PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors ATTN Girls

AlliRae
06-26-2009, 04:49 PM
What do you carry? and why?

I'm in the market to purchase something and I want to see what everybody else was working with.

hondakid2
06-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Coach some times I carry my luis!

AlliRae
06-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Coach some times I carry my luis!

:gay::gay::gay:

SiRed94
06-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Well I'm not a girl, but if you have small hands and want something to carry in your purse or something, the Ruger LCP's are pretty decent. Or you could get a 38 snub nose revolver.

AlliRae
06-26-2009, 05:23 PM
hrmmm i'll have to take a look at those. thansk!

SiRed94
06-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Here's the LCP. I'd recommend it over something similar like a Kel-Tec even though they are a little more expensive.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCP/

And as far as the revolvers go, Smith and Wesson Airweight J - Frames make great pocket guns, but they are a bit pricey.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14793&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y

If you want a cheaper revolver check out Taurus.

Truegiant
06-26-2009, 09:34 PM
I have some words of wisdom that I tell everyone.

GO TO A rental range and rent a bunch of different ones. Its usually like 10-15 bucks to rent them for an hour and they will let you switch them out etc.. Find out what work frame, caliber, weight, etc works best for you and buy it that way. Do your research ahead of time so you know what you getting into as far as prices and the different platforms. Let us know how your range report goes and I am sure we can help you / give you feedback.

Oh my wife refuses to carry a gun so she carries me. I will rent my fees out for a small fee. J/K.

If your ever in the savannah area I teach pistol and carbine self defense courses on side and also defensive tactics/combatives/hand-to-hand combat.

Hope we can point you in the right direction.

patrick4588
06-27-2009, 02:08 AM
if you are in your avatar; you are superbad.

AlliRae
06-27-2009, 04:18 AM

GO TO A rental range and rent a bunch of different ones. Its usually like 10-15 bucks to rent them for an hour and they will let you switch them out etc.. Find out what work frame, caliber, weight, etc works best for you and buy it that way. Do your research ahead of time so you know what you getting into as far as prices and the different platforms. Let us know how your range report goes and I am sure we can help you / give you feedback.

Oh my wife refuses to carry a gun so she carries me. I will rent my fees out for a small fee. J/K.

If your ever in the savannah area I teach pistol and carbine self defense courses on side and also defensive tactics/combatives/hand-to-hand combat.

That is what my dad has been telling me to do except come down to his house and bring some ammo lol. I guess i will head down there and see what hes got to say... I'll bring back some targets... post em... and see what you guys have got to say. See - and I'm more of a rifle person so this is a bit of some new territory for me.

Danny
06-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Alli, manufacturer websites can help you narrow down what you will like. For example, decide on a couple major factors and then you can use the specs on websites to narrow down your possible purchases.

I would try and get a good idea you want out of size and caliber. Caliber will take some test shooting most likely to decide what you like. And size takes some thinking and planning a head on things like: where will you carry (hip, appendix, purse, under arm, and a variety of more creative places), and what the ultimate purpose of the weapon is ( carry, carry and training, training only, home defense, etc).

khar arms has some sexy little guns that they market towards chicks. They are also pricy, but worth a look. They may be money well spent for you.

Post up exactly what you want to do with the gun, and if you have a preference on where you want to carry it on your person. Its just important to remember there are trade offs with every decision you make in choosing a firearm, there is no 1 size fits all by any means.

summary:

Caliber: very subjective, mostly person preference (when choosing from 9mm, .40, and .45).

Size: dependent on body type, choice of attire, and preferred location of carry, and purpose of weapon.

NickW
06-27-2009, 10:53 AM

Exactly. ^^

And just for some input to your question, my wife ended up going with a .357 revolver. I was glad she picked it. :)

Jason..
06-27-2009, 12:06 PM
You should carry thin in your purse

http://www.macsparky.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/time-bomb.jpg

set the timer for 15 sec and....

The Ren
06-27-2009, 12:41 PM
my boyfriend wants to get me a remington home defense shot gun.. personally id rather have a pistol but i know shot guns are easier to shoot.

ShooterMcGavin
06-30-2009, 10:01 AM
kahr cw line of pistols are pretty reasonably priced.

DaX
07-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Alli,

My wife carries a Taurus PT111 Pro. She liked the compact size, and wanted something in 9mm. It has a 12 round magazine. It wouldn't have been my choice, but it is not my carry gun. I do recommend you shoot before you buy.

Hi Ren! :D

Red_Phoenix
07-01-2009, 09:13 AM
What do you carry? and why?

I'm in the market to purchase something and I want to see what everybody else was working with.

I have a p6 sig sauer. Its dead on for accuracy and the grip is not huge so it sits nicely in smaller hands. It's an old German police gun and made completely out of metal. I'm not a fan of new stuff that is half plastic.

81911SC
07-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I have a p6 sig sauer. Its dead on for accuracy and the grip is not huge so it sits nicely in smaller hands. It's an old German police gun and made completely out of metal. I'm not a fan of new stuff that is half plastic.Don't get hung up on this type talk either, people.
Not saying it's wrong but it's heavy. I know for a summer carry I like a lighter weapon.
Allie, whatever fits your hand best and what you shoot best with is what you want. Try as many as you can.

ShooterMcGavin
07-01-2009, 09:26 AM
I have a p6 sig sauer. Its dead on for accuracy and the grip is not huge so it sits nicely in smaller hands. It's an old German police gun and made completely out of metal. I'm not a fan of new stuff that is half plastic.
polymer thank you :tongue1:

SuzukiLMRacer
07-01-2009, 05:35 PM
My sister carries a 9mm Walther P22, which is pink and carbon fiber btw, and its a nice little gun.
I bought my mom a .22 Derringer 2 shot, tiny and with right ammo, it'll do whatever you need.
I will buy my girlfriend a Sig P228, if she can handle it...lol.

Truegiant
07-01-2009, 07:50 PM
9mm P22 huh. Check your source and get back with me.

p99 maybe?

SiRed94
07-01-2009, 09:53 PM
9mm Walther P22

LOL

SuzukiLMRacer
07-02-2009, 08:53 AM
http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SWWAP22505&items=exclusives

I only saw it it twice, and it was bought by her "friend", there is a link to the picture of it.
I guess it is a .22 ...my bad, :shrug: .

I still vote for Sig compact though.

Tracy
07-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Dan has been trying to find me a Para Ordnance. They make a small one that we can never find...so that probably doesn't help :)

The best gun I ever shot was a modded Glock. It was light and had very little kick back. I'm not sure that it was small, per say, but it felt good to me.

I agree about the range part, you could come with us sometime if you want. My boys have tons of guns, so you won't even have to rent them. PM me if you are interested and I will call you next time we go.

The Ren
07-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Alli,

My wife carries a Taurus PT111 Pro. She liked the compact size, and wanted something in 9mm. It has a 12 round magazine. It wouldn't have been my choice, but it is not my carry gun. I do recommend you shoot before you buy.

Hi Ren! :D

Hi.. I've heard of the Taurus.. another friend of mine has it and loves it!

Truegiant
07-02-2009, 11:20 AM
para warthog is the small one your prlly speaking of. neat little compact 1911.

Taurus pistols are great entry level tools that go bang when you squeeze the trigger.

AlliRae
07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
well i ended up getting a glock 26 the 9mm. The one that was up for sale on here through Derrick. I know glocks are good guns and I wanted a 9mm. Since I'm living alone mostly and wanted something asap. But I am going to shoot it tomorrow I will post pics... no laughing though lol I haven't shot anything in about 3 years.

Tracy
07-02-2009, 05:51 PM
well i ended up getting a glock 26 the 9mm. The one that was up for sale on here through Derrick. I know glocks are good guns and I wanted a 9mm. Since I'm living alone mostly and wanted something asap. But I am going to shoot it tomorrow I will post pics... no laughing though lol I haven't shot anything in about 3 years.I think you will like it. Ask sleepingtalon on here about mods for it.

AlliRae
07-03-2009, 02:02 PM
So i went shooting today down at my parents house (they live in the middle of nowhere... it's nice... sometimes).

I wasn't sure what to expect. The recoil wasn't bad at all. Took a few shots to get used to though. Esp since I've only shot a pistol a very few times... a few years ago.

It's really not that bad, I enjoyed it. Shoots about 5-7 inches low and about 1-2 inches to the left. I have a picture of the last round that I shot. i'll post it up in the next few days when I can get a computer of my own.

I also got to shoot my dads glock compact 9mm. It's the m15 i think. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means. It was okay - less recoil... too big for carrying though even though it's a bit lighter.

We worked on a bit of technique and stance and it all seemed to help. He was also telling me about some mods that I could do. Tracy - I'll talk to sleepingtalon about what he says too. I love imput. haha

Truegiant
07-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Remember different ammo will create different shot groups and round placement. Shoot a bunch of different ammo and find the one that works best for you. A quick spring change and a little trigger work with a stance that works for you and you will be surprised how effective that little glock is going to be.

Danny
07-03-2009, 03:54 PM
It's really not that bad, I enjoyed it. Shoots about 5-7 inches low and about 1-2 inches to the left. I have a picture of the last round that I shot. i'll post it up in the next few days when I can get a computer of my own.

chances are you are shooting down and to the left, not the gun. Pointing the finger at the gun is always last resort. Sounds like a typical right handed shooter, proper technique will fix it, poor technique will make it worse.

Truegiant
07-03-2009, 04:04 PM
here is a neat little target to shoot at. its not always the case but usually solves 70% of peoples problems

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/truegiant/wheel-1.gif

AlliRae
07-03-2009, 04:05 PM
chances are you are shooting down and to the left, not the gun. Pointing the finger at the gun is always last resort. Sounds like a typical right handed shooter, proper technique will fix it, poor technique will make it worse.

yes i understand that. But when 2 other people - who are far better than me - shoot it with the same results, then I look at the gun. Not all guns are made the same, and since the sites are non adjustable they can just be a little bit off. It's really not a big deal and i can compensate for anything. Just merely pointing out the trend that I noticed when multiple people shot the gun.

AlliRae
07-03-2009, 04:06 PM
here is a neat little target to shoot at. its not always the case but usually solves 70% of peoples problems

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/truegiant/wheel.gif

interesting... i might have to try this. just to see... right now seems plausible.

Truegiant
07-03-2009, 04:06 PM
like i mentioned dont forget ammo can cause crazy shot placement.

AlliRae
07-03-2009, 04:07 PM
true true.

Truegiant
07-03-2009, 04:09 PM
neat little article to read over when you get time.

http://www.greent.com/40Page/general/defammo.htm

Tracy
07-03-2009, 04:16 PM

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/truegiant/wheel-1.gif
Ha ha! Great illustration and totally true for me!

all_american_gurl09
07-04-2009, 01:33 PM
unfortnally i dont have anything yet :(

AlliRae
07-05-2009, 03:22 PM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/bartenderallison/Allison008.jpg

from 7-8 yards

Truegiant
07-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Are these single shots, controlled pairs, or rapid fire shots? They look like single shots. Did you shoot from a rest or from standing up? To be honest from my experience it looks like you changed your sight picture 3 times and aniticipated your trigger squeeze/recoil 5 times. Atleast you hit the plate from that distance.

Keep practicing and be sure to change your targets very often. I recommend that to alot of the new people I teach to shoot. An over used target doesnt allow you to actually see whats going on with your groupings, etc..

GOod job!

ShooterMcGavin
07-05-2009, 09:50 PM
so you have one of the rare inaccurate glocks? interesting, take it down to smyrna and have them take a look and fire off a few rounds to see if it's really the shooter or the gun ;)

allmotoronly
07-06-2009, 06:33 AM
My wife carries a Ruger LCR. It's a small framed revolver in .38 special +p and holds 5 rounds. It is the same size as a S&W j frame, but weighs only 13 ounces. It's the lightest revolver on the market. The only problem is that they are impossible to find right now. I got hers the day they came out, and haven't seen one back in stock anywhere I shop for guns...

ShooterMcGavin
07-06-2009, 08:00 AM
^^^so why you selling it? :P

Truegiant
07-06-2009, 11:31 AM
LCR's are not rare. There are about 15 around my local shops and literally hundreds on gunbroker going for $425 all day.

Neat little pistol though

Danny
07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
hey allie, not sure if your interested but i saw this pop up on GON. I am considering getting my gf a khar at some point in time.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=372164

ShooterMcGavin
07-07-2009, 10:40 AM
i've heard the kahr .40s kick like a mofo bc of their small size.

Danny
07-07-2009, 10:44 AM
i've heard the kahr .40s kick like a mofo bc of their small size.

ya the felt recoil will be higher than a heavier gun. But there is a compromise with every gun. In this case your trading size for felt recoil.

The one i shot didnt seem to 'kick like a mofo'. Seemed similar to my g27.

ShooterMcGavin
07-07-2009, 11:16 AM
ya the felt recoil will be higher than a heavier gun. But there is a compromise with every gun. In this case your trading size for felt recoil.

The one i shot didnt seem to 'kick like a mofo'. Seemed similar to my g27.
was referring more to the fact that it would kick more to a female. and why not just get the kahr in a 9mm?

Danny
07-07-2009, 11:39 AM
was referring more to the fact that it would kick more to a female. and why not just get the kahr in a 9mm?

I know where your coming from. Caliber is up to the buyer. I was just posting that one because its what popped up on GON. If i was to get one i would consider the 9mm over the 40.

SiRed94
07-07-2009, 11:53 AM
I really hope that link being posted doesn't cause an influx of idiots to that site. LoL

Truegiant
07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
^^^ YEp and roger.. I have posted a few and a few random idiots have hoped over there but hopefully we can keep it to a minimum. I will never forget the first time i saw some stupid 17yo from this site post up a b16 head for trade on gon. I recommended ban to the mods on Woodys and he is no longer there. Thank GOD!!

Anywho..

SiRed94
07-07-2009, 12:16 PM
^^^ YEp and roger.. I have posted a few and a few random idiots have hoped over there but hopefully we can keep it to a minimum. I will never forget the first time i saw some stupid 17yo from this site post up a b16 head for trade on gon. I recommended ban to the mods on Woodys and he is no longer there. Thank GOD!!

Anywho..

LOL stupid. Well, one idiot down.

Danny
07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
itll be ok. this section is doin pretty good about avoiding the typical IA morons.

Ill kill the link later

Truegiant
07-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Silence.... I KILL YOU!

haha

On a side note.. danny.. you got pm

allmotoronly
07-17-2009, 12:39 PM
LCR's are not rare. There are about 15 around my local shops and literally hundreds on gunbroker going for $425 all day.

Neat little pistol though

well I guess the gun shops in your area are hording them. I went to about 10 different places today in my area and still have not seen another. Also, the problem with gunbroker is that unlike you and I, most people think it is highly complicated to buy and transfer firearms over the internet, which steers a lot of people away. 90% of people would rather buy from a store or a person than over the internet and have to go through a FFL to get the firearm shipped and transferred. Thats why it is always more profitable to sell locally than on gunbroker.