PDA

View Full Version : Spray bed-liner Engine Bay?

speedminded
06-22-2009, 06:38 PM
It's common to do the outside of rock-crawlers and 4x4's that see constant abuse but what about engine bays? Will petroleum products break it down? There's oil inside rubber engine mounts aka hydraulic mounts sooo that doesn't make sense.

You can add pigment/paint making it any color you want. The hard durable surface can be degreased, scrubbed, pressure washed, etc. without fear of damaging the surface.

Other than weight, what would be the downside of coating the entire engine bay with a spray in bed-liner? Heat resistance? I would be using gold foil every where heat may be an issue anyways; ie. the fire wall and shock tower on the exhaust manifold side.

Explain, good or bad...

lanning
06-22-2009, 06:59 PM
i had the whole outside of my jeep done, other than fading and it running hot it was pretty cool lol

speedminded
06-22-2009, 07:16 PM
All the resources I have found say Speedliner is the way to go over Line-X or Rhino Lining.

S P E E D L I N E R
http://www.speedliner.com/

I'm thinking use Por-15 then do the Speedliner on top of that, both the under carriage and the engine bay. I'd be curious to see what the weight per square foot would be.

Z0_o6
06-22-2009, 07:21 PM
thought about it before, seems like a reasonable idea to me. I see no downside since it is a lot cheaper than all the shaving/tucking and custom paint that is so popular.

lanning
06-22-2009, 07:21 PM
my rhino liner was pretty heavy also, im sure linex or something like that wouldnt be too bad

lanning
06-22-2009, 07:24 PM
All the resources I have found say Speedliner is the way to go over Line-X or Rhino Lining.

S P E E D L I N E R
http://www.speedliner.com/

I'm thinking use Por-15 then do the Speedliner on top of that, both the under carriage and the engine bay. I'd be curious to see what the weight per square foot would be.
this seems like alot better for bays since it wont have to bake on like rhino lining