PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods BOOST LEAK TEST???

CHADbee
07-11-2009, 12:38 AM
i was telling a friend today to do a boost leak test and how beneficial it is to making sure your turbo car is running right and it got me thinking. the "SRT4" is really bad about getting leaks and i do a boost leak test every month. do evo, sti, turbo honda, sr20, ect guys also do boost leaks tests this much? i know with my car just cause the gauge tells you its boosting right doesnt mean you dont have leaks and if it does the car isnt running at its full potential. so to get my question answered use the poll cause im interested in what everybody else does.

Turbd4DE
07-11-2009, 01:35 AM
I will test just when ever I think about doing one. Unless my car is acting up.

Z0_o6
07-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I use good couplers, piping that fits, and a good quality set of T-bolt clamps. I check it if I have a problem. It has never once leaked so far, up to 30psi. :D

-S Double C-
07-11-2009, 10:28 AM
i use ti check mine almost every weekend...ill be doing that again here soon after my civic is done

Batlground
07-11-2009, 10:34 AM
i was telling a friend today to do a boost leak test and how beneficial it is to making sure your turbo car is running right and it got me thinking. the "SRT4" is really bad about getting leaks and i do a boost leak test every month. do evo, sti, turbo honda, sr20, ect guys also do boost leaks tests this much? i know with my car just cause the gauge tells you its boosting right doesnt mean you dont have leaks and if it does the car isnt running at its full potential. so to get my question answered use the poll cause im interested in what everybody else does.

We do them when we think there is a problem. :D

I guess if you are confident with the work done on the car and all the connections then you dont have to do it all the time. If you have beads on all your pipes, good tbolt clamps, if all your vacuum lines have clamps on them then you should be good to go for a good period of time. I think its good to visually inspect it at every oil change.

CHADbee
07-11-2009, 02:17 PM
We do them when we think there is a problem. :D

I guess if you are confident with the work done on the car and all the connections then you dont have to do it all the time. If you have beads on all your pipes, good tbolt clamps, if all your vacuum lines have clamps on them then you should be good to go for a good period of time. I think its good to visually inspect it at every oil change.
yeah i should take up my boost leak issues with dodge fore sure :lmao:

the car is on stock intercooler, stock intercooler piping and stock vacuum lines. the intercooler and piping has never been off the car and 90% of the vacuum lines have never been removed and all of them are zip tied nice and tight.

then again these cars are bad about little leaks but it makes a difference when you lose a .5 PSI and the boost falls off faster toward redline. im pretty sure if it wasnt for boost leak tests i would have never gotten the car into 12's with $200 of HP increasing mods.

i guess other cars out there arent as bad with leaks so it isnt needed as much.

-S Double C-
07-11-2009, 02:22 PM
sr20's get leaks alot to as well as dsm's

ueyedgr8tness
07-11-2009, 03:57 PM
if you own a srt4 u should check it like every other week ROFL!! mine had leaks from hell and back.

İhris
07-21-2009, 03:23 PM
was doing one once a week on my MR2... had a leak down tester and a compressor that was always hooked up so i just figured hell why not lol

Batlground
07-21-2009, 03:29 PM
We actually just had a SRT-4 come in with boost leak problems. Started at the last hot pipe/hose before the intercooler and then when that one was fixed it blew off the pipe running to the Throttle body and then after that one was fixed it blew off at the turbo outlet. His pipes had all been modified tho. and we ended up replacing or fixing all of them.

TSiFTW
07-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Only checked once since I had my Talon. Never had a leak yet. (knock on wood) I have very high quality couplers and clamps though. How ever usually when I have the hood up I do inspect all the connections.

ScrapMetalDSM
07-21-2009, 05:53 PM
I check for boost leaks everytime I remove anything on the intake tract and have to put it back on

Axix23
07-21-2009, 06:42 PM
do it right the 1st time and don't gotta worry about it.. Half-ass it and you will always have to

eraser4g63
07-21-2009, 07:39 PM
I have never had a problem out of my RX-7, Guess thats what happens when its done right.

RedEj8
07-22-2009, 02:11 PM
MkIII Supra's tend to get boost leaks all the time.. 20 year old rubber couplers + worm screw clamps = boost leaks.

People make the leak testers using plumbing materials.

CHADbee
07-23-2009, 09:19 AM
do it right the 1st time and don't gotta worry about it.. Half-ass it and you will always have to
thats a ignorant statement.

Sneeky Ninja
07-23-2009, 10:07 AM
LOL at all the SRT-4's. I had a friend that I rode with and when he hit boost it would make this loud whisling noise. I told him it was a boost leak but he wouldn't listen. Finally when he dynoed it and it didn't make the power he believed me. I made him buy my dinner for that.

whatever210
07-26-2009, 11:45 AM
i know what a boost leak sounds like and how it feels so i dont have to check it at all unless i feel a problem or my boost controller shows other wise

oleblue
07-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Only when I think something is wrong then I will test it.

CaTcH22
08-02-2009, 11:12 AM
I would test anytime you mess with the intercooler piping.

Drummerboy
08-05-2009, 12:39 AM
I did one tonight actually. I knew i had a leak, but couldn't pin-point it. So i finally did a test. it was at the 2nd coupling on the hot pipe, the tbolt clamp had loosened itself.

All Brandname Turbonetics Couplings and Tbolt Clamps, and i still have leaks from time to time. Its not always about "quality products", Things happen, cars wear down, air finds ways out after time.

boostleak
08-05-2009, 01:09 AM
did some one say boostleak?!

On a serious note, no i haven't at least not yet because i don't need to.:D

scttydb411
08-29-2009, 11:36 PM
everytime i mash that right side pedal. test results...boost. must not be leaking.

seriously though, only when there is reason to believe their is a leak. never had to do one on my own car.

RJ's325ITS
09-10-2009, 01:08 PM
There are a lot of things that had to be in consideration when to do a boost leak.

1. If you running a draw-thru setup then you will feel it (car will misfire at times when the leak is big), and you will see it (A/F ratios will be way off target.

2. If you are in a blow-thru setup then you will not fell it since the leaking air hasn't been metered yet, but you will be able to see it by not achieving the desired boost level. But sometimes the leak is a cracked VAC line so you will not even see it.

3. There are numerous problems that have the same symptoms as a boost leak.

Most of the time after a asking the costumer a couple of questions I know if a boost leak test is a must, or if a visual inspection leads first.

Rafa

JR VQ 30 de
09-14-2009, 06:11 PM
man i need to do one asap