snap; to do so, there is a marker on the timing belt cover right under the driverside mount, the marker should align with the white mark on the crank pulley (if aftermarker pulley then it should be the line farthest away by itself)

-To ensure Top Dead Center, take the distributor cap off, and the rotor should be pointing to the #1 spark plug wire....

_to further ensure TDC, the cam gears should also align, with up arrows point up and lines on side of gears line up.

If timing belt is off or snapped, time to change with new one (use OEM for best results), and change water pump while at it. And, make sure you tightened the belt by pushin up the tensioner pulley up the belt when installed, then manually crank engine over 3 revolutions to ensure belt is tightened with right tension.

Next, it could be your Main relay gone bad (located under driver side dash, test it if its still good (check in Acura Manual). Here ya go:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/whoasnoopy/main2.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/whoasnoopy/main3.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/whoasnoopy/main1.jpg

If none of above, then use an ohm/volt meter, test if you have resistance along each spark plug wire, test the resistance for Ignition Coil and voltage for Ignition Control Module inside the distributor, and check if spark plugs are not fouled or messed up.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/whoasnoopy/ig1.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/whoasnoopy/ig2.jpg

Hope all works well, i know you sent car to shop already, but this will clear up some confusion for others.

Barefoot
07-14-2009, 11:43 PM
im in agreeing odds are your dizzy. now i have a question for u. y make a post looking for help an u already have the car at a shop getting worked on. like gsrteg gave u a bunch of good info. an u have no car to run the tests on. so what was the point. just asking

blacknightteg
07-15-2009, 07:19 AM
does it hurt to ask? i didnt think it did. cause im curious to know and maybe find out what it is before they do the tests on it at the place that i took it. excuse me for just being curious.

Z0_o6
07-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Not trying to be harsh here, BUT, if you are just a little curious, that's when you have the most freedom to use the search function. Since a shop is already working on the car, you have the extra time to search around on here and honda-tech for your problem. You never know, you may learn all kinds of cool things along the way.

P.S. I KNOW you read my guideline! what was the first tip? :D

NVEOUS
07-15-2009, 01:49 PM
It could be something as small as your coil in the dizzy went out It happened to my 96 civic two days after i bought it. Very cheap fix.

VickNotic
07-15-2009, 09:56 PM
It could be something as small as your coil in the dizzy went out It happened to my 96 civic two days after i bought it. Very cheap fix.

was bout to say the same the ignition coil 8D

cm7k24
07-15-2009, 10:50 PM
mine did the same thing.

in the end after 3 weeks it turned out to be vapor lock.
take off you gas cap and start it.

good and cheap start

Barefoot
07-15-2009, 10:55 PM
mine did the same thing.

in the end after 3 weeks it turned out to be vapor lock.
take off you gas cap and start it.

good and cheap startim guessing the didnt read past the first post.

cm7k24
07-15-2009, 10:56 PM
im guessing the didnt read past the first post.

lol no just the first one

Barefoot
07-15-2009, 11:08 PM
i can tell