PDA

View Full Version : Weird '04 Honda Accord problem! NEED HELP!!!

Maniacc
06-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Long story short. My girlfriend's 2004 accord's transmission got stuck yesterday once put into park. This is the second time that it has happened. The last time it happened was about a month or two ago.

Lemme clear something out -- when I say stuck I mean that it's jammed in park and the rpms go up to 3k and even if you turn the car off and back on the problem is still there. What I did both times was let the car cool down a little which somehow seems to work because after 5 mins or so the problem subsides and everything is working properly. Car is a sedan, ex, automatic with 109,xxx miles on it. I'm no honda tech so any help will be greatly appreciated, and reps will also be given out.

Barefoot
06-22-2009, 08:53 AM
check that shift interlock. have they ever spilled soda water kool aid on the shifter.

Maniacc
06-22-2009, 08:53 AM
If I check it do I make sure... it's... uhh?

EDIT: Soda? Possibly. Would I have to clean the inside of it or... whaat? :( Automatic transmissions are the devil.

Barefoot
06-22-2009, 08:55 AM
check it to see if its disengaging when the brake pedal is pressed.

aaronfelipe
06-22-2009, 08:57 AM
I know this is probably not the case but some transmissions will get stuck in PARK if you park it on a hill and don't use your e-brake. If that's not the case then it could possibly be part of your current problem. Who knows.

Maniacc
06-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks.

I will as soon as she gets back from work.

aaronfelipe
06-22-2009, 08:58 AM
check it to see if its disengaging when the brake pedal is pressed.

You will hear it CLICK as soon as you lay your foot on the pedal.

Maniacc
06-22-2009, 08:59 AM
I know this is probably not the case but some transmissions will get stuck in PARK if you park it on a hill and don't use your e-brake. If that's not the case then it could possibly be part of your current problem. Who knows.
Both times that it's happened the car has been parked in a flat surface. I know what you're talking about though since my parent's house has a hill'ish type drive way and everytime my mom parks her older model accord and then tries to leave and put it in drive is makes a 'clunk' noise and is sometimes hard to get out of park.

Barefoot
06-22-2009, 09:00 AM
You will hear it CLICK as soon as you lay your foot on the pedal.thats the relay but the unit its self might not function. its popular on cobalts.

aaronfelipe
06-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Both times that it's happened the car has been parked in a flat surface. I know what you're talking about though since my parent's house has a hill'ish type drive way and everytime she parks and then tries to leave and put it in drive is makes a 'clunk' noise and is sometimes hard to get out of park.

That's because she is either NOT using her parking brake or it needs to be adjusted BAD. You are putting all of the weight of the car plus what's in it on the transmission :eek:

collins
06-22-2009, 09:02 AM
If I check it do I make sure... it's... uhh?

EDIT: Soda? Possibly. Would I have to clean the inside of it or... whaat? :( Automatic transmissions are the devil.
AND HE SEE'S THE LIGHT!!!

lol jp man. good luck with everything.

aaronfelipe
06-22-2009, 09:02 AM
thats the relay but the unit its self might not function. its popular on cobalts.

Got it,

Maniacc
06-22-2009, 09:03 AM
That's because she is either NOT using her parking brake or it needs to be adjusted BAD. You are putting all of the weight of the car plus what's in it on the transmission :eek:
Haha and my dad and I tell her all the time to drive up to the drive way, pull the hand brake up, let off the brake and then put it in park but she's kinda dumb when it comes to cars and taking care of 'em. :D

Barefoot
06-22-2009, 09:08 AM
pull the covers off and find out if everything that says shift lock is working. i think the shifter is going bad. replaced enough to know it when i see it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/partsforsale/117176626.gif

Maniacc
06-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Any idea how much a new shifter cost?

Barefoot
06-22-2009, 09:41 AM
not sure call the dealership have them look it up get a part #. search the net for the part # an im sure ull be able to 1 a new oem for dirt cheap.

Z0_o6
06-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Luckily, if you talk to the parts salesperson correctly (be an asshole, unfortunately thats usually the best way to get the point across, anybody can sell parts) they will sell you individual pieces. The shifter does NOT have to be sold as an assembly, if they tell you that (since all together it can be almost $500) inform them they are full of shit. Disassemble CAREFULLY, inspect and see what is sticking, then replace only what is necessary. It is most likely the shift interlock solenoid as Barefoot said, but from time to time the shifter trim where the gear indicator will be gummed up as well.

MidLifeCrisis
06-22-2009, 06:27 PM
WHOA! that would be extreme for an accord to need a new shifter, as it is FAR from a common problem in the accords..

More than likely it sounds like a brake switch issue, as ive replaced quite a few on 03+ accords.. in 03, honda changed the design and went to a cheapy plastic brake switch that is just plain worthless, and is reflected in teh fact that even at the dealership they are cheap, and VERY easy to replace..

Barefoot
06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
WHOA! that would be extreme for an accord to need a new shifter, as it is FAR from a common problem in the accords..

More than likely it sounds like a brake switch issue, as ive replaced quite a few on 03+ accords.. in 03, honda changed the design and went to a cheapy plastic brake switch that is just plain worthless, and is reflected in teh fact that even at the dealership they are cheap, and VERY easy to replace..ok ok do u have brake lights

MidLifeCrisis
06-22-2009, 11:18 PM
ok ok do u have brake lights

with it being so intermittent hed for sure need to monitor when the car wouldnt come out of park.. as to whether the brake lights worked during this..