PDA

View Full Version : Clear

On_Her_Face
07-14-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm not here to post about it cause I am sure most of you know about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdzC6HBIxCU

Pretty neat commercial, my parents are getting it soon. One of our neighbors works for them and I can't wait to test it out!!

civicturbo10
07-14-2009, 09:31 PM
read alot of horror stories about reliability and cancellation issues. Keep us updated...

On_Her_Face
07-15-2009, 10:57 AM
read alot of horror stories about reliability and cancellation issues. Keep us updated...

Really where did you hear this from? Just curious.

civicturbo10
07-21-2009, 11:40 PM
i googled clear reliability and issues....and started reading from there. Ideally, the price is very attractive but it gets to a point not even the price could keep me as a customer if you fail on alot of aspects.

I.E. metropcs. Price point is close to excellent but it does have severe downfalls. 99% of the people i asked first hand who had it, hated it for various reasons. To name a few - missed calls, poor reception, not getting voice mails...and the list goes on. 2009 maybe different...for them..

Like Clark Howard says: He accepts lower / shitty quality for lower pricing on many things. But some things are not worth it...

Clear service would fall in the some things are not worth it.... Even if it was just 10% of the time I would still switch. The issues would force me to switch....

Really where did you hear this from? Just curious.

JayL
07-21-2009, 11:44 PM
I have asked 2 people that i know have Clear, and they have been very pleased with their Home Internet service.
1 of the 2 people had the phone service and soon got rid of it because of missed calls, but other than that, everything was great for the price!

Brett
07-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I have the CLEAR service, I use it as my home internet, I didnt go with the option for home and outside use, I just bought the 1 USB card for the laptop and I have had no issues with it. I have found it connects very fast and speeds have been great, even last week in a really bad storm the signal never changed.

NovaScotia
07-22-2009, 12:18 PM
My retail outlet was targeted to sell this service before the hard launch in June. They demo'd an uncapped stream to me and told me this is what you get for sub-$30 a month. It was too good to be true. Once launch came and the packages were announced it was not so. They give you enough speed to compete with cable. Compared to the rest of the world thats slower than Christmas. Not to mention if you can clear 1T a month like I can the 100 gig cap is a buzz kill.

Verdict. Its a great idea with potential but since the market is there for them to make more money and provide less of a service I don't expect this to blow me away anytime soon. But if you like to browse on the go in the metro area or lightly at home and its available it MAY be cheaper than what you have currently.

Proceed with caution...
Reis

4dmin
07-22-2009, 12:23 PM
ThinLine on here is an authorized clear service provider. Contact them if you need the service or need to find out if your area is covered.

Brett
07-22-2009, 12:49 PM
My retail outlet was targeted to sell this service before the hard launch in June. They demo'd an uncapped stream to me and told me this is what you get for sub-$30 a month. It was too good to be true. Once launch came and the packages were announced it was not so. They give you enough speed to compete with cable. Compared to the rest of the world thats slower than Christmas. Not to mention if you can clear 1T a month like I can the 100 gig cap is a buzz kill.

Verdict. Its a great idea with potential but since the market is there for them to make more money and provide less of a service I don't expect this to blow me away anytime soon. But if you like to browse on the go in the metro area or lightly at home and its available it MAY be cheaper than what you have currently.

Proceed with caution...
Reis

I dont have a cap on how much I can use, I have unlimited for $50 a month.

civicturbo10
07-22-2009, 02:32 PM
PLease specify home or mobile service.

I have asked 2 people that i know have Clear, and they have been very pleased with their Home Internet service.
1 of the 2 people had the phone service and soon got rid of it because of missed calls, but other than that, everything was great for the price!

civicturbo10
07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Keep us updated. Maybe 3 and 5 month update....

I have the CLEAR service, I use it as my home internet, I didnt go with the option for home and outside use, I just bought the 1 USB card for the laptop and I have had no issues with it. I have found it connects very fast and speeds have been great, even last week in a really bad storm the signal never changed.

4dmin
07-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Since I am a clear rep, I will give you insight. Make sure you are in a good signal area. I have heard that people that are not in the good coverage area having issues. Then I hear the stories that the signal is great. If you go to the ThinLine IT Services sponsor section, there is another thread about CLEAR in there.

LMK..

civicturbo10
10-26-2009, 07:28 PM
bump need an update....people chime in who have it. What is your experience with it. Clear is advertising very aggressively this week - residential visit, phone call tonight. Reminds me of AOL in it's prime.....

Waiting for reviews to chime in....

civicturbo10
10-26-2009, 07:50 PM
This is exactly my point below, i pay a premium but it works plain and simple. I don't need some bs, reliability issues.

Got a review from here: http://www.yelp.com/topic/portland-clear-internet

__________________________________________________ _______
Meh. I got it and had it for less than a week before I decided to cancel. I live in close-in SE, and got the top of the line, $40 a month package, which was supposed to be the fastest. But from the beginning, the modem had issues with connectivity - and then once I got a connection, it was sloooow. Websites which are video-heavy, such as YouTube and Hulu, it seems to have problems with loading in under five minutes.

Example: I went to the Clear website to get the number to call to cancel - they give you a week's grace period after you sign up, after that, there's a $120 cancellation fee, which reduces by $10 for every month you keep the account - and the site was STILL loading three minutes later.

The Clear people tried to talk me out of cancelling, they thought maybe I had a bad modem or something that just needed troubleshooting, but honestly, I'd rather pay the extra $18 a month with Comcast to not have to constantly worry about my internet connection.

Tarzanman
10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Its a wireless signal and is going to be hit or miss with some people by virtue of the technology (I.E. Sprint SUCKS where I am even though there is a tower just down the road).

I would not recommend any wireless tech to anyone who is a heavy user (multiple GB transferred a month) compared with cable, but i would reccomend it to folks who:
1. like to sprit around town with their laptops
2. Move a lot (and don't want to mess with canceling and re-signing up for DSL/cable all the time)

IMO, its a slightly cheaper, more portable alternative to having DSL at home + tethering with your smartphone.

civicturbo10
10-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Sprint Nextel does suc the big one. It works but not w/o it's many faults.

Stormy weather reception poor
Indoor reception low / poor
Dropped calls @ 400 and 285 while on the road
Newer phone i760 resets often for no apparent reason (my older phone was more rock solid)

0p7!mu5
11-14-2009, 09:12 AM
I just got it and I haven't had much problems with it except for a signal issue at first but i fixed it. I'm a mile from like two towers. I talked to the customer service rep and he explained that i just need to aim the reciever toward a tower and it should pick up. So i just moved in to my window which faces that direction and I get like perfect signal. and when i was just using the card I did pretty good too. Supposedly im in a deadzone as far as they were concerned but i still managed to pick up a signal anyway. From what I hear there should be more towers built soon anyway so it may get better

guinness
11-14-2009, 06:40 PM
wow,just build a ghost/offsite/modified modem.....especially if you have comcast.there are holes all in their shit and there are even more ways to totally get the "total" and "complete" bandwidth you are wanting.

green91
11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Its a wireless service in its infancy... its not going to be without hickups. I would imagine the key is just having service in a strong service area. At the same time, i think DSL & cable are the way of the past. Wireless broadband is the true future.

con
11-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I have it, bought it on impulse. The signal literally fades three houses away from mine. With the home modem hanging from a beam in my attic I can get a connection with one bar of signal strength, but only when the weather is perfect. Only problem is that it is not strong enough for my Vonage VOIP. Drive down the street a bit and I get full strength with the mobile and the speed is great.

I'm considering parting with mine, so if anyone is interested in a free month of service I'll cover it in lieu of paying the full contract cancellation. Would require taking over my contract. I have the home & mobile $50 (price locked for 12mos.) + $10 (equip. rental) + tax.

ISAtlanta300
11-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Guy came to my house to try to sell me this chit.

Opened up his laptop and showed me: "Look at the signal... I am getting close to 6-7 mbps on speedtest. "

"Oh yea?" I said. Opened up MY laptop, showed him my speed via my wifi modem: 17.49 Mbps

"And that is wifi. Not direct connected" I told him. "My PS3 sometimes gives me 18-20 mbps".

Then he was like "ok well. how about mobility? Can you get that signal down the street?"

I was like "why the F would I want to go sit by the stop sign at the end of the street if I can sit comfortably in my home and surf?"

Told him "Look dude... I think it is a great thing if I was living downtown in a loft or something. I could take my laptop to starbucks and enjoy internet... go down to any restaurant and cafe and surf and stuff. But you can do that as well on any internet enabled cell phone from AT&T. Who goes out eating with a laptop under their arms?"

"Plus I am more comfortable having the access point somewhere in my house, where it only has to go through one or two walls, than relying on a system that has to go through two ceilings, plus the distance to the tower."

"Plus, gaming is much better on a direct connected cable line".

So, no... Clear is not for me.

civicturbo10
11-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Getting more neg vibe from this service than positive. And that includes this thread and info i gather from the web.

Had a bisch bug me on my cell yesterday and today about switching over. Told her look unless i hear good things from friends and i read more positives i can not switch, even for less money per month. The service needs to freakin work 99% of the time, like my comcast has...
Clear is so aggressive in marketing....home visit, tons of mail, phone calls, - AOL all over. I'll just watch them from the sidelines, maybe they will prevail just as metro PCS has. Number 5 behind the big four based on this article. I don't like even like metropcs....

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/1116/technology-mobile-4G-telephony-metropcs.html