PDA

View Full Version : OIL LEAK- (PLEASE HELP)

jdm_eg8
07-02-2009, 07:57 PM
So I have a 94 civic ex coupe, had a newer motor put in & the mechanic who put it obviously didnt replace the seals or gaskets. Since I have had the car & been driving it I can smell oil burning sometimes, so I would stop the car a few times & look under it & oil is dripping down on the headers. It looks like its either a rear main seal or oil pan gasket. Im going to get some brake cleaner & clean the hell out of it tomorrow & try to trace the leak. So heres the thing, im trying not to replace the rear main seal because its about $600 for a shop to do it. If its the oil pan gasket im doing it myself, easy fix, drop exhaust, drain oil, remove oil pan bolts, drop oil pan & remove the old gasket & replace with new gasket. Thats easy but what id like to know if theres a sealer I can put where rear main seal is leaking if thats the problem, seeing how im pulling motor out & doing a b18 swap in december. I need advice on what I should do and if I can use a sealer to seal up the leak & how long will it last.... PLEASE HELP!!!!:thinking:

SiRed94
07-02-2009, 09:51 PM
So I have a 94 civic ex coupe, had a newer motor put in & the mechanic who put it obviously didnt replace the seals or gaskets. Since I have had the car & been driving it I can smell oil burning sometimes, so I would stop the car a few times & look under it & oil is dripping down on the headers. It looks like its either a rear main seal or oil pan gasket. Im going to get some brake cleaner & clean the hell out of it tomorrow & try to trace the leak. So heres the thing, im trying not to replace the rear main seal because its about $600 for a shop to do it. If its the oil pan gasket im doing it myself, easy fix, drop exhaust, drain oil, remove oil pan bolts, drop oil pan & remove the old gasket & replace with new gasket. Thats easy but what id like to know if theres a sealer I can put where rear main seal is leaking if thats the problem, seeing how im pulling motor out & doing a b18 swap in december. I need advice on what I should do and if I can use a sealer to seal up the leak & how long will it last.... PLEASE HELP!!!!:thinking:

There is no way to put a sealer around the rear main seal without taking the transmission out and taking off the clutch and flywheel assembly. And if you did that, you would probably just change the rear main seal. Bar's Leak makes a product called Rear Main Seal fix that is suppose to make the rear main seal flexible again and swell a bit to seal the leak, but I have never tried it or know anyone who has, so I can't vouch for it.

Barefoot
07-02-2009, 10:13 PM
never put that sealer crap in your motor period under no circumstances.

jdm_eg8
07-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Didnt put sealer crap in the motor. Thats common sense not to! I put it around the area thats leaking and so far so good. Letting it sit over night to make a solid bond. But its working so far!

EmminoDaGreat
07-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Also it shouldn't be $600 for a rear main seal. PM ME if you need someone to replace it. We have great pricing.

jdm_eg8
07-09-2009, 06:03 PM
PM SENT

Batlground
07-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Replacing it is the best thing to do. If you can hold off until you do the swap then great. Just dont run the car too low on oil.

jdm_eg8
07-10-2009, 07:12 PM
im hoping to get the swap in sooner, but im going to rebuild and clean it up....id like to get the rear main seal fixed though....i did fix it from dropping on my exhaust and burning, and yeah if its ran to low on oil, it would be nasty....

EmminoDaGreat
07-10-2009, 07:15 PM
im hoping to get the swap in sooner, but im going to rebuild and clean it up....id like to get the rear main seal fixed though....i did fix it from dropping on my exhaust and burning, and yeah if its ran to low on oil, it would be nasty....

Good luck, and let us know if you need any help with your swap/fixing the seal.

Batlground
07-11-2009, 10:10 AM

It sucks that you have to drop the tranny and clutch to fix it. Its a chunk of money to put in a $10 seal.

blumagic04
07-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I know where you can get it done for cheaper

jdm_eg8
07-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Where at????????
I like cheaper!!!!!!

Meatball546
07-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I think it is your rear main trunk seal. Look, it's all dripping down the rear bumper!

hondalover00
07-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I think it is your rear main trunk seal. Look, it's all dripping down the rear bumper!

lol:D :D :lmfao: :lmfao: :goodjob: :goodjob:

jdm_eg8
07-16-2009, 04:47 PM
hahaha, no its your old paint dripping down my rear bumper, seeing how i sucked your car up through my intake and spit it out the exhaust......

D3UC3S
07-16-2009, 10:25 PM
i think you definately could fit his car through your giant opening in the front bumper....and then in the winter you could get paid to shovel snow.

jdm_eg8
07-20-2009, 05:55 PM
awesome....to bad my front bumper is coming off....im going to get my ex bumper and mugen lip this week....

preferredduck
07-21-2009, 10:20 PM
honestly if your dripping on your header i would not think the rear main seal is bad/leaking. make sure the oil pan drain plug is not stripped or cross threaded because this is a common honda problem. clean it good and let it leak and crawl under there and look. i know when i change my oil i drip on the header and it burns. i can say on my girls car i have seen an oil filter leak which would cause that to drop on the header. The oil pan gasket is not that hard to do, just make sure you follow the torque specs putting the bolts on, if not you will squeeze the gasket and trust me it will leak right onto the header. (had this happen when a shop changed my gasket, go figure i fixed a shps mistake!!!) also the rear main seal will leave a puddle more on the passenger side of the car if you park it level overnight. they do make products to stop leaks but i do not recomend it either. just make sure you check the oil often and add oil accordingly. it may cost a little money for the oil but you don't wanna blow the engine. BTW $600 is a rip off. i paid around $380 for my rear main to be replaced and that included the seal from honda(which i also recomend) clutch replacement and flywheel resurfacing.

i would save the money and have your swap done right. all seals, pumps, and belts done before you drop it in.

jdm>usdm
07-21-2009, 10:49 PM
i think you definately could fit his car through your giant opening in the front bumper....and then in the winter you could get paid to shovel snow.

:lmao: