PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods So no one has Nitrous...Just turbos? WTF?!!!

H1Cblacknight
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
After being on here a few months and looking arounbd. I see everyone must be rich to maintain all these Turbo motors. WTF. I need your jobs. Does anyone even run nitrous? Before I came here I only knew people with NO2 not turbos. Why send all this money on a turbo build when you can build a nitrious motor and keep it a DD.(no lag.....just straight power)I know the saying is that nitrous is the poor man's forced induction. And even though a wet shot can F^&* some shit up like melting a piston with or without a timer, you can go with a dry shot which is not as safe as a wet.....but you can use it unlimited times through out all your power bands..(if you know how to drive) Nitrous= $550 full kit(dry) vs. Turbo build(motor+kit)= $3000 and up. (not ebay)

FasTech
07-07-2009, 03:49 PM
You haven't heard?!?!?! Turbo's are for guys with big dicks and big wallets.

Barefoot
07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
add into your price refilling the tank at $50(last time a filled 1 back back in the day). turbo ends up being a cheaper long run route.

H1Cblacknight
07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
LMAO. Havent heard that one before.

FasTech
07-07-2009, 03:54 PM
add into your price refilling the tank at $50(last time a filled 1 back back in the day). turbo ends up being a cheaper long run route.

Man's got a point. I myself have always liked N/A motors > boosted motors. Just seem more practical for what kinds of stuff I like. I'm more of a autocross/road course person rather than a straight line drag guy. If I build a track/DD car it will most deff be a N/A build. But I have had an itch for awhile to build a boosted D-series.

H1Cblacknight
07-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Well I personally have alot in my car. but nothing in the motor except rebuild type shit. I figure just buying a b20 @ 600 a pop. Spray them till a piston goes through the block. but for now I'm aiming for just DD and auto-x. I had ordered a lil 75 shot dry kit. SO I can have my highway fun!

FasTech
07-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Well I personally have alot in my car. but nothing in the motor except rebuild type shit. I figure just buying a b20 @ 600 a pop. Spray them till a piston goes through the block. but for now I'm aiming for just DD and auto-x. I had ordered a lil 75 shot dry kit. SO I can have my highway fun!

Yeah I understand what you mean. And if I didn't have money for boost and wanted alittle extra edge for the streets every once in awhile... I'd buy a kit too. B20 + vtec head + alittle spray = fun street machine.

scttydb411
07-07-2009, 05:44 PM
i like always having power when i need it without having to reach back and open a bottle. plus factoring in the long term costs of refils it is cheaper like was stated earlier. plus, if you're popping a $600 motor in every few months think of the time and $ you're dropping over time.

H1Cblacknight
07-07-2009, 07:32 PM
i see where your coming from now. but who reaches back to open the bottle? Shit... crank the car in the morning flip the warmer on....purge the system. And there you have it all the time!!! LOL Sorry if i'm being a smartass. Just how I see it. Well a swap only takes a couple hours. I love working on my car. Still trying to finish this bitch! Think I could build one blind folded( not really) but close to it! So simple, but yet complicated! Buy the way!!! I F%$$%^^& HATE PLASTA-GAUGE!!!!!

SPOOLIN
07-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Im not going to hate, to each his own, but i have not done much maintenance on my turbo engine that is 2 years old and it gets a lot of hell. My engines been the last thing to give me problems in the past 2 years. I don't DD it, but every minute my engine runs is generally during a pull or a pass. Nitrous is to inconsistent, and i would not prefer to "run out of bottle" half track. I don't prefer nitrous back fires or things of the such. The fastest and quickest 1000-1300hp 4 cyl sport compact race cars running 7.x to 8.8 sec 1/4 times do not use nitrous, and it were really going to help these guys they WOULD run it.

As they say, You gotta pay to Play!

Z0_o6
07-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I've seen people just have too many headaches out of nitrous, plus you have to factor in the inconsistency, and unpredictability of it, I'd rather use a turbo or supercharger that is always there, and always the same.

BTEC
07-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I had nitrous on my car once and the nitrous solenoid got stuck so only the fuel solenoid would open. Had that been the other way around, BOOM. I dnt like the harshness of nitrous, i dont like the fact that the fun runs out and if ur at the track ur SOL. I like a little lag bc it makes the other person think they have won. Lol!!

Id prolly use nitrous again but turbo anyday b4 nitrous.

SPOOLIN
07-07-2009, 10:39 PM
lol, you like LAG so you can play with them a little..

AllTheDude
07-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I have nitrous on my DD...Haven't used it in months but guess what I get 30 mpg...Had a turbo fun toy too. I gotta say i love the boost but a well placed purge cloud will put a smile on your face similar to a SSQV salute at 15 psi.

BTEC
07-07-2009, 11:12 PM
lol, you like LAG so you can play with them a little..
yeah, and racing somebody with nitrous is fun bc if u do it right they will refuse to let go of the button bc they swear they are going to win. Lol!!

NevrNufTorq
07-07-2009, 11:36 PM
get a really nice b18c build lets say and it makes 500whp like a friend of mine and driven all the time on a really good tune. it's gonna live a long, long time. you show me the same or any honda motor(apples to apples) built motor and all that has a 300 wetshot of nitrous and tell me how long it's gonna live.

that's why turbo wins hands down, especially when you get to spoolins power. no way to build his motor to hanle a 800 shot of nitrous :2cents:

now my poopra, i run nitrous and have turbo!!!! :cheers:

and i have absolutely no objection to the way you're running your car, a small shot is always fun :yes:

H1Cblacknight
07-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Well thanx everyone for the input. I see some of your points. But wet shot. Hell no! Dry gives you that ability to let off. I like a full throttle switch so you can engage or disengage rather than a wet shot $%^&* you in the ass like the above post " solenoid getting stuck (boom!) Well...at this point I'm gonna considerer a boost build in the near future. MAybe a x-mas present to myself. Thinking B20 (torque!) with boost???

XanRules
07-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Babies get bottles, real men get blown.

NevrNufTorq
07-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Well thanx everyone for the input. I see some of your points. But wet shot. Hell no! Dry gives you that ability to let off. I like a full throttle switch so you can engage or disengage rather than a wet shot $%^&* you in the ass like the above post " solenoid getting stuck (boom!) Well...at this point I'm gonna considerer a boost build in the near future. MAybe a x-mas present to myself. Thinking B20 (torque!) with boost???
wet shot works the exact same way just so you know :2cents: if the solenoid hangs open it doesn it, has nothing to do with the switch or a tps sensor. it has a malfunction in the solenoid and it doesnt close when you let off

i can come in or out of nitrous every time i floor it or let off the nitrous turns off just like a dry, no difference whatsoever other than a dry shot is not safe over a 75 maybe a 100 unless you add fuel in your tune and that would still be considered a wet shot since you tuned for it you just wouldnt have a solenoid adding fuel

Z0_o6
07-08-2009, 12:50 AM
i will admit i'm considering a small amount of spray on my K20, I've heard that they really do well on nitrous. huge gains out of relatively small shots.

David88vert
07-08-2009, 07:26 AM
I run nitrous and a SC. Have run N2O on a lot of cars over the years, with no major issues.

SPOOLIN
07-08-2009, 07:41 AM
that's why turbo wins hands down, especially when you get to spoolins power. no way to build his motor to handle a 800 shot of nitrous :2cents:

good point, 800 shot would blow the welds on the intake.

Not to mention pistons through the block.

Evil Goat
07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
i used nitrous on a single cam back in the day for shits and giggles, 55 dry shot on a stock motor and never had a problem, granted thats a tiny shot, but still

i spray with a 150 wet plate system on the gto now, only because i don't plan on having this ls1 forever, im satisfying my speed need without breaking the bank or doing a setup that will be worthless for future plans, which is the same reason i havent bought an intake or headers, b/c they don't fit into future plans, and it still allows me to save for my future wants.....cheap power? yes, but ive still managed to pull an 11.31@123, and now with real tires im hoping to pull a couple 10.9X's, on cam/nitrous only, stock suspension, stock intake, stock headers, stock fuel pump and injectors on my stock 6spd

i will admit though, in the long run its easier to do a turbo setup vs. nitrous due to filling costs, $42.50 + tax usually, and a 10lb bottle will normally last me about 4 passes at the track before losing pressure, which works fine for me, i usually hit the track every other week, make 1 motor pass and 3 nitrous passes