PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Which is your favorite midsize sedan available?

RL...
06-28-2009, 10:19 PM
http://s2.desktopmachine.com/pics/Nissan_maxima_317_1024x768.jpg

http://s2.desktopmachine.com/pics/Honda_accord-2008_213_1024x768.jpg

http://s2.desktopmachine.com/pics/Mazda_6_201_1024x768.jpg

http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2009/camry/gallery/full/2009_camry_se_v6_2.jpg

which one

5thgcelica
06-28-2009, 10:20 PM
maxima. the accords a real nice too.

anything mazda puts out now is garbage to me. after working on so many of them, they arent made of anything.

Logan
06-28-2009, 10:22 PM
The new passat looks incredible IMO.

Such potential. I will own a black passat one day...

http://www.carenvy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/vw-passat-cc-1-big.jpg

msanch24
06-29-2009, 12:54 AM
wouldnt it make sense to post a 4 door accord if youre talking about sedans?

HypnoToad
06-29-2009, 01:02 AM
Pontiac G8 GXP or CTS-V

Revmaynard
06-29-2009, 01:06 AM
wouldnt it make sense to post a 4 door accord if youre talking about sedans?

Yes, it would.

Z0_o6
06-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Pontiac G8 GXP or CTS-V

Agreed 100%. Would those be considered full-size though?

Sammich
06-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Agreed 100%. Would those be considered full-size though?i dont think so...cuz if so, then the maxima would be fullsize too

Z0_o6
06-29-2009, 10:39 AM
i dont think so...cuz if so, then the maxima would be fullsize too

Ah ok. Either way, regardless of what somebody wants to call them, they are awesome cars. I test drove a G8 a while back, before the GXP came out, and even in slushbox form the car was great. Nice enough interior, fantastic styling, and plenty plenty of power.

EJ25RUN
06-29-2009, 10:44 AM
So i hear this is the first Maxima that can't be bought with a manual.

Great thinking Nissan :goodjob:

Sammich
06-29-2009, 10:47 AM
THEY HAVE SHIFT PADDLES FROM WHAT I SAW...MAYBE IT WAS SMOETHING ELSE, BUT I SWORE THATS WHAT I SAW

Deke
06-29-2009, 11:03 AM
I never really gave much thought to the older models, but I think the new Maxima looks really sharp.

HypnoToad
06-29-2009, 12:41 PM
if i had to take a midsize car from japan...it be no brainer

mazdaspeed 6

EJ25RUN
06-29-2009, 12:46 PM
if i had to take a midsize car from japan...it be no brainer

mazdaspeed 6

But that isn't sold anymore.

HypnoToad
06-29-2009, 12:47 PM
But that isn't sold anymore.

i knew they still made ms3,i figured a ms6 would be soon........well then id just take a normal V6 6 with the 6sp if u can.

OnURleft
06-29-2009, 01:39 PM
The Maxima is the best I.M.O but the CVT is crap. I'll take the Passat CC

RL...
06-29-2009, 05:22 PM
So i hear this is the first Maxima that can't be bought with a manual.

Great thinking Nissan :goodjob:

This is true. Although I wouldn't buy a maxima to race or mod like that, only to be a DD, so I am perfectly content with maxima's being auto.

EJ25RUN
06-29-2009, 07:14 PM
This is true. Although I wouldn't buy a maxima to race or mod like that, only to be a DD, so I am perfectly content with maxima's being auto.

Automatic 4DSC?

You don't need to race a car to have it as a manual.

As far as I'm concerned, professional racing drivers prefer manual H boxes in their daily drivers because a paddle shifted car would make them feel as if they are at work.

You've never owned a manual have you?

MR2DR
06-29-2009, 08:13 PM
http://www.globalmotors.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/09infg37_090.jpg

i dig it.

greasemunkey
06-29-2009, 09:21 PM
camry pulled off a great look I think.

okra1981
06-29-2009, 09:34 PM
If you're including a Maxima, then I'm going with a TSX or an IS250, better cars than the beefed up Altima known as a Maxima. I remember an article a few years back that broke down how it is pointless to buy a Maxima when you can get a comparably equipped Altima for thousands less.
What I'm really getting at in this post is that you posted another opinion thread with a bias towards your chosen brand, Nissan. I notice how you put the Camry against the Maxima instead of the Altima (which it is getting more difficult to distinguish between categories as the models fatten up over the years, big cars falling off as new compacts are added, putting the Civic and Sentra in the midsize category, but anyway). The car to compare to the Maxima is the Avalon and the TSX or TL, which the Maxima will most likely lose against wholeheartedly, not to mention the 3-series, A4, C class, and even Nissan's own G-series. I'm sorry, Nissan loses in every way, the Maxima is a Pterodactyl, majestic in it's day, but useless in a current world.
Now, if you would have put the Altima up against this crew, I might have voted in that direction, my friend has a six speed V6, it's pretty nice without having a $30k plus base price.

RL...
06-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Automatic 4DSC?

You don't need to race a car to have it as a manual.

As far as I'm concerned, professional racing drivers prefer manual H boxes in their daily drivers because a paddle shifted car would make them feel as if they are at work.

You've never owned a manual have you?

Maxima's have been advertised as 4DSC, but they are not, in fact they fall very short of living up to that kind of title.

As far as I'm concerned I like driving auto's in my daily commutes, although I get the inclination that you swear by manuals, which is fine. And you constantly refer to professional drivers about this and that, but I am no professional driver, and their habits/priorites/preferences do not dictate what I like.

RL...
06-30-2009, 02:40 AM
If you're including a Maxima, then I'm going with a TSX or an IS250, better cars than the beefed up Altima known as a Maxima. I remember an article a few years back that broke down how it is pointless to buy a Maxima when you can get a comparably equipped Altima for thousands less.
What I'm really getting at in this post is that you posted another opinion thread with a bias towards your chosen brand, Nissan. I notice how you put the Camry against the Maxima instead of the Altima (which it is getting more difficult to distinguish between categories as the models fatten up over the years, big cars falling off as new compacts are added, putting the Civic and Sentra in the midsize category, but anyway). The car to compare to the Maxima is the Avalon and the TSX or TL, which the Maxima will most likely lose against wholeheartedly, not to mention the 3-series, A4, C class, and even Nissan's own G-series. I'm sorry, Nissan loses in every way, the Maxima is a Pterodactyl, majestic in it's day, but useless in a current world.
Now, if you would have put the Altima up against this crew, I might have voted in that direction, my friend has a six speed V6, it's pretty nice without having a $30k plus base price.

The maxima is not in the same class as a 3 series, tsx, tl, c class MB, and definitely not the g class. That's ridiculous, mercedes benze c class starts in the high 30's if not low 40's, same can be said for bmws 4 series.

Mercedes, audi, bmw, and acura are all much nicer brands than nissan, and they also command a higher price tag. A better comparison would be a g37 to a 3 or 5 series, which the nissan is a better deal.

I wanted to compare cars that are WITHIN the same size class(midsize sedans) and the same price range.

You apparently think the altima is better, and that's fine, but you need to make better comparisons.

okra1981
06-30-2009, 08:01 PM
C-class Mercedes starts at $32,900, BMW 3 series starts at $33,600, and the G series starts at $33,250, all really close to the starting price of the Maxima at $30,160, seems pretty damn close to me, especially when the Accord, Mazda 6, and Camry you mentioned have a starting price at $20,905, $19,300, and $19,395 respectively. Again, I think you should have compared the $19,900 starting Altima as a comparison car instead of throwing in a ringer of the Maxima, the larger and much better equipped car in your poll.
This is the reason why the Maxima is a dying breed, it is just outclassed by comparably priced cars, especially when Infiniti is offering up an equivalent car for the same money.
Don't knock my choice for comparable, I was just pointing out how the poll was a little skewed.

Also, I said that I might vote in the direction of the Altima, I really like all of the other cars too, I just haven't been in any of the other three that were fully loaded, but they seem to be good cars as well.

abmobil
06-30-2009, 08:47 PM
The maxima is not in the same class as a 3 series, tsx, tl, c class MB, and definitely not the g class. That's ridiculous, mercedes benze c class starts in the high 30's if not low 40's, same can be said for bmws 4 series.

Mercedes, audi, bmw, and acura are all much nicer brands than nissan, and they also command a higher price tag. A better comparison would be a g37 to a 3 or 5 series, which the nissan is a better deal.

I wanted to compare cars that are WITHIN the same size class(midsize sedans) and the same price range.

You apparently think the altima is better, and that's fine, but you need to make better comparisons.

Rick its ovious that the only Maxima you have driven is yours and there nothing wrong with that generation ,but the new ones are a totally diff machine and I think they fare very well against other cars in the 30 to 40k range.

Im not saying they are the best ,but they hold there own.
I doubt the Audi, BMW, or Benz will be as reliable as the Nissan.

RUFFIAN
06-30-2009, 10:03 PM
G8 all the way. A motor with balls, avaliable 6 speed, RWD. Great aftermarket support. Its a no-brainer.

TypeRPersonality
06-30-2009, 10:19 PM
C-class Mercedes starts at $32,900, BMW 3 series starts at $33,600, and the G series starts at $33,250, all really close to the starting price of the Maxima at $30,160, seems pretty damn close to me, especially when the Accord, Mazda 6, and Camry you mentioned have a starting price at $20,905, $19,300, and $19,395 respectively. Again, I think you should have compared the $19,900 starting Altima as a comparison car instead of throwing in a ringer of the Maxima, the larger and much better equipped car in your poll.
This is the reason why the Maxima is a dying breed, it is just outclassed by comparably priced cars, especially when Infiniti is offering up an equivalent car for the same money.
Don't knock my choice for comparable, I was just pointing out how the poll was a little skewed.

Also, I said that I might vote in the direction of the Altima, I really like all of the other cars too, I just haven't been in any of the other three that were fully loaded, but they seem to be good cars as well.

Lol, I was confused by this poll as well.

RL...
07-01-2009, 09:49 AM

Maxima's start for less than 30k. And I didn't state this (because I would never buy a 4 cylinder car) but I meant to compare only the v6 model accords/camrys/6's etc...which are priced similarly with the maxima!

G's and mercedes do start at higher than 3k so they are not in the same range. I meant to compare mainly JAPANESE mid size sedans in the same catagory, if you couldn't tell...That's why there are no domestics or europeans.

I would rather have an audi/bmw/mercedes over any japanese mid size sedan!

okra1981
07-02-2009, 05:12 PM
I quoted Nissan's base pricing from their website (as well as the pricing on Mercedes, BMW, and every other price I posted came from their particular website), the Maxima starts at $30,160, fact. Accord V6 starts at $26,605, Camry V6 at $25,315 (best I can tell from the worst website among automakers), Mazda 6 at $25,080, and Nissan Altima at $25,180; therefore, putting all of these cars within the same price range. You have to admit that the competition for the Maxima is Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, and those pidly European and American cars, it fairs okay against them, but it is unfair to pit it against a car in a different bracket.
It is my fault for quoting the pricing of the Euro cars though, I forgot about this being a midsize Japanese thread, but I was still surprised about the results of a German Luxury-sport entry cars running in the same price range as the Japanese counterparts, even though they are usually lumped in with them in magazines.

1SICKLEX
07-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Out of that list the Maxima