PDA

View Full Version : clunk when turning right only

HKSevo
07-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Having some trouble diagnosing this problem on my cousin's car.

Car: IS300
Suspesion Mod: Eibach Pro kit w/ Koni Yellows Shocks (~30k on them), Eibach Sway Bars, and TRD Braces. The noise started recently well after all the mods were done.

Problem: Clunking noise when turning right only
- There is 1 clunk at initial turn in, and 1 clunk when bringing the steering wheel back center.
- Clunk is intermittent and how hard you turn doesn't seem to matter.
- Does not clunk when turning left or going straight at all.
- No clunk when the car is on top of the jackstands or sitting still(the reason why I can't pinpoint what's wrong).

Things I checked so far:
- Tie rod ends (3-9o'clock shake/boot is not ripped/bushing has no play).
- Wheel bearing (12-6o'clock shake/no gease leaking from the back cover).
- All torque specs on all suspension nuts/bolts (every single one, this took forever).
- Checked sway bar end links (no rips or holes/no noise when turning on top of jackstands).
- Shocks (did the bounce test/no visual leaking of any fluid/checked temperature of shock after driving).
- Springs (He mentioned tein uses sleeves to stop spring contacts which can make noise. So, I tired to wrap the springs in some rubber hose and nothing).

Conclusion:
I can't figure it out since I can't replicate the clunk when the car is on top of the jackstands. I'm assuming the car load + the weight transfer from turning has something to do with it, but I'm out of ideas. Plus he can't just blindly waste money on parts that are not broken at the moment...

Thanks for all the help.