PDA

View Full Version : Cost of an a/c leak repair...

Killer
06-23-2009, 04:02 PM
generally what's that cost???

took it in last summer to get it recharged was told it was a leak... it was basically fall so i didn't worry about it...

but i've been absolutely dieing this summer...

it's a jeep grand cherokee...

Barefoot
06-23-2009, 04:24 PM
depends on where the leak if it just a seal or if its an actual piece. if its just a seal in a easy to get spot should cost more than a few bux in labor to fix. if its something like the evaporator u know price goes up. whatever happens your going to need a minimum of a charge $75.

just a hard call without knowing where the leak is.

Killer
06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
yeah i didn't think i could get a quote.. but was wondering if it was gonna be like 1-2-3-4 hundred bucks... money is a bit tight these days.. ya know? lol..

thanks though!!!

EP3sAreFun
06-23-2009, 04:36 PM
I had a 93 grand that lost its Charge, I added a can of sealer/oil and then a couple cans of freon.

shit was ice cold till i sold it 3 months later.

if its just an O-ring that stuff might work miracles for ya.

oh and it cost me like.... >30 bucks for the cans and a charge line?

Barefoot
06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
yeah i didn't think i could get a quote.. but was wondering if it was gonna be like 1-2-3-4 hundred bucks... money is a bit tight these days.. ya know? lol..

thanks though!!!do u know if its coming from a major ac component or 1 of the lines.
I added a can of sealer/oil and then a couple cans of freon.

thats like put in radiator sealer or something. only times good if u dont want to keep the car. an need a quick fix. other than that replace the 50 cent thats leaking. an have the system serviced properly.

Master Shake
06-23-2009, 04:47 PM
there is a dye that is made to put into the ac system. use a black light with it and in the dark. once you have put the dye in, use the black light for it to show up with the ac running and start looking for the leak.

edit, do it at night in your driveway or something. with no lights you won't see the leak with the black light.

EP3sAreFun
06-23-2009, 05:03 PM
do u know if its coming from a major ac component or 1 of the lines.thats like put in radiator sealer or something. only times good if u dont want to keep the car. an need a quick fix. other than that replace the 50 cent thats leaking. an have the system serviced properly.
sorta but no.

This stuff is a stop leak/oil for the system. Won't harm the system like the radiator stuff could.

Barefoot
06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
sorta but no.

This stuff is a stop leak/oil for the system. Won't harm the system like the radiator stuff could.i know what it is. ive been working on ac for a long time. im saying for me personally if my name is on the work im not going to use it. i would rather replace the bad seal know its replaced and working fine. then have to risk over charge the system or anything else. thats just me.

Killer
06-23-2009, 05:24 PM
i want it fixed.. i'm not gonna fix it myself since i don't know how.. and don't want to even try...

but i gotta watch the funds...

EP3sAreFun
06-23-2009, 05:39 PM
i want it fixed.. i'm not gonna fix it myself since i don't know how.. and don't want to even try...

but i gotta watch the funds...

so take it somewhere and get a quote :)

Z0_o6
06-23-2009, 07:43 PM
That's the rub with A/C diagnosis, it usually costs more time to just find the leak, rather than actually repairing it. As stated before, have the system injected with dye and go from there.

green91
06-24-2009, 09:08 PM
As already stated, have your a/c system recharged and dye injected. This should have your a/c back online. Then take it back to the shop within a month or so and they will use a special light/glasses that allows the dye to easily be seen and they can then quote you on the repair depending on whats leaking. Ive seen it be anything from schrader valves on the ports to o-rings on the expansion valve. The quote will depend entirely on whats leaking. If the evaporator has to come out.. it will be expensive. If its just an o-ring leaking on a line it may only be a few hundred bucks.

I do TONS of a/c work at a dealership. This is how I handle every a/c leak that comes in. To properly do a/c repair, you need a lot of specialty equipment.. aka not a home repair.

X-Runner
06-24-2009, 09:13 PM
PM me if you want to work out some kinda trade, we are more than willing to work out a deal.

Barefoot
06-24-2009, 09:18 PM
As already stated, have your a/c system recharged and dye injected. This should have your a/c back online. Then take it back to the shop within a month or so and they will use a special light/glasses that allows the dye to easily be seen and they can then quote you on the repair depending on whats leaking. Ive seen it be anything from schrader valves on the ports to o-rings on the expansion valve. The quote will depend entirely on whats leaking. If the evaporator has to come out.. it will be expensive. If its just an o-ring leaking on a line it may only be a few hundred bucks.

I do TONS of a/c work at a dealership. This is how I handle every a/c leak that comes in. To properly do a/c repair, you need a lot of specialty equipment.. aka not a home repair.somebody who understands. u just dont know how many a/c repairs i see at the beginning of summer from people who want to charge there system. they get the autozone charge kit and just pump away. then over fill big time break something. then bitch at me thinking im ripping them off because they have to buy a new this or that.

81911SC
06-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Do not use the stop leak, Killer.

green91
06-24-2009, 09:45 PM
With the autozone kits you have no way to actually measure the amount of freon in the system and how much you are adding. r134a systems are very particular about the amount in them to work most efficiently. Its not even as simple as reading a sight glass on a system with a leak.. you get air in the system etc. To properly fill a system you need to:

#Evacuate and store any refrigerant left in the system
#Vacuum system for atleast 15 mins, then i usually let sit for 10+ mins to watch if the system loses vaccuum (aka leak)
#Inject dye + oil
#recharge system with proper amount of freon

If your system has been open for a while too due to a leak you will probably want to replace your dryer since its most likely saturated with moisture.

green91
06-24-2009, 09:46 PM
somebody who understands. u just dont know how many a/c repairs i see at the beginning of summer from people who want to charge there system. they get the autozone charge kit and just pump away. then over fill big time break something. then bitch at me thinking im ripping them off because they have to buy a new this or that.

Reps when i can

Barefoot
06-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Reps when i canthem autozone kits are what really puts food on the table during the summer for me. well and the head gasket coolant leak shit.

4dmin
06-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I really dont know that much about Car A/C's, but just reading this thread has brought me some insight on troubleshooting techniques. Didnt know this stuff..straight.

81911SC
06-24-2009, 10:36 PM
A/C systems are not complicated but you can't really fix anything yourself like green91 said. If you take it somewhere Killer, let us know what they say.

81911SC
06-24-2009, 10:36 PM
O and don't put stop leak in anything, A/C or not.

Barefoot
06-24-2009, 10:38 PM
O and don't put stop leak in anything, A/C or not.lol that shit is like taking a a gatling gun to a fist fight. somethings about to get fucked up.

Init2winit
06-24-2009, 10:40 PM
A/C systems are not complicated but you can't really fix anything yourself like green91 said. If you take it somewhere Killer, let us know what they say.The older systems aren't. The newer stuff works off more than just a compressor cycling switch.

81911SC
06-24-2009, 10:41 PM
lol that shit is like taking a a gatling gun to a fist fight. somethings about to get fucked up.Exactly. Terrible shit.

81911SC
06-24-2009, 10:42 PM
The older systems aren't. The newer stuff works off more than just a compressor cycling switch.That doesn't make them much harder. Just a few more things to deal with. :D

Master Shake
06-25-2009, 12:15 AM

I do TONS of a/c work at a dealership. This is how I handle every a/c leak that comes in. To properly do a/c repair, you need a lot of specialty equipment.. aka not a home repair.thank you!

this is an easy and probably the simplest way to find out where the leak is coming. it will show up directly where the leak is coming from so you know exactly where the leak is at and probably what is needed to have it replaced.

it would be a lot better than taking it someplace and having them tell you some shit that isn't true. i mean, money is getting tight for everyone, so everyone is trying to make a buck when they can. and labor is what is gonna kill your wallet, not the part.

IMHO, i would locate the leak, then take it to the shop. just to eliminate any bullshit of other problems or them trying to say more is wrong then what there really is.

EP3sAreFun
06-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Exactly. Terrible shit.

I suggested the lube/seal can and recharge cause the OP doesn't wanna get his hands dirty and doesn't wanna go pay someone. So that's pretty much his only option.

81911SC
06-25-2009, 08:49 AM
I suggested the lube/seal can and recharge cause the OP doesn't wanna get his hands dirty and doesn't wanna go pay someone. So that's pretty much his only option.Until it stops up everything else. Sure that stuff will stop a small leak but think about where the rest of it goes. It could be anywhere and clog anything up.

EP3sAreFun
06-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Until it stops up everything else. Sure that stuff will stop a small leak but think about where the rest of it goes. It could be anywhere and clog anything up.
worked great for 6 months :)

81911SC
06-25-2009, 09:12 AM
worked great for 6 months :)I believe you, shoot I agree it will (for a bit). Do you still have the car?

Sammich
06-25-2009, 09:12 AM
there is a dye that is made to put into the ac system. use a black light with it and in the dark. once you have put the dye in, use the black light for it to show up with the ac running and start looking for the leak.

edit, do it at night in your driveway or something. with no lights you won't see the leak with the black light.THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING OF...

IS THE LEAK THAT BAD THAT YOUR A/C WILL BE GONE IN A COUPLE OF WKS? IF NOT I JUST SAY REJUICE IT:goodjob:

81911SC
06-25-2009, 09:14 AM
New Fords come with dye already in place only like a 1/4 oz. but you really don't even need the glasses, all you need is a blacklight but it would do much good finding it yourself unless it's just a hose or something.

EP3sAreFun
06-25-2009, 09:30 AM
I believe you, shoot I agree it will (for a bit). Do you still have the car?
nah but the guy called me a few weeks ago to tell me second gear went *shrug* said he had no other problems.

Been like a year since i sold it.... and 6 months before i sold it i did the AC refresh.

So 1.5 years and still running good. But i also knew how much to add and was careful not to overcharge the system.

Master Shake
06-25-2009, 12:19 PM
New Fords come with dye already in place only like a 1/4 oz. but you really don't even need the glasses, all you need is a blacklight but it would do much good finding it yourself unless it's just a hose or something.if the system is leaking, when the dye is added, it will show up under the black light where ever its at. so wether it be a hose or a leak in the line, you will know where its at and good reference on where to start.

81911SC
06-25-2009, 09:03 PM
if the system is leaking, when the dye is added, it will show up under the black light where ever its at. so wether it be a hose or a leak in the line, you will know where its at and good reference on where to start.Umm, duh. I'm talking about actually fixing something. Killa, won't be throwing a evap core on.

Master Shake
06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Umm, duh. I'm talking about actually fixing something. Killa, won't be throwing a evap core on.if he knows where to start, over having no clue, it will give him a better estimate of what would be needed for the fix. and probably what to expect of the costs of having it fixed.

guy i live with is a mechanic and has been for about 20 years, the shop he works at, they automatically install the dye into the system just for later references. not sure if all shops do this or not.

has there been any previous work done on the AC or is this the first?

Barefoot
06-26-2009, 11:20 AM
IF NOT I JUST SAY REJUICE IT:goodjob:at $75 (what i charge dont know about other places) a recharge whats not to economical at all. cheaper to fix the issue then only charge the system once. vs keep diding it once every few weeks or so.
the shop he works at, they automatically install the dye into the system just for later references. not sure if all shops do this or not.we do it included in our ac service package. along with a mechanical sniff.

Master Shake
06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
we do it included in our ac service package. along with a mechanical sniff.word. i'm not sure if ALL shops do it, but i know some do.

Killa, let us know what is going on and if it has been fixed or not.

Barefoot
06-26-2009, 11:42 AM
word. i'm not sure if ALL shops do it, but i know some do.not places i worked in the past charge extra to do it.

Master Shake
06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
not places i worked in the past charge extra to do it.it would seem to be a better idea to do it while recharging just to make the customer happy and keep them coming back for any other problems with their vehicle.

Barefoot
06-26-2009, 11:51 AM
it would seem to be a better idea to do it while recharging just to make the customer happy and keep them coming back for any other problems with their vehicle.thats y i do it. so now im on my own i can give a service like that for no extra charge. that an it just a lil piece of mind insurance over time.

the shops i used to work at dont really care once they got your money. an would have tried to fuck u out of whatever they could fucking service writers.

Master Shake
06-26-2009, 11:55 AM
thats y i do it. so now im on my own i can give a service like that for no extra charge. that an it just a lil piece of mind insurance over time.

the shops i used to work at dont really care once they got your money. an would have tried to fuck u out of whatever they could fucking service writers.ripping people a new asshole doesn't keep people coming back. lol.

Ziptied
06-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Depends on where the leak is. Low end around $100, high end around $1200. Hope that helps, I know its broad but it really all depends