PDA

View Full Version : Need help installing capacitor...

CLyons27
03-24-2005, 08:28 PM
i have no idea how to install a capacitor so i was wondering if anyone who has experience could help me out somehow

5thgcelica
03-24-2005, 09:21 PM
pretty simple. well somewhat

you're going to need a heavy gauge wire. i used 4g which is what i had powering my amp.
you're going to need connectors for the ends of the wires, the nice eye hook ones.

first you're going to have to charge the cap. hopefully it gave you some schematics on that along with a lightbulb. i used 14g wire for this i believe. this is kind of hard to explain with out making it confusing. take a length of wire, attach the lightbulb to one end, and just cut the sleving on the other end, take another length of wire attach to the other end of the light bulb, and then take the other end and connect it to the + on the cap. and then get another wire for your ground, connect it to the ground on the cap and then cut the sleving off the other end. you then touch the unsleved wire ends to the respective terminals on the battery. the light bulb should light up, and it will go dim or completely out when the cap is fully charged. DO NOT, for the love of god touch, or have a wire touch both prongs on the cap.

then for wiring it up. g take the power cable that is run from your battery to your amp, run the power wire to the cap instead on the + connector, run the shortest cable possible from the + on the cap to the amp.

then what i did was just ran a ground from the cap to the car, and then ran another ground wire from the cap to the amp.

i knwo this was probably pretty confusing. hopefully you got some pictures and junk with your cap. i know i did mine. you might wanna google if you didnt to see if you can get anything cleared up.

speedracer41
03-25-2005, 06:18 AM
That about dums it up. Good Luck

redgst97
03-25-2005, 08:58 PM
If you do not "charge" the cap, you will only get a small spark when you hook it up. Nothing to worry about...just like when you replace the car battery. When you reconnect the terminals, you get a small spark. Same thing with a cap...just a small spark.

DO NOT hook it up backwards. Make sure you have positive to positive.

Its easy....

John

accented
03-26-2005, 09:26 AM
yeah i always just hooked it up, never charging it with a lightbulb

5thgcelica
03-26-2005, 10:21 AM
i wasnt aware you could hook it up with out charging it. i just read directions. so yea cool, id avoid the charging step, less to do :)

accented
03-26-2005, 10:52 AM
lol you read the directions?

5thgcelica
03-26-2005, 10:54 AM
well it was like just a basic schematic on the package. i had never done it before. no one to teach me anything. so..yeah. i just looked at it how to hook it up. just followed the schematic