PDA

View Full Version : internet connected but "not connected"..?

ItsBlack
07-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Vista Laptop, WRT54G Router, Avast anti-virus

So every once in a while during browsing, it will appear out of the clear blue I have no internet connection what so ever. For example, if im browsing through the forums I can jump from thread to thread until BAM I have a 'no internet connection screen' on my browser. Picture flipping through a book and comming to a completely blank page, then try to flip backwards through the pages only to find those are now blank also lol. I'm using Firefox 3 but also got this problem using IE7 for a day to see if Firefox was the problem. My wireless connection shows connected, and I can dis-and re-connect to my router but it still won't get my net back online (and it shows my access to Local & Internet). The only way to get back online is to fully reboot my computer.

This has been going on for a few months and is slowing starting to get worse (a couple times a day, versus every other day). It has happened anytime during the day, and doesn't happen on the same website, etc. It is completely at random! I don't believe its my router or internet service because my G1 phone is connected to my router the entire time I'm home and have never been 'disconnected' from the net as well as my plugged in desktop computer (with XP).

help please? :cry:

ItsBlack
07-05-2009, 06:56 PM
bizzump?

green91
07-05-2009, 09:45 PM
DSL or cable? Occasionally my DSL modem will lose sync and do this, the DSL light will flash at a constant rate while its trying to re-sync.

kpc2593
07-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Seems like you got too many negative entries in your DNS cache....try clearing it...

Got to start and click on run. Type in the following: cmd

Once its open...type the following: ipconfig /flushdns

Then try browsing again and see if it disconnects or not.

ItsBlack
07-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Seems like you got too many negative entries in your DNS cache....try clearing it...

Got to start and click on run. Type in the following: cmd

Once its open...type the following: ipconfig /flushdns

Then try browsing again and see if it disconnects or not.

I just tried that and it says:

The requested operation requires elevation.

..not sure what that means haha

kpc2593
07-07-2009, 02:06 AM
I just tried that and it says:

The requested operation requires elevation.

..not sure what that means haha

Ohhh...that's right...you in Vista....damn security settings...Ight what you will have to do is run command prompt as an administrator...simply right click it and select "run as administrator" then try again.

http://www.home-network-help.com/images/run-as-administrator.jpg

ItsBlack
07-07-2009, 04:03 AM
lol yeah i googled it aftewards. I did that after and it cleared it out but I still had the problem shortly after =/

4dmin
07-07-2009, 09:44 AM
you have vista, not sure. but usually what happens also is that you have connected to many different wireless networks and they are all cached in there. The one you are trying to connect to is at the bottom of your list. Find the advanced network settings and delete all the wireless networks you hvase ever connected to except the 1-2 that you connect to regularly and see if that fixes your problem.

ItsBlack
07-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Well I did that, deleted 2 others I had saved and just kept my home one, but it still does it =/

kpc2593
07-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Turn off your modem, router and turn off your wifi......then one by one, turn everything back on starting with the modem...wait 2-3 minutes then turn on your router...wait another 2-3 minutes then turn your wifi back on and try to connect

cjhutch
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Did you check to make sure "obtain an IP address automatically" and the same for DNS server is checked under the TCP/IP settings. This is going to determine whether you can get on the internet or not. I can't remember the exact lingo, but it's something like that. I've yet to use Vista, I'm a Mac guy.