PDA

View Full Version : AWD to RWD Conversion

KodyH
07-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey guys. I drive a 1997 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8L. It is, as the name suggests, and AWD car. I can't afford to buy another car that is RWD and I'm fond of my Audi. Seeing as how I am starting in D1 Underground soon I would like to have a RWD car. I have heard that it can be converted. I would like either a step-by-step guide of how to do so or a link that would show me how. Thanks.

whatever210
07-04-2009, 10:51 PM
dont drift. its a endless money pit

Jecht
07-04-2009, 10:54 PM
It will most likely break. I wouldn't recommend doing it. Buy a cheap RWD car and just beat the crap out of it instead.

Psw Jdm
07-04-2009, 11:09 PM
It will most likely break. I wouldn't recommend doing it. Buy a cheap RWD car and just beat the crap out of it instead.

x2

KodyH
07-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Ok so I take it you don't know how?
I'm looking for someone serious about this. And money isn't an issue.

nreggie454
07-05-2009, 02:30 PM
If money isn't an issue, then buy a cheap RWD car and beat the hell out of it. It would be cheaper and more reliable than a conversion.

X-Runner
07-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Can't afford to buy another car but money isn't an issue. How does that work? :thinking:

AlliRae
07-05-2009, 02:43 PM

ahhh.... so reminds me of my first thread... how can i turn my integra to rwd so i can start to drift... so lucky i didn't get terribly neg repped for that.

Aight so lemme tell you what everyone told me... because surprisingly they were nice and right - and I might add my 2cents in here as well.

So you love your car. Your car setup is great the way it is and you love it for that. Just like anything you change with some greatness - it will more than likely break... a lot... or mildly - A lot more than it does now. I don't care what anyone says - even done right - by "professionals" it will not be as reliable as what it is now.

If you are just starting to drift, how do you know you will fall madly and financially in love with it? If you spend all the money to make your car how you want it and then don't like it then you're stuck with a car - that isn't what you liked in the first place. Not to mention - it will never be fast enough or have exactly the right parts.

My suggestion... Spend under $2000 (and could be easily under 1000) (a fraction of the cost to convert yours). Get some basic rwd car ie. 240, 911, bmw (i have one... interested?). It doesn't matter if it looks bad/trashy/shit interior/etc. Find out if it's really what you want to do and then if it is, go ahead and convert your car over to rwd.

and no i don't know how to or where to do a step by step conversion... hope this helps just as much though

Motivation
07-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Just pull the front axles out and cap the holes off on the transmission... :ninja:

green91
07-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Im not familiar with the quattro system on your car, but i know on alot of subarus its possible for the center diff in the transmission to be welded, then taking out the front axles effectively nets you a RWD car. Make sure you leave axle stubs in your front hubs though so your wheel bearings don't come apart.

Jecht
07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
ahhh.... so reminds me of my first thread... how can i turn my integra to rwd so i can start to drift... so lucky i didn't get terribly neg repped for that.

Aight so lemme tell you what everyone told me... because surprisingly they were nice and right - and I might add my 2cents in here as well.

So you love your car. Your car setup is great the way it is and you love it for that. Just like anything you change with some greatness - it will more than likely break... a lot... or mildly - A lot more than it does now. I don't care what anyone says - even done right - by "professionals" it will not be as reliable as what it is now.

If you are just starting to drift, how do you know you will fall madly and financially in love with it? If you spend all the money to make your car how you want it and then don't like it then you're stuck with a car - that isn't what you liked in the first place. Not to mention - it will never be fast enough or have exactly the right parts.

My suggestion... Spend under $2000 (and could be easily under 1000) (a fraction of the cost to convert yours). Get some basic rwd car ie. 240, 911, bmw (i have one... interested?). It doesn't matter if it looks bad/trashy/shit interior/etc. Find out if it's really what you want to do and then if it is, go ahead and convert your car over to rwd.

and no i don't know how to or where to do a step by step conversion... hope this helps just as much though

I said the same thing in fewer words. :tongue1:

zombieslider
07-06-2009, 01:14 AM
i hope money isnt an option if your wanting to start drifting and its gonna be an audi

_Christian_
07-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Stop being so damn lazy...I found everything you need to know in <5 minutes of searching/reading.

Only because I'm in a good mood:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=convert+quattro+rwd

Drummerboy
07-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Stop being so damn lazy...I found everything you need to know in <5 minutes of searching/reading.

haha never seen that. good stuff.

volvo_c30
07-06-2009, 07:02 PM
one of my buddies tried to convert his audi..ended up f'in up the AWD system so that he could throw in a RWD system that eventually broke than he was left with two broken systems....buy a beat up car to drift

WTF?
07-06-2009, 07:22 PM
buy a cheap ass rwd car

/thread

cm7k24
07-07-2009, 10:35 PM

hahaha funny stuff

zombieslider
07-08-2009, 11:57 AM
op you dont have to buy a pos to drift although its highly recomended cuz something is going to break or your gonna hit something. Buy what you want to drift jut as long as its rwd or evo/sti cuz as far as i know those are the only sucsesful converted awd cars. To my knowledge im sure theres more though

RL...
07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Hey guys. I drive a 1997 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8L. It is, as the name suggests, and AWD car. I can't afford to buy another car that is RWD and I'm fond of my Audi. Seeing as how I am starting in D1 Underground soon I would like to have a RWD car. I have heard that it can be converted. I would like either a step-by-step guide of how to do so or a link that would show me how. Thanks.

:thinking::screwy:

RL...
07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
buy a cheap ass rwd car

/thread

yup