PDA

View Full Version : Live axle wheel bearings?

87 Turbo II
07-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey, I am going to pull the axles off of my Rx-7 and I have new wheel bearing and collars, but the FSM says that the bearings need to be pressed off an on with a force of 2.7 tons. I have found a few people that can press them on, but apparently to remove them there is a special press accessory to take bearings off of a live axle. I can't find a shop that will let me just bring in the axles, the only shops that do bearings for live axles want me to bring in the whole car so they can charge me an arm and a leg to pull off the brakes, and axles then press off the old bearings and press on the new ones. I just want to bring in the parts I need pressed and pay like $30 or so for the work since it will be easy as can be to do. Do any of you know a shop that can do this? or work at one?

D3UC3S
07-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Call John at CV center in ATL...Tell him a white dude named Nathan in Gwinnett sent you and he should be able to do anything you need. 404-554-6431

Batlground
07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey, I am going to pull the axles off of my Rx-7 and I have new wheel bearing and collars, but the FSM says that the bearings need to be pressed off an on with a force of 2.7 tons. I have found a few people that can press them on, but apparently to remove them there is a special press accessory to take bearings off of a live axle. I can't find a shop that will let me just bring in the axles, the only shops that do bearings for live axles want me to bring in the whole car so they can charge me an arm and a leg to pull off the brakes, and axles then press off the old bearings and press on the new ones. I just want to bring in the parts I need pressed and pay like $30 or so for the work since it will be easy as can be to do. Do any of you know a shop that can do this? or work at one?

We would do it for you but I dont think our press is big enough to hold the whole axle. If you have a picture that would help.