PDA

View Full Version : Sr20 overheating??? HELP!!!

rbsilvia
07-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Ok....im about to go crazy! My sr is over heating and i can't figure out why! It had to stock radiator, so i bought a new aluminum radiator with 2 12'fans! And i got a new cooling temp sensor and i replaced the theromstat! Ive read on other forums that the gauges in s14 suck...So i bought a new water temp gauge but havent installed it yet. The hoses are hot ( top & bottom) but its not boiling over or anything and the car runs fine...Im at a loss for ideas! can anyone help!!!??:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

VickNotic
07-01-2009, 01:45 PM
runn the car w/o thermostat and see how it goes. how do u know that it overheats the temp gauge rises? over normal ?

Corolla_TC
07-01-2009, 01:47 PM
cracked head? not as awesome but in my fiance's sunfire, we replaced the radiator, the thermostat, the waterpump and it was still over heating. i checked the coolant and the oil, neither were mixing but it was a cracked head

rbsilvia
07-01-2009, 01:54 PM
ahh! i hope its not a cracked head...i have another one but thats alot of work, Ne way the stock temp gauge goes up to half within a few seconds after i crank it in the morning...then it goes up the the H=hot line...then when im driving it goes up and down etc... but if i seat still at a drive thru or in traffic it goes over the HOt line...I have both electric fans running all the time??? and i did have the theromstat out and i did the same thing....

VickNotic
07-01-2009, 01:58 PM
well it sounds like my story while back with my car, i've replaced everything about the coolant system and was a waste of money. leak down tested everything that I can think of and .. later on it wasn't a overheating issue, block spun a bearing and finally had a reason to take off the head and it was a small specc in on the headgasket, so yeah sounds like it to me .. somewhere in the combustion camber it's leaking somewhere inside there..

rbsilvia
07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
damn...well im getting married and im broke!lol do u think its ok to drive until i get the money to fix it?

NevrNufTorq
07-01-2009, 02:27 PM
damn...well im getting married and im broke!lol do u think its ok to drive until i get the money to fix it?
not if you want the car to live it's not ok to drive imho :2cents:

no way i would if it were mine, no reason to kill a whole enigine for nothing

rbsilvia
07-01-2009, 02:34 PM
shit! well its not boiling out of the radiator? maybe its just the gauge. Ill change it tonight. thanks.

SixSquared
07-01-2009, 08:00 PM
check the water pump? Sucks to find one for an SR, which is reason 3893823 I won't get one, but it sounds a lot like water pump. My KA was doing a similiar thing when my water pump was taking/had taken a crap (getting up to hot at stoplights, when stopped, etc, then cooling off as I drove). I ended up blowing a heater hose at the rear of the engine as well.

But my first instinct says water pump.

http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-OEM-S14-SR20DET-Water-Pump-Assembly_p_2218.html

Pretty good price on one.

Cool Cat Racing
07-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Put a real coolant gauge on it and see what temp its running. The SR water pumps aren't hard at all to get so if its that you're fine. I'd hook up the gauge you already have and see if its really even running hot.

yellow ek
07-01-2009, 11:47 PM
I ran into something like this when I did a red top in an S14. Within in a short time of cranking it, it would already be showing on the gauge. Then after a few minutes, before it was actually real warm, the gauge would start to rise over half way until it was pegged in the red. The fix was the temp switch off of the KA. Don't know if its your problem, but its worth a shot.

whatever210
07-02-2009, 09:22 AM
check the water pump? Sucks to find one for an SR, which is reason 3893823 I won't get one, but it sounds a lot like water pump. My KA was doing a similiar thing when my water pump was taking/had taken a crap (getting up to hot at stoplights, when stopped, etc, then cooling off as I drove). I ended up blowing a heater hose at the rear of the engine as well.

But my first instinct says water pump.

http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-OEM-S14-SR20DET-Water-Pump-Assembly_p_2218.html

Pretty good price on one.

your afraid to get a sr cause of this? if you dont want an sr cause you actually might have to work on the car then you dont deserve a sr....oh god i hate to see you drift and break something then. i drift/daily my sr with cams and 2871r and have not one single problem. but when i do have a problem then its quickly fixed.

rbsilvia
07-02-2009, 11:25 AM
thanks guys for all your help...I didn't know that the temp gauge sender was right beside the cooling temp sensor. Im almost 99% sure that this is my problem. i unpluged it last night and took it out and i looked wore out. Im getting a new sender tomorrow from a ka. Before i found the sender i got a heat gun an check the radiator and hoses and the block etc. and everything was in normal operating temp. So once i put it back in ill let you know what happens, Ive checked all over the internet and it seems like alot of people are having the same problem...maybe this is all we need ! :goodjob: :cheers:

ZenMotors
07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Ok....im about to go crazy! My sr is over heating and i can't figure out why! It had to stock radiator, so i bought a new aluminum radiator with 2 12'fans! And i got a new cooling temp sensor and i replaced the theromstat! Ive read on other forums that the gauges in s14 suck...So i bought a new water temp gauge but havent installed it yet. The hoses are hot ( top & bottom) but its not boiling over or anything and the car runs fine...Im at a loss for ideas! can anyone help!!!??:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Bring it to us! We will take a look at it for you and let you know whats going on. We will not kill you on the price either.

Take care!

rbsilvia
07-05-2009, 11:59 PM
ok guys....I found the over heating problem! I went out and spent over $500.00, New radiator and fans, New thermostat, Burpd the system numerous times got three new gauges, new cooling temp sensor and was about to give up and change the head gasket! Then i found a forum and read up on this issue. Turns out the gauge sensor that is wright beside the cooling temp sensor was bad...AKA, (In dash temp gauge sensor). I had and old sr motor so i just used the one out of it. A new one cost $ 9.99 at advance auto parts. I Hope that everyone with this problem looks for the small stuff first and change all the temp sensors b/c thats alot cheaper than what i done. lol. You can use the sensor from a ka24de or Sr20de or Sr20det...
Good luck and here is a pic of the sensor! thanks for all the help guys!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
http://www.zcentre.co.uk/shop/images/water%20temp%20sensor%20rotated%20650.jpg

ueyedgr8tness
07-06-2009, 12:50 AM
*shakes head* should of got a ka-t:)