PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Difference in e.c.u. and engine management

chaseamundo
06-28-2009, 03:47 PM
whats the difference in engine management and ecu. or is their one? this is something ive always wondered but never had the time to ask. like i hear people talking about chipping their ecu .....or buying hondata. whats the diff?

scttydb411
06-28-2009, 09:49 PM
hondata is chipping a stock ecu. engine management is anything that controls the function of the engine, fueling, timing, etc.

hontata is a stock ecu that is modified to adjust/scale the stock parameters and/or add others. crome, uberdata, ectune, neptune, etc do the same, but in different ways. aem, motec, etc are standalone engine management ecu that do the same thing, but with their code, not honda stock code.

chaseamundo
06-28-2009, 11:19 PM
but both achieve the same goal.... correct?

Barefoot
06-28-2009, 11:40 PM
but both achieve the same goal.... correct?some better than other but yes.

chaseamundo
06-29-2009, 07:54 AM
ok thanks. one more ?
how would one outperform the other?

Barefoot
06-29-2009, 09:05 AM
ok thanks. one more ?
how would one outperform the other?options and features.

chaseamundo
06-29-2009, 10:55 AM
i see. appreciate it man

SPOOLIN
06-29-2009, 12:41 PM
motec costs $3500-10,000 but its completly stand alone and you can log and adjust anything under the sun with it, you can set up sensors to monitor how much a chassis flexes or leans, squats, anything. Its what NHRA full throttle cars use and just about every racing series out there that involves very professional and competitive big money situations.

AEM is the next best thing at a fraction but has its quirks and not quite as much flexibility

then you hondata which is the best deal for the money, more features, and tons of support.

jerseyef9
06-29-2009, 10:52 PM
i would say go hondata all the way in prefence S300

chaseamundo
06-30-2009, 03:46 PM
why s300?
and what are all the dif types and their features?

Barefoot
06-30-2009, 03:54 PM
http://www.hondata.com/s300.html

chaseamundo
06-30-2009, 04:05 PM
would s200 with boost option be good?

speedminded
06-30-2009, 04:33 PM
motec costs $3500-10,000 but its completly stand alone and you can log and adjust anything under the sun with it, you can set up sensors to monitor how much a chassis flexes or leans, squats, anything. Its what NHRA full throttle cars use and just about every racing series out there that involves very professional and competitive big money situations.

AEM is the next best thing at a fraction but has its quirks and not quite as much flexibility

then you hondata which is the best deal for the money, more features, and tons of support.Has MoTeC upgraded to a graphic software instead of the DOS-based crazyness?

This is what it still looked like in 2006, and still does with that version...
http://seniordesign.engr.uidaho.edu/2005_2006/fsae05_06/pics/05-06/Dyno/MotecSoftware_L.jpg

Don't get me wrong, its still the best out there! Just monotonous working with it!

scttydb411
07-02-2009, 10:22 PM
would s200 with boost option be good?

s200 is not longer available so you would have to find a used unit. if you have the $ then go w/ s300...if not, then crome is my suggestion. s100 will work too, but crome is better than s100.

HatchHero
07-02-2009, 11:11 PM
chrome has never done me wrong!!

WANTED
07-03-2009, 08:52 AM
I use Autronic and have been digging it so far.

Tracy
07-03-2009, 08:58 AM
I would say that AEM has less quirks than some people say. It just depends on what the tuner is comfortable with and the model of car he is using it on. It is also pretty robust in its capabilities, but I assume that when you bring up "flexibility" you mean the car models it can be used on.

speedminded
07-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Mmm...eMS-Pro

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/spectre-emspro-engine-management-system-p-157.html

http://www.diyautotune.com/images/products/sp-ems-7100/sp-ems-7100.jpg

M!SSBOSS
07-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Mmm...eMS-Pro

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/spectre-emspro-engine-management-system-p-157.html

http://www.diyautotune.com/images/products/sp-ems-7100/sp-ems-7100.jpg

EMS-Pro is just a pretty Megasquirt. And old at that. I'm pretty sure its based off MS1, 2 is out.

And I don't think anyone really made the OP understand what he was asking. I may be mistaken.

But EVERY car has an ECU. Well.. Fuel Injected anyways.

ECU's are stock. They come from the factory setup for your stock setups, nothing more. Some can be tuned, with settings being able to be changed on a stock ECU to allow for more timing, larger injectors, etc.

ECU Stands for Engine Control Unit.

Motec, AEM, PowerFC, MAP ECU, etc, are ALL ECU's. But they are user programmable, so you can use them with your modified engines, to allow full control over your motor.

So before I get in over my head, every car has an ECU. Engine Management is something you can tune. Basically.

Tyler @ KSP

*Edit* Haha, still on Carina's name. Ooops.

speedminded
07-04-2009, 01:35 AM
EMS-Pro is just a pretty Megasquirt. And old at that. I'm pretty sure its based off MS1, 2 is out.

And I don't think anyone really made the OP understand what he was asking. I may be mistaken.

But EVERY car has an ECU. Well.. Fuel Injected anyways.

ECU's are stock. They come from the factory setup for your stock setups, nothing more. Some can be tuned, with settings being able to be changed on a stock ECU to allow for more timing, larger injectors, etc.

ECU Stands for Engine Control Unit.

Motec, AEM, PowerFC, MAP ECU, etc, are ALL ECU's. But they are user programmable, so you can use them with your modified engines, to allow full control over your motor.

So before I get in over my head, every car has an ECU. Engine Management is something you can tune. Basically.

Tyler @ KSP

*Edit* Haha, still on Carina's name. Ooops.Don't forget about a piggyback on a stock ECU. I'm not a huge fan but there are plenty of cases where they work well enough to get the job done.

I got more interested in Megasquirt's (hence the MS in eMS-Pro ;) ) capabilities after having dinner with the founders, software engineers, programmers, etc. The eMS-Pro is indeed the MS1 chip but with the MegaSquirt 'n Spark/Extra firmware adding boost control, nitrous, fan control, programmable outputs, water injection...which I think is standard on MS1 now so the eMS-Pro is nothing more than a pretty box and better connectors. Upgrading to MSII is only $60-100 more and I'm not sure the latest status on v3 but it's probably what I'm going with...

Killswitch Performance
07-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Don't forget about a piggyback on a stock ECU. I'm not a huge fan but there are plenty of cases where they work well enough to get the job done.

I got more interested in Megasquirt's (hence the MS in eMS-Pro ;) ) capabilities after having dinner with the founders, software engineers, programmers, etc. The eMS-Pro is indeed the MS1 chip but with the MegaSquirt 'n Spark/Extra firmware adding boost control, nitrous, fan control, programmable outputs, water injection...which I think is standard on MS1 now so the eMS-Pro is nothing more than a pretty box and better connectors. Upgrading to MSII is only $60-100 more and I'm not sure the latest status on v3 but it's probably what I'm going with...

Oh sure, Piggybacks are great for many occasions. There is a reason SAFC's and VAFC's are everywhere!

Yep, I think its cool the DIY guys are local. Makes getting parts easy. We got a MSII Setup a while ago for one of our cars, but I just havn't had the time to wire it up. I really would like to try it out though, seems like a good system, just something new for me to have to learn. My brain isn't that big! Haha.

The ONLY thing I don't like, is it doesn't use the stock CAS. Just a downside to me..

Tyler @ KSP

Z0_o6
07-04-2009, 02:14 AM
I'll stick with my Hydra.

speedminded
07-04-2009, 02:23 AM
The ONLY thing I don't like, is it doesn't use the stock CAS. Just a downside to me..

Tyler @ KSPWha...why not? You should be able to configure it...

On a KA: http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-157236.html

"I printed off a degree wheel and taped it to my crank pulley. I went back through the process of probing the CAS while manually turning the engine. I found that each 180* signal begins approximately 100* before the respective cylinder reaches TDC give or take about 2 degrees. So I figure we'd call it 100 even. I plugged that number into the trigger offset.

I reset my VE map using values calculated for a N/A 2.4L using an online calculator. I then used a more scientific method for startup. I basically zeroed or cut way down every fuel parameter (required fuel, ASE, cold/hot cranking pulsewidths) and started from the top. I increased priming pulsewidths and then the cranking pulsewidths until it begun to fire. It tries to fire anywhere from 6ms and up. It gets better as it goes higher. I actually had good luck running it all the way up to 20ms, which is where it sits currently. It still does not run at that point, but once it is cranking good you can start to bring up the required fuel. I had it set up at 1 and increased it from there. I believe I ran this one up to 12. At that setting it started and sustained idle at around 1500rpms. I will also note that I have no idle control device at this point and idle is sustained with no throttle input from me. "

Killswitch Performance
07-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Oh I know how it works, I have a setup that uses a trigger wheel on my track car. I just don't like it. Just one more thing to go wrong instead of using the factory sensor I guess.

I can see the improvement on a Distributor setup, where you can now use the Ford EDIS or something similar. But I would like to be able to just tap into the stock CAS on a SR or something similar. Ya know?

Tyler @ KSP