PDA

View Full Version : DIY: IRQ

blaknoize
06-21-2009, 01:33 AM
WHy doesnt somebody make a thread on how to remove acid rain damage from windows? U know how valuable that would be? Huh?

I mean... 3M rubbing compound kinda worked, but I need a better solution other than replacing the windows themselves.

I requested it:D

.blank cd
06-21-2009, 01:44 AM
http://reflectionsofamirror.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/windex.jpg

sirkus
06-21-2009, 01:54 AM
http://reflectionsofamirror.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/windex.jpg
:lmfao:

That.. or a brick. The brick usually keeps all the streaks out. Crystal clear after it's used. :goodjob:

.blank cd
06-21-2009, 01:56 AM
I guess i should explain for some. Glass is chemically resistant, which means you should not have acid rain damage on your window glass. The only thing acid rain could leave on your glass is spots, which are easily removed with windex.

Typical front windshield damage is caused by rocks and dirt and sand and other debris being thrown up at the car by other vehicles. Rubbing compound can only cut so far into glass, your best solution would be replacing it

.blank cd
06-21-2009, 01:57 AM
theres you're write up

/thread

Benefit
06-21-2009, 08:52 AM
more on the brick theory

blaknoize
06-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Um no hotshot. I'll supply u a picture tomorrow of the acid rain damage. PAINT is chemically resistant, but its also damaged by acid rain as is my entire car.

VQ35 Star
06-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Paint is chemically resistant? please explain.

Ocelot
06-22-2009, 11:54 AM
your car is damaged by acid rain? do you live in a nuclear fallout zone?

Kevykev
06-22-2009, 12:31 PM
^ hahaha

I bet the damage is from well water high in mineral deposits.

speedminded
06-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Um no hotshot. I'll supply u a picture tomorrow of the acid rain damage. PAINT is chemically resistant, but its also damaged by acid rain as is my entire car.Glass can be polished just like any paint or metal. You can wet sand it, use rubbing compound on it, polish it, wax it...anything and everything.

X-Runner
06-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Tekon glass luster, hands down best you can get.

VQ35 Star
06-23-2009, 11:49 AM
I haven't tried this on glass but this works on paint, water and vinegar.

Turbodude06
06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Just buff it with some compound, thats the easiest way and u really can't mess it up, its not like paint:goodjob:.....

sirkus
06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
more on the brick theory
It will give you perfect clarity.. it can also be used as a keyless entry device. :goodjob:

speedminded
06-24-2009, 01:36 PM
It will give you perfect clarity.. it can also be used as a keyless entry device. :goodjob:"Kip that's not a tool... that's a damn brick! Kip, man we gonna use a brick, we may as well call prison and make reservations!"

sirkus
06-25-2009, 12:12 AM
"Kip that's not a tool... that's a damn brick! Kip, man we gonna use a brick, we may as well call prison and make reservations!"
That Porsche was pretty damn nice :D I love the movie.. still.
It's a universal tool. It will also stop your dumb ex's from calling. So many uses.. so few people. :ninja:

blaknoize
06-25-2009, 01:52 AM
ok, I'll add pics tomorrow... (I think) yea tomorrow before I come to GA. If someone needs PROOF meet me at the V Friday night at 9pm, I'll show u. My glass is etched, its not hard to imagine. I guess people dont know what acid rain is (i.e. VQ35) cuz the major cities of CA do have it.

Kevykev
06-25-2009, 08:33 AM
IRaQ

sirkus
06-25-2009, 11:08 AM
:lmfao: repped

IRaQ

X-Runner
06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
ok, I'll add pics tomorrow... (I think) yea tomorrow before I come to GA. If someone needs PROOF meet me at the V Friday night at 9pm, I'll show u. My glass is etched, its not hard to imagine. I guess people dont know what acid rain is (i.e. VQ35) cuz the major cities of CA do have it.

Come by my work, Ill give you something that will fix it.

VQ35 Star
06-25-2009, 11:57 AM
What did I do?

claybird
06-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Brick Theory!:lmfao:

AnthonyF
06-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Well, I didn't get 100% of it off my windows, but I used an air powered buffer with heavy coarse grit rubbing compound on my glass. Numerous times over and over. then i waxed it. SOOO shiney.

-Ant.

project_EM1
06-26-2009, 02:47 AM
i got the same problem on my em1 im using windex and some #0000 steel wool pad
works but mine are heavily damage so its taking alot of elbow grease

FasTech
06-27-2009, 04:09 PM
So, where are the pic's?

.blank cd
06-27-2009, 06:20 PM
weird. My car is 16 yrs old, original side window glass and its still cleaner than hell. I need to see this acid rain window damage

FasTech
06-28-2009, 03:07 AM
weird. My car is 16 yrs old, original side window glass and its still cleaner than hell. I need to see this acid rain window damage

Oh yeah... My car is 24 yrs old and still has all orginal windows that are super clean. lolol.

teglover101
06-30-2009, 10:17 AM
My windows have the same problem. i have heard claybaring your windows will get it off.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn94/TEGLOVER101/DSC03144-1-1.jpg

X-Runner
06-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Again, come to Norcross and Ill give you something that will take it off.

jadakid88
06-30-2009, 06:11 PM
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
:lmfao:

That.. or a brick. The brick usually keeps all the streaks out. Crystal clear after it's used. :goodjob:

blaknoize
07-01-2009, 01:20 PM
never got the pics... lol I was in GA for 3 days but forgot. If yall wish I'll add, someone just txt me and DEMAND I post a pic. 7407279306, however Anthony and a few others obviously know this to be true.

blaknoize
07-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh yeah... My car is 24 yrs old and still has all orginal windows that are super clean. lolol.

U guys and ur old ass windows

speedminded
07-01-2009, 01:58 PM
My windows have the same problem. i have heard claybaring your windows will get it off.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn94/TEGLOVER101/DSC03144-1-1.jpgAll I see is a shitty ass tint job.

.blank cd
07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Speedminded. I think that is what this whole thread boils down to is shitty tint jobs. I just don't see how rain could be doing it. In labs they hold hydrochloric acid in glass beakers and they're not even tempered. And it's a little bit stronger than acid rain.

speedminded
07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Speedminded. I think that is what this whole thread boils down to is shitty tint jobs. I just don't see how rain could be doing it. In labs they hold hydrochloric acid in glass beakers and they're not even tempered. And it's a little bit stronger than acid rain.Yeah glass is one of the most incredible things on earth. It's not even a solid! Technically it's a super cooled liquid. If you look at REALLLLYYY old buildings with leaded glass windows the glass will be thicker at the bottom than the top from gravity...

X-Runner
07-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Speedminded. I think that is what this whole thread boils down to is shitty tint jobs. I just don't see how rain could be doing it. In labs they hold hydrochloric acid in glass beakers and they're not even tempered. And it's a little bit stronger than acid rain.

Come look at my windshield (no tint) this week at the Varsity. Ill even show you this shit will not come off with glass cleaner.

speedminded
07-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Come look at my windshield (no tint) this week at the Varsity. Ill even show you this shit will not come off with glass cleaner.Should I bring sand paper, rubbing compound, polish, and wax?

X-Runner
07-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Should I bring sand paper, rubbing compound, polish, and wax?

Yeah well no shit that will fix it. But the spots are there every time it rains at work and do NOT come off with glass cleaner like you guys make it out to.

speedminded
07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah well no shit that will fix it. But the spots are there every time it rains at work and do NOT come off with glass cleaner like you guys make it out to.Until it's completely cleaned off and the glass is polished it will always come back. The rain is reacting with the junk that is stuck on the windows.

If it's really bad just get some Etch Cream from a hobby store. It's a really really mild form of hydrofluoric acid. It will take scratches and spots right off glass then you'll have to polish afterwards.

sirkus
07-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Until it's completely cleaned off and the glass is polished it will always come back. The rain is reacting with the junk that is stuck on the windows.

If it's really bad just get some Etch Cream from a hobby store. It's a really really mild form of hydrofluoric acid. It will take scratches and spots right off glass then you'll have to polish afterwards.
:goodjob: Good info!

I don't recommend the brick cleaner.. your vision gets messed up in the rain. His idea is wayyy better. :yes:

speedminded
07-01-2009, 11:47 PM
:goodjob: Good info!

I don't recommend the brick cleaner.. your vision gets messed up in the rain. His idea is wayyy better. :yes:lol! Just don't leave the glass etch cream on for more than like 15-20 seconds otherwise you'll have frosted glass haha!

It's the same stuff that is used to etch the VIN in the corner of the windows. It will take every thing right off so the glass will have to be polished just like you would a headlight. 1000-1500 wet sand, polish, then wax.

blaknoize
07-02-2009, 09:03 AM
O wow really? Is this available at Hobby Lobby or does it have a brand name so I can order it?

blaknoize
07-02-2009, 09:15 AM

You hotshot are fukin retarded. How have you never heard of acid rain damage? I dont and have never had tint on my windows and this car was purchased like this. I thought it was just dirty till its first wash.

james
07-02-2009, 12:05 PM
You hotshot are fukin retarded. How have you never heard of acid rain damage? I dont and have never had tint on my windows and this car was purchased like this. I thought it was just dirty till its first wash.

you never posted pics. that other guy that posted his - looks like a bad tint job.

on a side note, when i use clay bar for a while, or one gets damaged i use that bar for glass only. it works pretty well.

.blank cd
07-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Im definitely not retarded. Im doing research here and everything is telling me that acid rain does NOT react with (glass), that only hydroflouric acid reacts with glass, which is the etching solution speedminded was speaking of. The chemical makeup of acid rain is carbonic acid and sulfuric acid, both of which do not react with glass. All of which, DO react with paint and metals. Ive heard of PAINT damage by acid rain, but not glass. What you're seeing is not acid rain, its something something else. Id be wary of wiping my windows down with etching solution. There other things that you could be seeing. Tree sap for instance is incredibly sticky and when it hardens its hard to get off, and it looks like it etches into glass

blaknoize
07-03-2009, 08:32 AM
you never posted pics. that other guy that posted his - looks like a bad tint job.

on a side note, when i use clay bar for a while, or one gets damaged i use that bar for glass only. it works pretty well.

Havent been around a non-work computer to load pics, but at least a few know about this. Its acid rain, I dont believe anything else can cause it other than harsh chemicals that are man made.

blaknoize
07-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Im definitely not retarded. Im doing research here and everything is telling me that acid rain does NOT react with (glass), that only hydroflouric acid reacts with glass, which is the etching solution speedminded was speaking of. The chemical makeup of acid rain is carbonic acid and sulfuric acid, both of which do not react with glass. All of which, DO react with paint and metals. Ive heard of PAINT damage by acid rain, but not glass. What you're seeing is not acid rain, its something something else. Id be wary of wiping my windows down with etching solution. There other things that you could be seeing. Tree sap for instance is incredibly sticky and when it hardens its hard to get off, and it looks like it etches into glass

But also, glass is has an overwrap of plastic which is harmed by acidic rain. If this is the plastic that is effected is has cause my visibility to fall greatly.

That damage is not tree sap as the car was garaged then sat in a lot for a few months before I purchased it. Whenever this holiday weekend is over or I just have spare time away from this business laptop I'll finally post pics. Sorry for the lengthy delay.

.blank cd
07-03-2009, 09:53 AM
In laminated glass, the plastic is sandwiched between two pieces glass

blaknoize
07-03-2009, 10:10 AM
yea I'm wrong

speedminded
07-03-2009, 11:42 AM
You hotshot are fukin retarded. How have you never heard of acid rain damage? I dont and have never had tint on my windows and this car was purchased like this. I thought it was just dirty till its first wash.Clean and polish the glass properly and it will all go away. I will bet you NEW windows on it.

But also, glass is has an overwrap of plastic which is harmed by acidic rain. If this is the plastic that is effected is has cause my visibility to fall greatly.

That damage is not tree sap as the car was garaged then sat in a lot for a few months before I purchased it. Whenever this holiday weekend is over or I just have spare time away from this business laptop I'll finally post pics. Sorry for the lengthy delay.The laminate is purposely put between two layers glass so it can't be harmed.

blaknoize
07-03-2009, 12:42 PM
wait a minute. Why is my thread so large for? I simply asked for how to remedy this from my windows. Like I have to compete or something when some are actually aware of such a thing.

I'll take ur bet to speed, I'll go to UR house and WE'LL go and polish them and see what happens muthafuka

speedminded
07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
wait a minute. Why is my thread so large for? I simply asked for how to remedy this from my windows. Like I have to compete or something when some are actually aware of such a thing.

I'll take ur bet to speed, I'll go to UR house and WE'LL go and polish them and see what happens muthafukaokay! When can I expect you, in 9 hours? :D

blaknoize
07-06-2009, 10:32 AM
It takes me about 7 or less to make it to GA thank u

blaknoize
07-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I still aint got a pic, o so lazy

teglover101
07-28-2009, 09:29 PM
All I see is a shitty ass tint job.

My two front tint-LESS windows have it too.

SouthSide Tay
07-28-2009, 11:00 PM
My last honda accord had it and the only thing i came to was to replace the bastard

blaknoize
07-29-2009, 10:33 PM
ok ok, on the 3rd I'ma be down there for a WEEK. I will either meet someone to show this or post pics while in the south, unless someone can tell me when the V meet is.

VTECxRoCKz
08-19-2009, 10:05 AM
windex and a steel wool should do it

jR1_kS14
08-22-2009, 03:38 AM
i think i know what you are talking about.

is it like hard water stains on your glass, that makes it look like it has millions upon millions of spots?

i think they are hard water stains. all my glass on my 240 has it.

so far, i have used the steel wool bought at walmart to try and rub the stuff off.

at first the glass is really rough, but the steel wool will eventually scrub it away.

LOTS of manual labor though. took me almost a week to finish it. i'm still not done.