PDA

View Full Version : SO California is broke.............

Vteckidd
07-09-2009, 10:48 AM
And they spent 1.4 MILLION on the Michael Jackson funeral.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? They dont even have the money to pay people (sending out IOUs last week) and they drop 1.4 million on some celebritys funeral.

Why wouldnt his family pay for it?

This is ridiculous! If i were in california, i would be throwing everyone out of office next election.

LOS ANGELES – Los Angeles spent $1.4 million to provide security, traffic control and other services for Michael Jackson's memorial service, city officials said as they looked for ways to have others help the financially troubled city pick up the bill.

The amount included $1.1 million in overtime pay for the 4,173 officers who worked to secure Staples Center, Forest Lawn cemetery and other areas that attracted fans and members of the media, the Police Department said in a statement.

City officials said Wednesday that the remaining amount covered traffic control, cleanup and other costs related to Tuesday's public memorial service, which was attended by a total of more than 17,000 fans and watched by tens of millions of people around the world.

Matt Szabo, a spokesman for Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, hailed the tally a success. He said it was "far less" than the initial estimate of $4 million.

Nonetheless, city attorney Carmen Trutanich said his office was investigating how the city can legally press third parties to pick up at least some of the tab.

Trutanich aims to have a report ready for the City Council by Friday, said spokesman John Franklin.

The city has also set up a Web site urging fans to make tax-deductible donations through credit cards, PayPal or check to help defray costs.

Fans have thus far donated $17,000, but contributions have been hampered by technical problems, Szabo said in a statement.

The site received so many hits that the servers crashed Tuesday night and several times Wednesday, Szabo said. The city's information technology department is working to rectify the problems.

Anticipating about 250,000 people would converge on downtown streets for the service, the Police Department deployed 3,240 officers starting at midnight. When only about 1,000 fans showed up, police brass let about 1,000 officers go early.

AEG Live, the owner-operator of Staples Center, has not committed any money to the Jackson memorial, which it organized and promoted. Company spokesman Michael Roth did not return messages on Wednesday.

City Controller Wendy Greuel called on the City Council to create a policy declaring who should pay for city services associated with such events.

In a letter to the emergency management department, Greuel criticized the nearly $49,000 expense for police officers' lunches, which were ordered from a restaurant located 80 miles from Los Angeles.

Greuel said her office called a local sandwich shop that could have provided box lunches for less than $17,500. The purchase would have had the added benefit of supporting a local business, she said.

The Jackson memorial was the second recent event that resulted in extraordinary costs at a time when the city is a half-billion dollars in debt and facing employee layoffs.

Last month's victory parade for the NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers cost an estimated $2 million.

AEG Live gave $1 million to the city for that event and other private donors stepped in.

Revmaynard
07-09-2009, 12:35 PM
OMG. I can't believe that shit. The food that was ordered 80 miles away just blew my mind. It's just sad where some peoples priorities are.

Total_Blender
07-09-2009, 12:51 PM
It seems that AEG Live should be responsible for the bill since they were the ones in charge of the memorial. They could then sue the MJ estate or the Jackson family or whoever it was that contracted them for the event.

It sucks for the state that they are stuck with the bill, but had they not provided security for the event, it could have gotten really ugly. LA has a history... you guys are probably too young to remember the riots in '92...

http://www.paranormalknowledge.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/la-riots.jpg

or the Watts riots in 1965:

http://negroartist.com/WATTS%20RIOTS/slides/A%20montage%20of%20pictures%20of%20the%20Watts%20r iots%20in%20Los%20Angeles,%20August%2011%2015,%201 965.jpg

The last thing CA would want would be a repeat of this... and with thousands of MJ fans rushing the Staples Center that situation could get ugly really fast.

btstone
07-09-2009, 12:51 PM
im literally sitting here scratching my head in disbelief

David88vert
07-09-2009, 01:20 PM
None of you realize that Los Angeles and California are two SEPERATE entities with seperate budgets? California did not spend 1.4 million. Los Angeles paid the cops out of their city budget. The state of California is broke and handing out the IOUs, not LA.

btstone
07-09-2009, 01:27 PM
None of you realize that Los Angeles and California are two SEPERATE entities with seperate budgets? California did not spend 1.4 million. Los Angeles paid the cops out of their city budget. The state of California is broke and handing out the IOUs, not LA.

Just a question, how is LA doing to well, but Cali is broke.

I know ATL is struggling but GA is also. The major cities and the states they reside in kinda go hand in hand, correct?

tony
07-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Just a question, how is LA doing to well, but Cali is broke.

I know ATL is struggling but GA is also. The major cities and the states they reside in kinda go hand in hand, correct?

Really? You don't understand how that is possible? Interesting.. especially since you're so vocal in the Politics section.

California should stand as the example of how NOT to run a state.

Vteckidd
07-09-2009, 01:57 PM
You. Missed the point.

La is broke too I think 500 million deficit.

La is in Cali the whole place is broke

Does la not collect taxes?

Total_Blender
07-09-2009, 02:08 PM
You. Missed the point.

La is broke too I think 500 million deficit.

They really did need to provide security for the event. Somebody screwed up spending $45 large for lunch, but still the amount they spent on security is a drop in the bucket compared to the damages had they not provided security. They would have spent 1.4 million on just one lawsuit had someone been injured or killed due to lack of security.

btstone
07-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Really? You don't understand how that is possible? Interesting.. especially since you're so vocal in the Politics section.

California should stand as the example of how NOT to run a state.

LOL. what a dumbass. i have made a total of 5 post in the politics section. very vocal huh?

and yes, i dont uinderstand. how cana state be broke, but its major cities thriving. that is a very legit question. cities and states depend on each other for things. kind of like a young child and parents. when you were 10 yrs old, your economic stance was what ever your parents economic stance was.

i hope that cleared up your dumb ass post

Vteckidd
07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
They really did need to provide security for the event. Somebody screwed up spending $45 large for lunch, but still the amount they spent on security is a drop in the bucket compared to the damages had they not provided security. They would have spent 1.4 million on just one lawsuit had someone been injured or killed due to lack of security.
why are they in business of providing security to a PRIVATE Funeral?

If MJs estate wanted to have a public viewing they should have been made to hire private security IMO. Or the Staples Center should have had to pay for it.

I mean i understand what you are saying, i just dont see how they can pick up the tab in times like this where the state is collapsing.

Real question:

Did NY pay for Biggies Funeral? What about 2Pacs? Farrah Fawcett?

tony
07-09-2009, 02:58 PM
LOL. what a dumbass. i have made a total of 5 post in the politics section. very vocal huh?

and yes, i dont uinderstand. how cana state be broke, but its major cities thriving. that is a very legit question. cities and states depend on each other for things. kind of like a young child and parents. when you were 10 yrs old, your economic stance was what ever your parents economic stance was.

i hope that cleared up your dumb ass post

I'm the dumbass but you don't comprehend how a state can be strapped for cash but not a city within that state. Your own analogy answers it genius, the children are independent. By your rationale if the United States is in an economic downturn then every state in the country must be struggling, when states like Alaska and Texas are able to pay their residents dividends.. or is the idea of a dividend hard for you to understand too?

Simply stated, the individual cities are sovereign to an extent. Heres a link to a dictionary so you can understand the big words in my post http://www.m-w.com

btstone
07-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm the dumbass but you don't comprehend how a state can be strapped for cash but not a city within that state. Your own analogy answers it genius, the children are independent. By your rationale if the United States is in an economic downturn then every state in the country must be struggling, when states like Alaska and Texas are able to pay their residents dividends.. or is the idea of a dividend hard for you to understand too?

Simply stated, the individual cities are sovereign to an extent. Heres a link to a dictionary so you can understand the big words in my post http://www.m-w.com

you need to read that article yourself. the country is in a downturn, so look at all the states. other than the "oil" states. the rest of them are struggling. maybe you are too smart to understand or rationale that money is dependent on other money. maybe your dumb ass need to re-read how the economy works

tony
07-09-2009, 03:07 PM
you need to read that article yourself. the country is in a downturn, so look at all the states. other than the "oil" states. the rest of them are struggling. maybe you are too smart to understand or rationale that money is dependent on other money. maybe your dumb ass need to re-read how the economy works

Yes because you obviously have a grasp on the economy.. I guess Montana, New Mexico, CO, VT, they're all oil states too huh?

Vteckidd
07-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Correct me if i am wrong......

CITIES/Counties collect SALES Tax, that is why even in GA some places are 6% some places are 7%. They can vary. That is how they get their money.

STATES collect STATE TAX in the form of witholdings from your employers paycheck. That is how they get their money.

It is perfectly possible for a STATE to be broke, and a city to be "OK".

But then you have places like FLorida who have no sales tax so.........or is it no income tax? i forget.

But my point wasnt about that. My point is that LA (According to the article) has a 500 million dollar budget DEFICIT. California is a 42 BILLION dollar deficit.

The state is collapsing. And if California goes bust, LA will follow suit its only natural you cant have LA without California. You CAN have california without LA though. If that makes sense.

Why would they pick up the tab on something like this in these kind of times? I Mean i get it, you dont want riots, looters, etc. So police has to be hired. IMO they should have told the Jacksons, look, its going to cost you 1.4 Million dollars, are you going to pay it ? if the answer was no, then he doesnt get a public funeral.

I mean if i have an event, and i need cops, I PAY FOR THAT. Ever been by a church on sunday around here? Cops directing traffic are getting paid TIME AND A HALF by the church, not the state.

Why should this be any different?

State income tax is an income tax in the United States that is levied by each individual state. Seven states choose to impose no income tax. These states are Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming. Additionally, New Hampshire and Tennessee limit their state income taxes to dividends and interest income only. One result of this however is that these states (such as Tennessee) end up with a higher regressive sales tax which offsets the revenue burden to the poorest working residents [1]. As of May of 2009, the highest rate of state income tax is that of Hawaii, with a maximum rate of 11%. Of those states which impose an income tax, the lowest maximum rate is that of Illinois, which levies a flat tax of 3%. Most states (34) have a progressive income tax, where the rate rises as an income gets larger. In California, for instance, the rate for a single person begins at 1% at $6,622 in income and rises to 9.3% over $44,814[2]. In 2005, California added a mental health tax of 1% on incomes greater than $1 million, making the marginal income tax rate in that state 10.3% at the extreme income ranges.

State income taxes are on top of the federal income tax, which currently tops out at 35%, as well as payroll taxes (contributions to Social Security and Medicare). Therefore, the maximum total rate is 35% of income in the states of Florida, Texas, and Washington, but 44.5% of income in Vermont and 45.3% in California[3], in addition to payroll taxes. However, these figures do not reflect the fact that some state and local taxes (including state income taxes) are deductible for federal tax purposes. Due to Alternative Minimum Tax, or AMT, itemization may not yield much, if any, tax savings on the federal return. For those not affected by AMT, the federal government effectively subsidizes a portion of an individual's state income tax, but only for individuals whose total deductions are greater than the standard deduction, which means the subsidy falls almost entirely to middle class payers.

In addition, some states allow cities and/or counties to impose income taxes above and beyond the federal and state income taxes. An example is New York City, where there is both a state income tax of up to 8.14%[4] and a city income tax, up to 4.00%[5]. The maximum rate in the city limits of New York City (as of 2007[update]) is therefore 47.14% (approximately one-half of marginal income), or 1.35 times the 35.0% rate (approximately one-third of marginal income) inside "federal income tax only" cities such as Seattle, Houston, Dallas, and Miami.

tony
07-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I actually agree with you Mike, he's at the MJ is at the top of the billboard charts right now and his estate should be footing the bill. That said, how much revenue if any did the city make from his memorial? Nobody talks about that..

Vteckidd
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
I actually agree with you Mike, he's at the MJ is at the top of the billboard charts right now and his estate should be footing the bill. That said, how much revenue if any did the city make from his memorial? Nobody talks about that..
thats true, I think right now they are saying they didnt make anything because

A) the tickets were free
B) Im sure the food and beverages sold at the Staples center has nothing to do with LA city making anything

I bet the small businesses around there saw a boom in business which absolutely relates to generating city income (sales tax). But 1.4 million dollars worth?

I guess if the city ends up making a buck its all a moot point, but i dont see that happening

Total_Blender
07-09-2009, 04:02 PM
If the city denied MJ's public funeral, there would have been some sort of public gathering anyway, whether MJ's people organized it or not. MJ really has a cult following like no other entertainer before or since, and LA was the epicenter of his fan base. The fact was that MJ was going to draw a crowd, whether it was a well-organzied, orderly event or a loosely organized, anarchic mob... people were going to show up.

Vteckidd
07-09-2009, 04:05 PM
If the city denied MJ's public funeral, there would have been some sort of public gathering anyway, whether MJ's people organized it or not. MJ really has a cult following like no other entertainer before or since, and LA was the epicenter of his fan base. The fact was that MJ was going to draw a crowd, whether it was a well-organzied, orderly event or a loosely organized, anarchic mob... people were going to show up.
Ok so then you have your regularly scheduled police (not collecting overtime) disperse the crowd, or tell them to form in a park somewhere. That would not have cost 1/100th of what this did.

There was other ways to do this

tony
07-09-2009, 04:06 PM
I bet the small businesses around there saw a boom in business which absolutely relates to generating city income (sales tax). But 1.4 million dollars worth?

Not from 15k-20k people I doubt the city would leave with a net profit.

Vteckidd
07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Not from 15k-20k people I doubt the city would leave with a net profit.
If the average person spent $20, and LA sales tax is 7%, thats $1.40 in sales tax collected.

$1.40 x 20000=$28000 in revenue *EEK*

Everyone would have had to spend $1000 for them to BREAK EVEN

$1000x1.07=$1070

$70x20000=$1,400,000

David88vert
07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
My point was you stated Cali in the original title, but the article clearly said LA was footing the tab. They are 2 different entities.
Different states have different ways of collecting tax revenue, and at different rates. It is always a blend from multiple sources, and may or may not be similar to county collections.