PDA

View Full Version : 16 ft. I-Beam

speedminded
10-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Err yeah, this is a longgg shot: Steel I-beam needed asap...16'-0" long and about 10" high. Gotta get rid of the column in the shop!

tluve69
10-05-2005, 08:32 AM
IF IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE STEEL, THEN LET ME KNOW AND I CAN SIZE UP THE RIGHT PIECE OF LUMBER FOR THIS IS MY JOB EVERDAY, AND 16' ISNT THAT LONG OF A SPAN DEPENDING ON WHAT ITS HOLDING UP.

A.P. Photography
10-05-2005, 08:34 AM
It either has to be steel or an LVL beam to be able to support it. If you can get a hold of an LVL beam then he could use that.

speedminded
10-05-2005, 08:39 AM
IF IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE STEEL, THEN LET ME KNOW AND I CAN SIZE UP THE RIGHT PIECE OF LUMBER FOR THIS IS MY JOB EVERDAY, AND 16' ISNT THAT LONG OF A SPAN DEPENDING ON WHAT ITS HOLDING UP.I am tempted to scab the existing wood beam...but i have a little wheel dolly/hoist that rolls on an i-beam that could be useful. Would you laminate one or do you have solid wood beams? Thanks.

tluve69
10-05-2005, 09:29 AM
I dont have any but could point you in the right directions, all I could do is size one that will support what you need it to ie. any ceiling joist or roof rafters or postings, as well as some load you will add when using the hoist so it will not snap like a twig LOL. I am a structural engineer(P.E.) if you have a digital camera take a pic and let me see what your working with and I may have a few ideas. I just dont want your shop to fall in thats all

speedminded
10-05-2005, 09:54 AM
I dont have any but could point you in the right directions, all I could do is size one that will support what you need it to ie. any ceiling joist or roof rafters or postings, as well as some load you will add when using the hoist so it will not snap like a twig LOL. I am a structural engineer(P.E.) if you have a digital camera take a pic and let me see what your working with and I may have a few ideas. I just dont want your shop to fall in thats allYou can see the beam in this thread... http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=24219

Can't really see the center column in the first pic but you can in the reflection of the window in the second...about 3 feet in front of the car. Looking from the front: It currently has a 4" column behind the coke machine, another one about 8 feet towards the right, and the other end is supported at a corner in the building. My idea is to cut off the center column at the concrete and place it 8 feet towards the right on a small steel plate to leave me with a 16 foot span and no obstructions. (I may have to shorten both colums a couple inches to get the appropriate sized beam to fit on top)

This pic shows the end of the beam at the inside corner of the building (top left), that's where i want to put the existing center column...

EmminoDaGreat
10-13-2005, 08:49 PM
call up ryerson-tull metals ....i used to order from them all the time, they can get anything... they cut to length etc... but they charge by the foot so you know just an idea...

tack311
10-13-2005, 09:10 PM
give me a call tomorrow i do have some steel i beams.i work for an individual who recently tore down an old rug mill.he is currently looking for someone to buy the beams.
scott
678-372-3315

Schugg
10-13-2005, 11:34 PM
find a factory or something that would have those thats being tore down and see if u can get one of the workers or the company to sell you one, they are usually used for the walls or ceiling.