PDA

View Full Version : laptop wfi troubles..

JITB
07-08-2009, 05:31 PM
So we upgraded to wireless at home yesterday. And everything works fine.. except the laptop.

It says its connected to the router etc.. says it has a excellent connection...But, i cant bring up any sites. It has been connected thru a wire before and ran fine. but no sites are coming up? its a dell d630

cjhutch
07-08-2009, 10:24 PM
TCP/IP settings. Right click on the network and then go to properties. You will see a tab for TCP/IP settings. Make sure under there the options to obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server automatically are checked. If they are not you will probably see an IP and DNS that's all zeros.

The Ninja
07-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Is the router broadcasting in the same wireless frequency as the laptop? b/g/n?

JITB
07-09-2009, 07:23 AM

not sure the one in the laptop already came already in it, how do i find out which one?

cjhutch
07-09-2009, 08:21 PM

I don't think that's the problem. All modern laptops with wireless cards have b/g compatibility and routers are also backwards compatible if it's an n capable router. Also he says he has connection to the router, but just can't get on the internet. When I was a network admin the kind of problem he described almost always was the TCP/IP settings.

JITB
07-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I don't think that's the problem. All modern laptops with wireless cards have b/g compatibility and routers are also backwards compatible if it's an n capable router. Also he says he has connection to the router, but just can't get on the internet. When I was a network admin the kind of problem he described almost always was the TCP/IP settings.

i cant get to the ip settings, the laptop is from school.. will i need admin prviledges to do so?

cjhutch
07-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Hmmm, I don't think so. I don't have a PC right now to test it. If you can't get to those settings it will tell you that you don't have sufficient privileges. Just to make sure you are going to the right place.

Go to your control panel and then click on network connections. Find the wireless connection in the list. Right click on that connection and then click properties. From there another box will pop up and look for the option that says TCP/IP Connection. Click on that and then click on the button labeled properties. You will see the next window and from there the Ip and DNS settings boxes will be towards the bottom. Click on the box that says obtain automatically for both.

JITB
07-09-2009, 10:44 PM
it says they both are automatic..

Jblizzard
07-10-2009, 01:42 AM
go to start - run - cmd - then type in ipconfig /all and paste what it says for us

JITB
07-10-2009, 01:47 AM
i dotn have the cmd option, when i click RUN, it goes straight to search function

Nemesis
07-10-2009, 08:30 AM
needs moar linux

92mr2T
07-10-2009, 10:01 AM
i cant get to the ip settings, the laptop is from school.. will i need admin prviledges to do so?

Try right clicking on the network connections icon and see if you can do a repair on that connection. Sounds like you may need admin privileges if you can't change any ip settings.

2turbo4u
07-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I have a similar problem, it was working and now she don't work. It say's I'm connected but can't access the internet. When I tried fixing it it tell me I need the network admin. to fix it? I am the admin. what should I do?

JITB
07-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Try right clicking on the network connections icon and see if you can do a repair on that connection. Sounds like you may need admin privileges if you can't change any ip settings.

wont let e repair..b/c it says nothing is wrong..

600 Double R
07-11-2009, 12:02 AM
go to your hardware config and uninstall the wireless adapters drivers and reinstall them.

The Youngn
07-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Same problem here with my brother's laptop.

The Youngn
07-11-2009, 06:53 PM
go to start - run - cmd - then type in ipconfig /all and paste what it says for us
Under "Windows IP Configuration" the part that says "IP Routing Enabled..." says No...should that say yes?

Disregard that....I ran the ipconfig on my desktop for comparison and it says no as well. The default gateways and stuff do show up blanks though and i get considerably less information on the laptop than i do the desktop

nx2000det
07-13-2009, 11:34 PM
have you found the IP settings yet?

The Youngn
07-14-2009, 12:15 AM
PM to JITB. It's what did it for me