PDA

View Full Version : just a vtec question

Theycall_Metue
07-10-2009, 08:33 PM
ok i understand how vtec works but the question is.
i know that vtec hits harder when its warmer.
the bigger radiators that lowers your antifreeze temperature.. so if your engine temperature is lower ( cooler ) then wont that effect your vtec? meaning your vtec wont hit as hard:thinking:

j0nbunklah0m
07-10-2009, 08:36 PM
the bigger radiators that lowers your antifreeze temperature.. so if your engine temperature is lower ( cooler ) then wont that effect your vtec? meaning your vtec wont hit as hard:thinking:

from wat i understand, the cooler ur car is, the more power it will make. heat takes away power. never heard of vtec hitting hard kuz its warm..:thinking:

EmminoDaGreat
07-10-2009, 08:39 PM
vtecs engagement doesnt get harder, or more aggressive...
It either works or it doesnt...

If your car does not get up to operating temp it will not hit vtec
If you dont have a VSS signal your car will not hit vtec
If you do not have a knock sensor wired in/properly working vtec will not work
If you do not have proper oil pressure to the pins, and a properly working solenoid, vtec will not work.
There are a few more things, but this is just a small list...

Theycall_Metue
07-10-2009, 08:41 PM

If your car does not get up to operating temp it will not hit vtec
If you dont have a VSS signal your car will not hit vtec
If you do not have a knock sensor wired in/properly working vtec will not work
If you do not have proper oil pressure to the pins, and a properly working solenoid, vtec will not work.
There are a few more things, but this is just a small list...
i see

Tech5
07-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Cars,trucks,bikes,lawn mowers run better when its cool outside lets say

95 degrees VS 70 degrees more power!!!

Theycall_Metue
07-10-2009, 08:43 PM
i'v seen some people but cardboards in front of their radiator so i was just wondering

j0nbunklah0m
07-10-2009, 08:44 PM
i'v seen some people but cardboards in front of their radiator so i was just wondering

i think they do that for gas mileage purposes.. correct me if im wrong

Theycall_Metue
07-10-2009, 08:46 PM
i think they do that for gas mileage purposes.. correct me if im wrong
how would that make you have better/worse gas mileage?

Z0_o6
07-10-2009, 09:38 PM
People put cardboard over half the radiator when they have an upgraded cooling system and the car won't get up to operating temp in cooler weather. It won't help gas mileage any.

As Emmino stated, VTEC is either functional, or not. There is no "harder hit" or anything like that. Anyone who tells you there is, is full of shit. VTEC can SEEM to be more aggressive when you change the engagement point because the disparity between the two cam profiles is larger, but the performance will remain the same, you just may be able to get a little more midrange performance by lowering the engagement point when tuned on a dyno.

yellow ek
07-11-2009, 08:30 AM
A vtec engine with stock cams and no tuning loses power just before vtec engages. It is a marketing scheme to sell cars. With out that lose, the rush is not as great at the switch over point. People think just because it hits hard and gets loud it must be better.
Also, a cooler engine will make more power. That is why you let a car cool down between runs on a dyno. The more heat soaked a car gets the harder it is to reproduce the same HP numbers.

Batlground
07-11-2009, 10:02 AM

For the most part when the car is cooler it will make a little more power. If your car is hitting harder when its hot maybee your timing and fuel trims vs air temp and coolant temp are adjusted to add timing and pull fuel for hotter temps. That would make it feel like it is hitting harder.

Vteckidd
07-11-2009, 11:05 AM
VTEC should be a seamless transition. If its cracks very loud then you have VTEC in the wrong place.

silverDA
07-11-2009, 03:42 PM
mine use to CRack at 5500 and it was tuned/

Meatball546
07-12-2009, 12:24 AM
People put cardboard over half the radiator when they have an upgraded cooling system and the car won't get up to operating temp in cooler weather. It won't help gas mileage any.

If an upgraded cooling system is keeping the engine below operating temperature, something is wrong- most likely the thermostat. You could have a giant radiator and giant radiator fans, but the thermostat only circulates coolant through it when the engine needs to be cooled.

Z0_o6
07-12-2009, 01:47 AM
If an upgraded cooling system is keeping the engine below operating temperature, something is wrong- most likely the thermostat. You could have a giant radiator and giant radiator fans, but the thermostat only circulates coolant through it when the engine needs to be cooled.

The fact is, that when you have an upgraded cooling system, in cool weather, the engine can't get up to operating temp for the thermostat to work in a reasonable amount of time. If you put cardboard over half the radiator, the car will reach operating temperature faster, allowing you to have heat faster, and the car to run at it's most efficient temperature range faster as well.

D15B
07-12-2009, 02:30 PM

your right... my friend had a fluidine on his type-r that was way to big and it completely eliminated vtec... vtec wont kick in the cold untill the car warms up either has something to do with it not building enough pressure

teh_mugen18
07-13-2009, 08:11 PM
your right... my friend had a fluidine on his type-r that was way to big and it completely eliminated vtec... vtec wont kick in the cold untill the car warms up either has something to do with it not building enough pressure

No, lol reading ftw... See below. It has nothing to do with pressure. Maybe, the oil pressure but not the water pressure.http://importatlanta.com/forums/images/smilies/thinking.gif

If your car does not get up to operating temp it will not hit vtec.

ShrillMill
07-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Your not supost to hit vtec when your car(oil) is cold. or at start up.
Because your oil needs to be warm to move around better when its cold is drops do the bottom..
so you dont wana be hitting vtec with not alot of oil flowing around.

Meatball546
07-16-2009, 02:10 PM
The fact is, that when you have an upgraded cooling system, in cool weather, the engine can't get up to operating temp for the thermostat to work in a reasonable amount of time. If you put cardboard over half the radiator, the car will reach operating temperature faster, allowing you to have heat faster, and the car to run at it's most efficient temperature range faster as well.

If you're running an incorrect thermostat, then that would happen. But if you're running the right thermostat, it only opens at operating temperature. When the engine is cold and the thermostat is cold, the coolant still circulates through the engine, but it just bypasses the route through the radiator because it doesn't need cooling. Even with a hugely upgraded cooling system, the engine is going to heat up just as quickly as it would with the stock system.

Putting cardboard over the radiator to block airflow is just restricting its cooling capacity. You're not going to increase the engine's operating temperature or make the engine reach operating temperature more quickly by blocking the radiator. It's all down the the thermostat.