PDA

View Full Version : Misc Automotive Sprayer???

speedminded
10-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Ok, finally getting started on the shop remodel...kinda like getting the nursery done before the baby arrives...anyways, i love the look of the black ceiling with track lighting, like you see in most sports bars...brick walls, etc.

My original plan was to roll the trusses and metal above it all black so i took a cheap can of satin black i had laying around to test out how it would look first...since i just wired up the 220 compressor a couple weeks ago and have 3 quality spray guns why not spray it with that? I just want it flat black, think i could get a gallon of trim paint from Home Depot and thin it down to use a HVLP spray gun or would it be better just to pick up a real paint sprayer?

Ugh, anyone have one of those suits i can use?

A.P. Photography
10-04-2005, 12:50 PM
I would say to see if you can find one to borrow or rent and spray it instead of trying to thin down the paint.

And post some pics so we can see how it is coming along

speedminded
10-04-2005, 12:59 PM
I would say to see if you can find one to borrow or rent and spray it instead of trying to thin down the paint.

And post some pics so we can see how it is coming alongme post pics...? lol :camera:

A.P. Photography
10-04-2005, 01:04 PM
me post pics...? lol :camera:
Yes I know it is a concept that is foreign to you but atleast try :tongue:

quickdodgeŽ
10-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes I know it is a concept that is foreign to you but atleast try :tongue:

Yeah, just like the motherfucker has never heard of Google. Later, QD.

speedminded
10-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Picked up a gallon of flat black and a gallon of mineral spirits...think i'm gonna test it out tonight.

Kevykev
10-05-2005, 06:51 PM
you have a shop?

WOOOOOOW!

chuck
10-05-2005, 09:15 PM
why not just use the cheapest primer you can find...you're not going to be touching it if its on the ceiling anyway

i hope you don't ruin the guns...i wouldn't think you can use an enamal based reducer with a latex based paint and not have problems with adhesion, blotching...but i'm not really sure what base 'trim paint' is...i paint cars, not houses, haha

they do make a specific paint called dry fall paint, it dries before it hits the ground so you can sweep up your overspray rather than either covering the whole floor with a drop cloth or paint that you'd have to remove...i think the guns they use with that are similar to HVLP; i know it puts out a fine mist and i don't think the home paint guns atomize the paint like that...might be something to look into as a plan B or C if what you got tonight ends up not working.

i've got a suit you can borrow too, wish i would have seen this before tonight

speedminded
10-06-2005, 06:34 AM
why not just use the cheapest primer you can find...you're not going to be touching it if its on the ceiling anyway

i hope you don't ruin the guns...i wouldn't think you can use an enamal based reducer with a latex based paint and not have problems with adhesion, blotching...but i'm not really sure what base 'trim paint' is...i paint cars, not houses, haha

they do make a specific paint called dry fall paint, it dries before it hits the ground so you can sweep up your overspray rather than either covering the whole floor with a drop cloth or paint that you'd have to remove...i think the guns they use with that are similar to HVLP; i know it puts out a fine mist and i don't think the home paint guns atomize the paint like that...might be something to look into as a plan B or C if what you got tonight ends up not working.

i've got a suit you can borrow too, wish i would have seen this before tonight...the trim paint is what the home depot employee showed me last time I was there but when i looked yesterday it was hi-gloss...so I picked up a gallon of flat black interior latex and it seems to be working ok but i have to get a pressure regulator.

Not worried about overspray on the floor, its going to be cleaned and etched soon...