PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofers upside down? Purpose?

AnthonyF
10-04-2005, 07:17 PM
I am wanting to do a custom setup. But I need to figure out which way I am going to set my subs. Each sub will have it's own box. One 10 in each trunk corner. i was thinking of doing one with a Ported Box and the other upside down...OR both upside down if it is worth it. Does it actually sound better or is it more for show? Should I just do 2 Ported boxes?

Appreciate all the help.

-Ant.

aaronfelipe
10-04-2005, 07:18 PM
No clue but it looks good with some speakers

AnthonyF
10-04-2005, 07:20 PM
well, that was a fast response, but didn't help too much. lol. I am wanting to do 2 10" Memphis subs.

chuck
10-04-2005, 07:45 PM
yo anthony,
the main reason i've heard other than just for looks is that putting the magnet on the outside of the box opens up more space in the box to get the right airspace specs...you could just build the whole box bigger and it'd do the same thing...lemme know if you are interested in having a box built, i can hook you up and its a lot cheaper than you'd expect

AnthonyF
10-04-2005, 07:56 PM
appreciate it. I am thinking of doing 2 10's, one in each corner. Fiberglassing from there all the way around the sides tot he back of my rear seats. Mounting my Amplifier and capacitor next to my rear seat. Along the sides of fiberglass mounting 6 1/2 speakers with tweeters while keeping the floor space and spare tire hole open.

can the place your talking about that? i was thinking of doing it on my own. read some books, got some dvds, rear some websites, etc...I have a shop and tools and looked like fun.

Pringle1232
10-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Its called inverted mounting. Mounting it either way will have no impact on the sound.

Yea, it is mounted like that for show.

I know an installer for www.f650pickups.com here in town that installed 4 kicker solo x's in a XUV. Looks pretty wicked. http://www.icixsound.com/vb/icixnation/images/886_118.jpg

Good luck.

AnthonyF
10-05-2005, 07:20 PM
looks nice as hell! would it be more like a ported system? a heavly ported system.

Pringle1232
10-05-2005, 07:22 PM
get on aol and im me Pringle1232

Ill point you in the right directions.

chuck
10-05-2005, 08:35 PM
looks nice as hell! would it be more like a ported system? a heavly ported system.

no, its still a sealed enclosure...

Spyder
10-05-2005, 08:40 PM
also it helps cool the motor structure in comparison to having a sub in a sealed box :)

chmura
10-05-2005, 10:40 PM
also it helps cool the motor structure in comparison to having a sub in a sealed box :)

yuppers. helps with heavy powerful subs... especially when u r abusing them...

chmura
10-05-2005, 10:40 PM
appreciate it. I am thinking of doing 2 10's, one in each corner. Fiberglassing from there all the way around the sides tot he back of my rear seats. Mounting my Amplifier and capacitor next to my rear seat. Along the sides of fiberglass mounting 6 1/2 speakers with tweeters while keeping the floor space and spare tire hole open.

can the place your talking about that? i was thinking of doing it on my own. read some books, got some dvds, rear some websites, etc...I have a shop and tools and looked like fun.

Yes we can..... doing something similar now...

AnthonyF
10-06-2005, 05:37 AM
Chumra-you work there also, with Chuck? I'm gonna check out the shop next weekend. I would do it this weekend but going outta town.

appreciate the help everyone.

YokotaS13
10-06-2005, 01:23 PM
bump for Chumra, bad assed guy! He can do it fo sho

Allstar3.8T
10-07-2005, 01:20 AM
The main advantage is to save the space of the subs basket/magnet structure in an undersized enclosure. Cooling is gained, as well as a different look. They work almost identical (Not exact due to enclosure seeing more air space w/ the speakers guts removed from the equation) as long as you wire the sub out of phase.
This is a real old trick also done to mimic "push/pull compound isobarik" enclosures of the late 80s early 90s. This was two subs face to face, one in the box, one out obv... the outside one wired out of phase, and they generally benefit w/ a tighter sound due to the playing ridgity of two layered cone playing as one sub. Tight and clear, but minimal volume gain. Makes it sound like one great sub vs two OK ones... Now that technology allows one sub to pound , its an archaic method to do woofers.

chmura
10-07-2005, 02:01 AM
The main advantage is to save the space of the subs basket/magnet structure in an undersized enclosure. Cooling is gained, as well as a different look. They work almost identical (Not exact due to enclosure seeing more air space w/ the speakers guts removed from the equation) as long as you wire the sub out of phase.
This is a real old trick also done to mimic "push/pull compound isobarik" enclosures of the late 80s early 90s. This was two subs face to face, one in the box, one out obv... the outside one wired out of phase, and they generally benefit w/ a tighter sound due to the playing ridgity of two layered cone playing as one sub. Tight and clear, but minimal volume gain. Makes it sound like one great sub vs two OK ones... Now that technology allows one sub to pound , its an archaic method to do woofers.

WOW

Allstar3.8T
10-07-2005, 02:10 AM
18 yrs doin audio will teach you a thing or two....
:)