PDA

View Full Version : General Chat got my brakes done!

blacknightteg
06-20-2009, 11:46 PM
alright. so i finally got my freaking brakes done. took me all damn day, i even went a little ricer, and painted the calipers red! looks good, ill post pictures soon!

claybird
06-21-2009, 12:52 AM
sweet i bet it looks good wit red and gold

Barefoot
06-21-2009, 08:50 AM
thats great so whats your question.

blacknightteg
06-21-2009, 08:52 AM
what? i have no question?

smokeyj
06-21-2009, 08:52 AM
brakes are needed

Benefit
06-21-2009, 08:53 AM
wuts the problem here

blacknightteg
06-21-2009, 08:53 AM
lol up, i had a hell of a time getting some bolts off. on the last try before i gave up, it gave and i got it off i was freakin happy.

Barefoot
06-21-2009, 08:56 AM
what? i have no question?lol then this should be in like car talk or something.

404 THE DC4
06-21-2009, 08:56 AM
lol @ benefit and barefoot

Scotsman
06-21-2009, 08:58 AM
lol then this should be in like car talk or something.:thinking: it is......................:ninja:

blacknightteg
06-21-2009, 09:00 AM
lol thanks for moving it ho. i just put it in there cause it was a general thing. and so i could edit it if i needed too and shit like that lol.

Barefoot
06-21-2009, 09:03 AM
:thinking: it is......................:ninja:thankx for moving it.

Sir_Christopher
06-21-2009, 09:24 AM
i wanna see some picturesss

speedminded
06-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Painted stock cast aluminum calipers red? Honda brakes are bad enough now you made them hold more heat in? Then out of all the colors had to be something to make them stand out? *sigh*

teh_mugen18
06-21-2009, 01:59 PM
i wanna see some picturesss

x2

Sammich
06-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Painted stock cast aluminum calipers red? Honda brakes are bad enough now you made them hold more heat in? Then out of all the colors had to be something to make them stand out? *sigh*DONT HOLD IT AGAINST HIM...HE'S A RICER...WHAT MAKES THAT EVEN WORSE..HE'S A NOOB:ninja:

D3UC3S
06-21-2009, 03:14 PM
only painted calipers you should have are SPOON!!!

Sammich
06-21-2009, 03:16 PM
that guy would never get those, he would never use them to their full capacity

speedminded
06-21-2009, 03:52 PM
only painted calipers you should have are SPOON!!!*sigh* There's plenty of other options then fanboy products that cost 3X too much.

Z0_o6
06-21-2009, 03:57 PM
*sigh* There's plenty of other options then fanboy products that cost 3X too much.

agreed. I picked up a set of Wilwood big brakes for the front of my '97 civic hatch for $400 (albeit they were used) 13" rotors, 4-piston calipers, and stainless steel lines came with them!

D3UC3S
06-21-2009, 04:28 PM
*sigh* There's plenty of other options then fanboy products that cost 3X too much.

*sigh* you get what you pay for

mocha latte cupcake
06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
you're welcome davison, glad to see you didn't die.

RL...
06-21-2009, 08:59 PM
yay I will be installing my BBK soon...hopefully....I can't wait

Barefoot
06-21-2009, 10:49 PM
*sigh* you get what you pay forlol if u think spoon is the best there is u know shit.

Z0_o6
06-22-2009, 12:52 AM
lol if u think spoon is the best there is u know shit.

agreed. Spoon is definitely not bad, however for the money there are much better setups out there.

speedminded
06-22-2009, 12:43 PM
I'll challenge Spoon a R&D competition against my old brake setup. 19 more sets where that came from lol! Overall price, performance, maintenance, weight, and pad cost...

D3UC3S
06-22-2009, 04:58 PM
lol if u think spoon is the best there is u know shit.

never said that...spoon isn't the most expensive either...just merely saying that you get what you pay for.

lol :rolleyes: ya, i don't know shit....now THAT is something to laugh at

Z0_o6
06-22-2009, 06:12 PM
You gotta be willing to admit you don't know everything before EVER proving you know anything.

speedminded
06-22-2009, 06:24 PM
never said that...spoon isn't the most expensive either...just merely saying that you get what you pay for.

lol :rolleyes: ya, i don't know shit....now THAT is something to laugh atWhy would you quote what he said then proceed to take it out of context?

RL...
06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Why would you quote what he said then proceed to take it out of context?

because he is an idiot

D3UC3S
06-23-2009, 02:01 PM
because he is an idiot

AAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA....AAHAHAHAHAHA Coming from the king of retard wannabe's. Hows your big brake kit coming along:rolleyes: Thats great.

I don't know everything...I have alot to learn. Originally i posted an opinion that i think that the spoons "look" the best out of the painted calipers.(only b/c most other aftermarket calipers are black i.e. Baer, Rotora, etc)That is all. Then you guys acted like i cared how much they cost...that was never an issue but you guys took it there.

"you get what you pay for" is more a hit to painting stock calipers. maybe i should have made myself more clear. sry for the confusion. LOL

RL...
06-23-2009, 02:08 PM
AAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA....AAHAHAHAHAHA Coming from the king of retard wannabe's. Hows your big brake kit coming along:rolleyes: Thats great.

I don't know everything...I have alot to learn. Originally i posted an opinion that i think that the spoons "look" the best out of the painted calipers.(only b/c most other aftermarket calipers are black i.e. Baer, Rotora, etc)That is all. Then you guys acted like i cared how much they cost...that was never an issue but you guys took it there.

"you get what you pay for" is more a hit to painting stock calipers. maybe i should have made myself more clear. sry for the confusion. LOL

My BBK came along great, just finished yesterday and everything went smoothly. My car now brakes 8937529875 times better thanks for asking.

speedminded
06-23-2009, 02:14 PM

"you get what you pay for" is more a hit to painting stock calipers. maybe i should have made myself more clear. sry for the confusion. LOLWhat aftermarket calipers do you know about that aren't anodized or painted? The top 3 that I'm thinking about all are...along with your Spoons. That's where I was coming from.

My BBK came along great, just finished yesterday and everything went smoothly. My car now breaks 8937529875 times better thanks for asking.It's not about braking better. You can brake better with a better set of pads. It's how much abuse the braking system can withhold and for how long before the pads get glazed and/or rotors warped. How good your brakes work depend on the tires otherwise bigger isn't always better.

bigdare23
06-23-2009, 02:25 PM
BRAKE WARS!!!

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165276

LOL

I'm in the process of waiting for a new set of rotors to get redrilled and I'm adding hawk pads to the mix.

Z0_o6
06-23-2009, 02:27 PM
It's not about braking better. You can brake better with a better set of pads. It's how much abuse the braking system can withhold and for how long before the pads get glazed and/or rotors warped. How good your brakes work depend on the tires otherwise bigger isn't always better.

You are correct, however he was saying how well his car BREAKS.

RL...
06-23-2009, 03:38 PM
It's not about braking better. You can brake better with a better set of pads. It's how much abuse the braking system can withhold and for how long before the pads get glazed and/or rotors warped. How good your brakes work depend on the tires otherwise bigger isn't always better.

1) Me upgrading my brakes WAS about braking better. And of course you can brake better by simply adding pads, but I can brake a lot better by adding bigger calipers with bigger pistons with bigger rotors being squeezed by bigger pads right? exactly...

2) How good the brakes work depends on tires a lot, true. Everyone knows that. It also depends on the brakes...lol

D3UC3S
06-23-2009, 03:43 PM
1) Me upgrading my brakes WAS about braking better. And of course you can brake better by simply adding pads, but I can brake a lot better by adding bigger calipers with bigger pistons with bigger rotors being squeezed by bigger pads right? exactly...

2) How good the brakes work depends on tires a lot, true. Everyone knows that. It also depends on the brakes...lol

Yes you are correct, but its kinda overkill and a "waste of money" just like spoon calipers, if you arent making WAY over stock power......

BTW u do have nice brakes tho

Z0_o6
06-23-2009, 09:51 PM

you need to understand that the brakes you took off the car were capable of locking up the tires, meaning they were able of providing more brake torque than the tires can actually make use of. THEREFORE, the big brake kit does exactly what speedminded said, resists fade, and dissapates heat better. it does not "brake better"

speedminded
06-23-2009, 10:36 PM

2) How good the brakes work depends on tires a lot, true. Everyone knows that. It also depends on the brakes...lolHate to tell everyone that bigger brakes DO NOT brake better, period. it's all in your head. I've seen countless times where people have said the car braked better when they put on slotted/drilled rotors, etc. Do you know want to know the real secret to the better braking? I bet you changed that nasty ass brake fluid when you put your new brakes on didn't you? There's your secret ;)

Yes you are correct, but its kinda overkill and a "waste of money" just like spoon calipers, if you arent making WAY over stock power......

BTW u do have nice brakes thoYou just proved you know nothing about a cars braking system. :doh:

you need to understand that the brakes you took off the car were capable of locking up the tires, meaning they were able of providing more brake torque than the tires can actually make use of. THEREFORE, the big brake kit does exactly what speedminded said, resists fade, and dissapates heat better. it does not "brake better"Bingo.

D3UC3S
06-24-2009, 08:36 AM
You just proved you know nothing about a cars braking system. :doh:

How so..

RL...
06-24-2009, 09:21 AM
you need to understand that the brakes you took off the car were capable of locking up the tires, meaning they were able of providing more brake torque than the tires can actually make use of. THEREFORE, the big brake kit does exactly what speedminded said, resists fade, and dissapates heat better. it does not "brake better"

You need to understand that my car also does not have the stock 16's it came from factory with. Ever since I put my new and HEAVY 18's on my braking has dramatically decreased. WHen you increase unsprung weight acceleration and braking decrease. But now with my new setup, my car is capable of locking up the wheels...I tested it yesterday :D So yes you are now right that my brake can apply more braking torque that my tires can handle.

But my car still brakes better. If I would've braked my car last week from 60-0 it would've taken like 11 seconds(rough estimate) and say x amount of feet, now I guarantee it I would brake from 60-0 SUBSTANTIALLY faster as well as in a shorter distance. I call that braking better...

RL...
06-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Hate to tell everyone that bigger brakes DO NOT brake better, period. it's all in your head. I've seen countless times where people have said the car braked better when they put on slotted/drilled rotors, etc. Do you know want to know the real secret to the better braking? I bet you changed that nasty ass brake fluid when you put your new brakes on didn't you? There's your secret ;)

1) Slotted/cross drilled rortors should not be on cars for street driven appllications...a smooth rotor would be better.

2) Of course I bled my brakes. ButI also bled my brakes about 3 months ago when I had to install a new RR brake caliper(piston froze). And a year before that replaced the LR brake caliper and bled the brakes as well. And changing the fluid did not make a difference, especially since all the fluids in my car are constantly mantained. So no, changing the brake fluid is not the reason why my car now brakes better. I also used the same brake fluid too, so that variable has stayed the same. The only variable that has changed in this last week are the newer calipers, rotors, and pads. So it must be logically assumed that the reason for better braking should be attributed to this and only this. Not tires. Not brake fluid. Not korea testing nuclear bombs. k pumpkin?

speedminded
06-24-2009, 11:27 AM
How so..By agreeing that bigger brakes stop better and insinuating the only reason to need bigger brakes is when you have more power.

You need to understand that my car also does not have the stock 16's it came from factory with. Ever since I put my new and HEAVY 18's on my braking has dramatically decreased. WHen you increase unsprung weight acceleration and braking decrease. But now with my new setup, my car is capable of locking up the wheels...I tested it yesterday :D So yes you are now right that my brake can apply more braking torque that my tires can handle.

But my car still brakes better. If I would've braked my car last week from 60-0 it would've taken like 11 seconds(rough estimate) and say x amount of feet, now I guarantee it I would brake from 60-0 SUBSTANTIALLY faster as well as in a shorter distance. I call that braking better...Acceleration and braking decrease whenever weight is added anywhere. The reason larger wheels produce less power on a dyno is because it's adding weight and stress to the drive train. If your new wheels weigh a total of 100lbs more than the old ones you could add that same weight to the drive shaft or axles and have the same effect heavier wheels would.

1) Slotted/cross drilled rortors should not be on cars for street driven appllications...a smooth rotor would be better.

2) Of course I bled my brakes. ButI also bled my brakes about 3 months ago when I had to install a new RR brake caliper(piston froze). And a year before that replaced the LR brake caliper and bled the brakes as well. And changing the fluid did not make a difference, especially since all the fluids in my car are constantly mantained. So no, changing the brake fluid is not the reason why my car now brakes better. I also used the same brake fluid too, so that variable has stayed the same. The only variable that has changed in this last week are the newer calipers, rotors, and pads. So it must be logically assumed that the reason for better braking should be attributed to this and only this. Not tires. Not brake fluid. Not korea testing nuclear bombs. k pumpkin?1) Cross drilled should never be used on a track, that's why they are illegal by sanctioned race bodies and should be banned from track days as well. You're right blank rotors are more than sufficient for the street.
2)You constantly change your brake fluid? How long has the fluid been in there before you this last change?

RL...
06-24-2009, 03:17 PM
By agreeing that bigger brakes stop better and insinuating the only reason to need bigger brakes is when you have more power.

Acceleration and braking decrease whenever weight is added anywhere. The reason larger wheels produce less power on a dyno is because it's adding weight and stress to the drive train. If your new wheels weigh a total of 100lbs more than the old ones you could add that same weight to the drive shaft or axles and have the same effect heavier wheels would.

1) Cross drilled should never be used on a track, that's why they are illegal by sanctioned race bodies and should be banned from track days as well. You're right blank rotors are more than sufficient for the street.
2)You constantly change your brake fluid? How long has the fluid been in there before you this last change?

I'm not some freak that just likes to change my brake fluid every few months...lol It just happens by chance. When my RR caliper froze I replaced it and of course needed to bleed brakes. Same when I replaced the LR caliper(I replaced it because I got the caliper for $40 new so might as well). And same for a few days ago when I upgraded. Fluid has not sat in my master cylinder for more than like 1 year before getting changed to new fluid. But seeing as how almost my WHOLE braking system is BRAND new lol, I shouldn't have to touch anything with my brakes in a while.

All calipers are new, all pads are new, all rotors are new, all lines are SS braided and new, all hardware such as bolts/guidpins/shims are new...lol

speedminded
06-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm not some freak that just likes to change my brake fluid every few months...lol It just happens by chance. When my RR caliper froze I replaced it and of course needed to bleed brakes. Same when I replaced the LR caliper(I replaced it because I got the caliper for $40 new so might as well). And same for a few days ago when I upgraded. Fluid has not sat in my master cylinder for more than like 1 year before getting changed to new fluid. But seeing as how almost my WHOLE braking system is BRAND new lol, I shouldn't have to touch anything with my brakes in a while.

All calipers are new, all pads are new, all rotors are new, all lines are SS braided and new, all hardware such as bolts/guidpins/shims are new...lolSo you just put in the stainless steel brake lines too?

RL...
06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
So you just put in the stainless steel brake lines too?

Nope, I did that like 10 months ago...

D3UC3S
06-24-2009, 04:06 PM
By agreeing that bigger brakes stop better and insinuating the only reason to need bigger brakes is when you have more power.

i guess....i hope all that work i did to my brakes, my wifes old mercedes, and countless other friends doesn't come back to haunt me since i don't know anything about brakes....LOL

You are entitled to your opinion. However misguided it may be. :kiss:

RL...
06-24-2009, 04:15 PM
/threadjack

speedminded
06-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Nope, I did that like 10 months ago......and the pads the exact same compound?