PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Job opening at Best Buy

Lower4
10-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Hello all,

I've had this big problem i've been contemplating about. I recently had a job offering at best buy, in the computer department. It seems like a really good job, etc. but i've asked around and have had mixed opinions on working at best buy. All i want to really know is, people who are working there or formerly working there, is it worth it? I mean, in the long run, does anyone here think it's an ok job for the next year of my life? There just seems so many pros and cons of my current job, and the job they're giving me at best buy. o well, i'll await everyone's replies... :doh:

HyPer50
10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
http://www.bestbuysux.org/

Brett
10-04-2005, 03:25 PM
I suggest you dont base your job or future or life on what IA thinks

Jimmy B
10-04-2005, 03:27 PM
why? there is no life after IA.. IA is your life.. face it... listen to anyone and everyone on here.. after all, they are your only real friends..

The Yousef
10-04-2005, 03:28 PM

:goodjob:

...do whatever makes you happy

if you do decide on the job...make sure you sell the warranty...if not..then it will suck...

The Yousef
10-04-2005, 03:29 PM
after all, they are your only real friends..

...sad/weird/cool part is most of my friends are on here... :lmfao:

yousef

EG BTER
10-04-2005, 03:29 PM
are you gunna be a GEEK SQUAD guy???

AznTraitor
10-04-2005, 03:32 PM
http://www.bestbuysux.org/

holy crap....there are ALOT of pissed off employees....

I have two friends who work at the Best Buys here in Columbus, and they hate it. Apparently, it's a nazi like regime and it's all fake smiles.....

gtikid
10-04-2005, 03:32 PM

Why not? Some of us have worked at Best Buy and know how shitty it really is. I worked at Best Buy for a year and hated every single minute of it. They don't pay shit for the amount of work they make you do. Circuit City, Fry's, Brandsmart, Hifi Buys, even Hhgregg pay more than what Best Buy does. Best Buy managers are always on your ass about stupid shit and they also make threats too. I would not recommend

Jimmy B
10-04-2005, 03:33 PM
...sad/weird/cool part is most of my friends are on here... :lmfao:

yousef

but you dont count.. cuz your aight

gtikid
10-04-2005, 03:33 PM
holy crap....there are ALOT of pissed off employees....

I have two friends who work at the Best Buys here in Columbus, and they hate it. Apparently, it's a nazi like regime and it's all fake smiles.....

Exactly. An assload of fake smiles

4dmin
10-04-2005, 03:34 PM
i look at it this way, if your not making any less money going there, and if it is a good career choice (computers) for you then its a good idea. if you don't know jack shit aobut computers and are looking for some type of job for the next year i would suggest another position. either way you get a discount there and it kicks ass b/c BB has everything cool :D

AznTraitor
10-04-2005, 03:35 PM
I say Fry's...that place has more than BB ;)

Kristi
10-04-2005, 03:48 PM
well after visiting the new one on 124 this weekend - they definitely need some good computer guys - those guys didn't know squat.

but one of my good friends worked there for a couple months and absolutely hated it. he said it was one of the worst jobs he's had - that the management treats you like shit.

KevinT707
10-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I agree with everything this man has to say. I used to work for Best Buy for 1 1/2 years. Complete BS in that place

They don't pay shit for the amount of work they make you do. Circuit City, Fry's, Brandsmart, Hifi Buys, even Hhgregg pay more than what Best Buy does. Best Buy managers are always on your ass about stupid shit and they also make threats too. I would not recommend

RandomGuy
10-04-2005, 04:48 PM
u live in gwinnett? By any chance are you considering the store on pleasant hill (504)... I worked in the computer department for almost a year... seriously the job SUCKS! Its straight bullshit. You have to sit there and lie to customers, misrepresent information, you get tired of the bullshit... and fake smiles!!
i still know just about everyone in PCHO department... some of my boys are still there.

My advice: get hired at BB, stay for a month or two... (get the training in.. which best buy is known for having the best)... then walk into frys tell them that you work at best buy and want to work there... bam they'll usually hire you on the spot.. set you up with and interview... you get PAID at frys and its much more laid back...

Z33_kid
10-04-2005, 07:35 PM
lets juss say u take the jobb n stay ther i wish i had tht jobb

AznTraitor
10-04-2005, 08:01 PM
I hear microcenter pays pretty well...and management is pretty good there.

Lower4
10-04-2005, 08:46 PM
You guys make me terrified of working there now. Thanks guys. Ill go apply at fry's and microcenter now...

AznTraitor
10-04-2005, 08:58 PM
I dont think anyone is trying to scare you, more of warning you....

gtikid
10-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Everything everybody has been saying is true. BB tries pulling the whole "we're a team" bullshit by having those gay ass Saturday morning meetings but it's the worst job ever. And so far no one has said anything good about the place. I remember when i first started working there i thought it was going to be the shit b/c yea it's Best Buy! :jerkit: Hasan (RandomGuy) worked there with me and so did Naveed (NzProjectz sp?). It's not all its cut out to be

Lower4
10-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Dayum. That's all i can say.

SilverJester
10-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Yeah you guys make this place sound horrible. I am currently 1 interview shy of being hired there for the geek squad right now but I might have rethink this if what you say is true. But then again I just really need a jo right now, pretty much anything but fastfood. hmmm.

LicKaPuSS
10-05-2005, 12:31 AM
This is how best buy works!!!
1) They give you the job
2) Promise raises
3) When it comes time for a raise the managers ride your ass until they can find something to fire you over
4) You end up quiting the job because you know your about to get fired over some stupid shit!!
By hiring another person to replace you is cheaper then giving a hard worker a raise!!

FUCK BESTBUY!!!

Schugg
10-05-2005, 01:22 AM
i think im going to goto best buy, just to see if i can get a employee to talk shit about bestbuy.

but anyways, ide get the job if u can, then fuck them over if they really are lame.

gtikid
10-05-2005, 02:41 PM
1) They give you the job
2) Promise raises
3) When it comes time for a raise the managers ride your ass until they can find something to fire you over
4) You end up quiting the job because you know your about to get fired over some stupid shit!!
By hiring another person to replace you is cheaper then giving a hard worker a raise!!

FUCK BESTBUY!!!

That is soooooo true. One of my managers got fired b/c he had a cell phone. Like he said, they'd rather hire someone else and pay them less instead of giving you a raise. That's why their training program is so good, like someone else said. Hasan was actually fired for a very stupid reason too. I forgot what it was but he'll probably post it up.

Switchinlanez
10-05-2005, 03:20 PM
I use to work at frys and its twice the size of best buy as the matter of fact when i was working there everyone from best buy was trying to get a job at fry's i mean shit does best buy have a cafe in it?NO

gtikid
10-05-2005, 03:24 PM
I use to work at frys and its twice the size of best buy as the matter of fact when i was working there everyone from best buy was trying to get a job at fry's i mean shit does best buy have a cafe in it?NO

We're talking about actually working at a store, not which one gives the better shopping experience. But i was working at BB when Fry's opened up and i remember a lot of coworkers going over there

MachNU
10-05-2005, 05:41 PM
1) They give you the job
2) Promise raises

FUCK BESTBUY!!!

WOW if that is not the bases of most jobs!!!!! :goodjob:

Red
10-05-2005, 07:28 PM
I work in the geek squad department and it's okay for a part-time job. I really like the people I work with. :)

iNsTuN nOoDoH
10-05-2005, 09:34 PM
I only lasted 3 months there. Was only there for the discount. Management does suck. Pay was $9 @ the time so it was alright... The amount of kiss ass you gotta do and up sales that u gotta do to get nothing in return sucks. If the store's shrink is bad...its your fault. Hours sucked... I didn't like it at all...

Negrodamus
10-05-2005, 09:44 PM
FYI.....ANY retail job is gay. :goodjob:

RandomGuy
10-05-2005, 10:11 PM
I only lasted 3 months there. Was only there for the discount. Management does suck. Pay was $9 @ the time so it was alright... The amount of kiss ass you gotta do and up sales that u gotta do to get nothing in return sucks. If the store's shrink is bad...its your fault. Hours sucked... I didn't like it at all...
werent u seasonal? i remember... i thought they automatically fire seasonals when they have no use for them anymore....

anyways... if u dont got a job, BB is decent... (as a temp job)... but its BS. Find a decent job where you dont gotta brown-nose and you're set.

yeah Julian, a manager got fired for using a cell phone on the clock... i mean wtf is that shit? They did want him to leave and what not... but why not tell him... or something wtf is that shit.

RandomGuy
10-05-2005, 10:13 PM
We're talking about actually working at a store, not which one gives the better shopping experience. But i was working at BB when Fry's opened up and i remember a lot of coworkers going over there
lol were you really...

CC! liar! lol

gtikid
10-05-2005, 10:45 PM
lol were you really...

CC! liar! lol

no you fucking slut...i was working at BB when Fry's opened up. Then i went to RadioShack and hated it even more, and then i moved on to CC...thank you come again :2up: :lmfao:

RandomGuy
10-06-2005, 05:31 AM
no you fucking slut...i was working at BB when Fry's opened up. Then i went to RadioShack and hated it even more, and then i moved on to CC...thank you come again :2up: :lmfao:
you werent at 504 were you... cuz i VIVIDLY remember that period when we were all sweating them and shit we were like "oh shit they have a theatre inside" and lotsa shit at the team meetings man... Lol not like it matters but daym... i dont remember EVER seein you in blue... i remember u used to visit with the red sometimes.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
10-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Yeah I was seasonal, but brian asked me to stay when I told him I wanted to leave.
I don't see how fry's stay in business with the sorry ass customer service they got... ITS ALL ABOUT CARE PLUS! =0)

hotgeezer
10-08-2005, 04:28 PM
i work at bb on barrett, its alright...but i've been there a year so i can boss people around now

IntegraXTR
10-21-2005, 03:02 PM
BEST BUY is worth just as much as my shit, I worked there for half a year at the southlake pavillion location, someone there is always on your fukin ass, they always bitch about hitting the daily sales, and shrink is a bitch, like its your damn fault that ppl steal shit and get away...but the one good side to it is the discount, they dont really give you a certain % dicount but if I had to make a rough estimate it would be about 40-50%, depending on what you're trying to buy. I wouldnt work there if I was you especially in the computer department because they have to make the most in one day, meaning you are going to get your ass chewed out.

NzProjeKt
10-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Why not? Some of us have worked at Best Buy and know how shitty it really is. I worked at Best Buy for a year and hated every single minute of it. They don't pay shit for the amount of work they make you do. Circuit City, Fry's, Brandsmart, Hifi Buys, even Hhgregg pay more than what Best Buy does. Best Buy managers are always on your ass about stupid shit and they also make threats too. I would not recommend
CO-FUCKING-SIGN!!!!!!

NzProjeKt
10-21-2005, 09:13 PM
WalMart >>>> Best Buy... The managers are BIG HEADED... The pay is low and their expectations are HIGH... I got hired for a position in a department that didnt even exist... Furthermore, seasonal work is even worse since you have to deal with the bullshit from BLACK FRIDAY!!!!!!

ct9a gsr
10-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Heh... sounds like the sales floor is a rough place to work in...

I work in the Geek Squad @ Best Buy #501. Frankly... I somewhat happy with my job. I hate working in general... but I don't really mind working my job compared to any of my previous jobs. My main complaint is that they pay the computer techs a lower pay than any other computer tech job I've seen... ... ... and they like to hire computer tech's with little to no previous knowledge or discipline.

As far as all the issues with management... I've never really had management hassle me once about working. Generally, the managers don't bother the Geek Squad too much but when they do, they never ask anything too big of us or bitch us out or anything... they're fairly nice. But then again... our Geek Squad is #2 in the company so we're not *too* worried 'bout our #'s. =]

SOHC MONSTER
10-24-2005, 04:31 PM
i hate best buy....bought my computer there, had to take it back b/c the damn thing crapped out...i go to pick it up off the counter and shit is bangin around inside...none of the circuit boards were even plugged in, just loosly beating up against the walls of the tower....i asked the WTF!! they claimed they didnt know how that happened...i was like YES YOU DO, YOU WERENT PAYING ATTENTION. ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE SO DAMN FAKE, FOLLOWING ME AROUND THE STORE TRYING TO SELL ME SOME ALBUM IVE NEVER HEARD OF USING A CHEEZY SALES PITCH! yea best buy is fake...no one likes working there...

gtikid
10-24-2005, 06:27 PM
i hate best buy....bought my computer there, had to take it back b/c the damn thing crapped out...i go to pick it up off the counter and shit is bangin around inside...none of the circuit boards were even plugged in, just loosly beating up against the walls of the tower....i asked the WTF!! they claimed they didnt know how that happened...i was like YES YOU DO, YOU WERENT PAYING ATTENTION. ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE SO DAMN FAKE, FOLLOWING ME AROUND THE STORE TRYING TO SELL ME SOME ALBUM IVE NEVER HEARD OF USING A CHEEZY SALES PITCH! yea best buy is fake...no one likes working there...

buahahaha i think your talking about RHAPSODY...is that right? hahaha i remember that...when they first told me about i was like what? A RAP CD? hahaha :lmfao: :lmfao:

SilverJester
10-24-2005, 11:16 PM
I still don't think I would mine trying out a job there, but they have lost 2 of my interviews, then got a third one where they told me they weren't hiring for geek squad anymore, but they would interview me for the photo department. But when i call back to checkon my status I get transfer all over the store, ung up on, and put on hold forever! grrrr

SOHC MONSTER
10-25-2005, 12:28 AM
the store by my house is full of horrible sales people, everything i walk by they sneak up behind you "hey sir, can i help you with something?" im like jeeeez guy can i at least look at the damn thing before you cram it down my damn throat?????????

ct9a gsr
10-25-2005, 03:13 AM

Defective computers are not the fault of BestBuy. We don't build the computers we sell you (anymore), rather, we just market and sell them.

I really don't understand your story either... you say your computer that you bought from there "crapped out" so you took it back... but at some point, you picked it up and all the "circuit boards" became unplugged? Is that referring to the new computer they exchanged your old one out for?... or your old computer randomly disassembled itself?

If that comment about the computer disassembling itself is referring to the new computer they exchanged your old one out for, again, its not our fault. If the computer is sealed in the factory box, that means it may have been damaged in the process of shipping... which is rare. In that case, BB would exchange that unit out for another one.

By no means am I a BB fanboy... however, I don't like it when customers bullshit about anything they possibley can... for the sake of bullshitting. It happens too often. =]

BTW, SilverJester, I have no idea why they denied you in our GeekSquad... however, I'd love to fire a couple of the new people hired and get you on our team. If that happens, I'll let ya know.

Scooby Pilot
10-25-2005, 07:45 AM
so hoiw many people on here know my gf LOL, wow didnt realize so many people had worked at 504... Natasha Anderson....she WAS the Super for customer service.... after 4 years she gets pregant and they give her position away and stick her in the warehouse. for a lot less money. Can't complain tho, there are some cool people that work up there...employees anyway.

SOHC MONSTER
10-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Defective computers are not the fault of BestBuy. We don't build the computers we sell you (anymore), rather, we just market and sell them.

I really don't understand your story either... you say your computer that you bought from there "crapped out" so you took it back... but at some point, you picked it up and all the "circuit boards" became unplugged? Is that referring to the new computer they exchanged your old one out for?... or your old computer randomly disassembled itself?

If that comment about the computer disassembling itself is referring to the new computer they exchanged your old one out for, again, its not our fault. If the computer is sealed in the factory box, that means it may have been damaged in the process of shipping... which is rare. In that case, BB would exchange that unit out for another one.

By no means am I a BB fanboy... however, I don't like it when customers bullshit about anything they possibley can... for the sake of bullshitting. It happens too often. =]

BTW, SilverJester, I have no idea why they denied you in our GeekSquad... however, I'd love to fire a couple of the new people hired and get you on our team. If that happens, I'll let ya know.
i didnt get a new computer, it was the computer i brought in for service. if you would like i will elaboate for you, the mother board was bad as well as the video card. also when i picked the computer up, it was on a shelf. i picked it up off the shelf, parts were loosley moving around inside the tower. no i didnt get the computer replaced, i got the same ol scratched up tower i brought in......does that clear things up for you???

static
10-25-2005, 05:21 PM
I just grabbed a job at Best Buy like 1 week ago. It will be for a couple years for me while I go to college. The discounts are well worth it to me anyway. You get face value on cd's dvd's and especially car audio. Audio is high dollar stuff and you get it for like 60% less.

JPA
11-30-2005, 11:36 PM
I worked in the media department at the Kennesaw store.

This should sum it up right here:

I got hired as seasonal in 2004, they decided to keep me. The gave me a raise from $7 to $7.21 because of this. New management comes in the store, new supervisor, etc. I repeatedly ask to go full-time, supervisor pretends to think about it, nothing ever happens. I'm given floor-leading responsibilities, am told to lead the new seasonal people for this year if the supervisor or senior aren't there. My speciality was video games. Despite all of the responsibilities I was tasked with, out of nowhere a new "Gaming Captain" is hired who had never worked at Best Buy before. He's full-time, and has low customer service ability. I'm still part-time. Then I realize that all of the new seasonal people are being hired at $8.00 and hour, and it's time for my yearly review. I ask my supervisor about it repeatedly, he says it's going to happen soon. It was supposed to happen in October. November comes around, still no review. I can't work black Friday because I'm going to NYC with my family for Thanksgiving, and they have the gall to tell me to either cancel the trip, quit, or get fired. So I quit.

THAT'S Best Buy for you. A supervisor who gives full-time positions to brand new girls after 1 week (this happened also) and ignores long-time employees because he's a prick. But it didn't stop him from giving me a bigger work load.

My fellow employees were awesome, but the management blew ass.

mp5o
12-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Had a buddy who got hired a couple weeks ago. He quit in 2 days due to asshole like managment on the pleasant hill/85 location.

lilmanx01
12-07-2005, 12:12 PM
it has its benefits.... but in the end it depends on the other employees you will be working with and the management to decide if youll have a good time or not

psychodrama_81
12-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Target is the same way...full of shit....but oddly enough.....the more the job pays, the worse it sucks! Its not true on all occasions, but I have experienced it with jobs that pay around 10 an hour.

I still work at Gamestop...bets job ever! Only problem is the pay is horrendous, unless you are a manager, and then the pay still sucks!

But I need to find a second job, cause I cant live off $400 a month.