PDA

View Full Version : HID kit question

X-Runner
06-21-2009, 11:20 PM
First off I want to put an HID headlight on my ATV. It can run up to two 35 watt halogen bulbs off the stator... but thats the issue, it only has a stator. No battery. Therefor the headlight gets brighter/dimmer with the throttle. An HID bulb/ballast can't take that abuse can it?

XanRules
06-21-2009, 11:25 PM
er..the Starter?
And no.
Why in the world would you want HIDs on an ATV? Total overkill.
What kind of bulbs does it take, and what brand are you using?

03RCode
06-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Headlights on a quad are straight homo.

X-Runner
06-21-2009, 11:28 PM
er..the Starter?
And no.
Why in the world would you want HIDs on an ATV? Total overkill.
What kind of bulbs does it take, and what brand are you using?

No, stator, just like I said. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stator

And because it has one headlight and gets a lot of night use?

X-Runner
06-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Headlights on a quad are straight homo.

Gets a lot of use at night, so it is needed.

XanRules
06-22-2009, 12:12 AM
in any case, no, you can't do this without a battery. You're better off buying very bright, nice bulbs. Like Osram Nightbreaker +90's, GE NightHawks, Philips VisionPlus, or even some decent HIRs.

Z0_o6
06-22-2009, 12:40 AM
I would take a look at whatever HID ballast you are considering and look specifically at the voltage range it will need to operate and go from there. If it has a fairly wide range of operable voltage, it will probably function fine, albeit the ballast and bulb's life may be decreased some. try www.ddmtuning.com or www.starrotor.com since they sell pretty affordable kits in singles. you could also go ahead and get a kit for 2 headlights so you already have a backup on hand. Ignore everyone who isn't helping simply because they feel the need to chime in without knowing the answer.

XanRules
06-22-2009, 12:40 AM
I was trying to be helpful :\

X-Runner
06-22-2009, 01:04 AM
I have looked at some kits but I can't find any info about the ballast such as that. I looked before posting the thread, do you know of any kits that have that info on the site?

Z0_o6
06-22-2009, 01:22 AM
I'll search around and see if I can find the info again, when I was looking for an HID kit for my motorcycle I came across it. I was mistaken on one of my websites, it is actually www.starrotors.com

X-Runner
06-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Looks like most are 9-16v from what I gather.

_Christian_
06-22-2009, 01:27 AM
How about some fog lights?

X-Runner
06-22-2009, 01:30 AM
It has a perfectly fine, working headlight. I want to know if an HID setup will work, thanks!

Z0_o6
06-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Looks like most are 9-16v from what I gather.

I imagine that your stator can stay pretty well within that range, you should be ok. best bet would be to hook a DMM to the output of the stator and measure voltage at idle, then rev the engine and see what it peaks at. Compare results with aforementioned range, and boom you have an answer. I would also guess that the voltage is most critical in the first few moments that the lights are on while the arc is being ignited, after that the ballast is probably pretty resilient.

X-Runner
06-22-2009, 03:11 AM
I imagine that your stator can stay pretty well within that range, you should be ok. best bet would be to hook a DMM to the output of the stator and measure voltage at idle, then rev the engine and see what it peaks at. Compare results with aforementioned range, and boom you have an answer. I would also guess that the voltage is most critical in the first few moments that the lights are on while the arc is being ignited, after that the ballast is probably pretty resilient.

Ill check it out and see what the ATV ranges from then. So you think either riding or keeping the revs up some when turning it on should be ok?

Z0_o6
06-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Most likely. Your mileage may vary ;)

Cool Cat Racing
06-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Its not that easy. You have to remember that each bulb, even a very efficient one is going to pull over 4 amps each, and 6-8 amps on start up. Most stators can't support that kind of amperage and still keep around 12 volts. If you try to run it off the stator alone it probably won't ever strike. You really need a battery or something to stabilize the voltage or the ballast won't last long. They're pretty picky and need pretty stable voltage or they'll burn up, going up and down like it will off the stator alone will only cause problems. With a battery in the system you can certainly run them.

X-Runner
06-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Hmm well a battery is to heavy and getting to expensive for my taste. Oh well.

Cool Cat Racing
06-22-2009, 08:55 PM
A decent car stereo capacitor should work too, much lighter and you can probably get one pretty cheap.

DynamicSound
06-22-2009, 09:33 PM
All you need is to buy a small lawn mower battery that is 12 volts. Then connect the HID kit directly to the battery via HID Relay. The relay will allow you to trigger from the harness. This way the battery will supply the power 100% and the harness would only supply power to the breaker in the relay to turn on or off.

FYI...O' Reilys has betteries for cheap. I bought a full sized one for like $49.

Z0_o6
06-22-2009, 10:28 PM
or if weight is the primary concern, and price isn't as much, you could look into an odyssey or braille battery, they are very light.

As with anything, you gotta pay to play.

coreyctr1980
06-22-2009, 11:09 PM
I love the hid on my 300ex helps alot at night.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/super240sx71/DSCF0119.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/super240sx71/DSCF0120.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/super240sx71/DSCF0123-1.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/super240sx71/DSCF0128.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/super240sx71/DSCF0131.jpg