PDA

View Full Version : some questions for the bmw crowd!!

yojimbo
07-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I have been lookin into buying an e36 m3 and would like to ask; which year comes with less problems, what are the pro&cons, how expensive are they to modify, and how the over all feel of the car is. any help would be appreciated... also i would like to add that i've been doing a little searching and so far i haven't found one that catches my eye -- http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=300&address=30096&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=BMW&model=M3&make2=&start_year=1994&end_year=2000&min_price=1&max_price=15000&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=y&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&systime=&sownerid=96678&rdm=1247194718476 maybe some links or sites would be cool if anyone knows of some.

yojimbo
07-10-2009, 07:10 AM
found this site - http://www.bimmerforums.com/ anyone on this site post over dur?

Meatball546
07-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Yep. I'm on Bimmerforums. Same name. The ones made from 92-95 have a 240hp 3.0l engine, while the ones from 96-99 have a 240hp 3.2l engine, but it has more torque. The OBDI cars are much easier to tune if you want to go into serious modifications, but the OBDII cars are more reliable. I believe the 98 and 99 M3s had most all the common problems sorted out and are more reliable. You also get the convenience of OBDII, so the car tells you what's wrong. I love it. I've never driven one, but they're supposed to be a blast. Good luck looking, man.

yojimbo
07-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Yep. I'm on Bimmerforums. Same name. The ones made from 92-95 have a 240hp 3.0l engine, while the ones from 96-99 have a 240hp 3.2l engine, but it has more torque. The OBDI cars are much easier to tune if you want to go into serious modifications, but the OBDII cars are more reliable. I believe the 98 and 99 M3s had most all the common problems sorted out and are more reliable. You also get the convenience of OBDII, so the car tells you what's wrong. I love it. I've never driven one, but they're supposed to be a blast. Good luck looking, man.

thanks a lot man. i'm not looking into modifying it since i no longer care about racing or anything that involves with the car scene --
all i want is a nice looking, reliable, quick daily driver...

Hopefully i can find a nice 98 or 99 soon.
i'm currently car-less and this feeling sucks... asking for rides to work FTL

Meatball546
07-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I know how the no car situation feels. These cars are pretty reliable if you care to maintain them- which is pretty much the same with any car. You'll save some serious money if you can work on it yourself or learn to work on it. Find a friend with tools and a jack and you can do just about anything. They're pretty straightforward cars. Good luck in your search!

yojimbo
07-13-2009, 08:49 AM
yea... thanks again for the info man
anyone else have any useful information to give or should i just go check out some bimmer forums?

Barefoot
07-13-2009, 03:46 PM
or should i just go check out some bimmer forums?:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob: