PDA

View Full Version : Kill story: Porsche 911 turbo vs Porsche GT3

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Technically this is a kill story with a video for proof, so...

Both Porsches run low 12s @ 116mph +/- stock; basically identical times and trap speeds.

Round 1 - 60 mph roll or so. GT3 gets the jump, but the turbo reels him in.
Round 2 - 70 mph roll - turbo all the way.
Round 3 - 45 mph roll - turbo still pulls

Specs (stock):
* '01 911 turbo - 415hp/415tq - AWD - 3395 lbs
* '04 GT3 - 381hp/280tq - RWD - 3048 lbs

Mods:
* turbo - exhaust (add in heavy, 19" wheels that hurt acceleration)
* gt3 - intake

Direct link:
http://x500.putfile.com/videos/27519012024.wmv - 7.6MB

Putfile page link if the above does not work:
Click here - turbo vs gt3 (http://media.putfile.com/turbovsgt3)

Enjoy!

PhAtBoYMr2
10-04-2005, 09:05 AM
so basiclly a gt3 is a beefed up carrera and a gt2 is a beefed up turbo version? Gt3's are non-turbo right? fill me in

nice kill

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 09:14 AM
so basiclly a gt3 is a beefed up carrera and a gt2 is a beefed up turbo version? Gt3's are non-turbo right? fill me in

Eh, sorta like that...

GT3 = RWD, N/A, high revving, high horsepower, track car
GT2 = RWD, twin turbo, K-24 turbos, more of a track car (suspension wise)
turbo = AWD, twin turbos, K-16 (stock) or K-24 turbos (x50 package), more of a cruiser in terms of suspension

PhAtBoYMr2
10-04-2005, 12:33 PM
ahhhh i c. so the gt3 had the advantage being rwd. For some reason i thought that the gt3 and gt2 were awd. And the only thing that chaged was the suspension and brakes comapred to the turbo and carrerra. Thanks for the clear up.

My buddy told me that the porshe dealership near northpoint had a carrerra gt, ive seen a silver one riding around, maybe ill go up there to see if i can get the keys for a test drive. :D

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 01:09 PM
ahhhh i c. so the gt3 had the advantage being rwd. For some reason i thought that the gt3 and gt2 were awd. And the only thing that chaged was the suspension and brakes comapred to the turbo and carrerra. Thanks for the clear up.

More or less, yes. No AWD for the GT2, so they dropped the front diff. They reduced weight on the GT2/3 through various means: no rear seats, lighter wheels/brakes/no spare/etc.

My buddy told me that the porshe dealership near northpoint had a carrerra gt, ive seen a silver one riding around, maybe ill go up there to see if i can get the keys for a test drive. :D

Yes, there is one up there at Hennessy Porsche. However, getting a test drive in it is probably not going to happen unless you have proof of your income and/or seriousness on buying this vehicle.

Cliff
10-04-2005, 04:20 PM
i passed the Silver carrera gt about 6 months ago up in alpharetta

Tracer
10-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Man, I wish I could run with some of you

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Man, I wish I could run with some of you

What do you mean?

Tracer
10-04-2005, 05:20 PM
I never get the chance to race these high end cars

tony
10-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Ruiner, how often do you AutoX? Great video by the way

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Ruiner, how often do you AutoX? Great video by the way

Thanks. Never AutoX'd in this car. Once you taste something like Road Atlanta or any other circuit track, you will have a hard time ever going back to cones in a parking lot. :)

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 05:30 PM
I never get the chance to race these high end cars

Gotcha. Why these cars, though? There are much faster cars out there (built 'stangs, Supras, and camaros for example...).

tony
10-04-2005, 05:30 PM
I was just looking through the auto trader and came upon this ad.. I was like Ruiner isnt selling his car is he????

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpage=thumb&car_id=187300395&dealer_id=56734531&car_year=2001&model=911TURBO&bkms=1128464599879&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1998&certified=&search_type=both&distance=25&make=POR&min_price=&address=30135&advanced=&end_year=2003&max_price=&cardist=21#vdptop

Tracer
10-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Gotcha. Why these cars, though? There are much faster cars out there (built 'stangs, Supras, and camaros for example...).

I don't care what type of cars....I'm just getting tired of racing old men in BMW's....

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 05:32 PM
I was just looking through the auto trader and came upon this ad.. I was like Ruiner isnt selling his car is he????

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpage=thumb&car_id=187300395&dealer_id=56734531&car_year=2001&model=911TURBO&bkms=1128464599879&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1998&certified=&search_type=both&distance=25&make=POR&min_price=&address=30135&advanced=&end_year=2003&max_price=&cardist=21#vdptop

Gemballa wheels. I like my HREs better. ;) Actually, I know "of" this car, but have never met the owner.

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't care what type of cars....I'm just getting tired of racing old men in BMW's....

Here is the problem: Most "kids" or younger people cannot afford the higher end cars and of those that do have them, most do not race. The older people who do own these cars rarely race as well. There are always exceptions, but you get the idea. The more that the car costs, the less the chance that the driver will "race" on city/state roads. I very rarely do it, myself. We just happened be be leaving Petit Le Mans and messed around a few times. That's about it, really.

Tracer
10-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Oh ok....I was just messing around. The video was great......looked like alot of fun.

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Oh ok....I was just messing around. The video was great......looked like alot of fun.

Kidding? I'm not following. I was just letting you know what to expect if you run across cars like this. 9 times out of 10, they won't race. Thanks for the compliments, though.

Tracer
10-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Yeah I know most of though expensive cars won't even race me. I tired to race a Lambo once and the guy wouldn't even look at me or anything....I was so disappointed. How many people can say they raced a car like that before....?

Cliff
10-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Brandon can...darn him my favorite race was the one where you passed me in the vr-4 goin against a saleen sc281 and the cop pulled you over for riding beside each other and he suspected you were racing but he had no proof....

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Yeah I know most of though expensive cars won't even race me. I tired to race a Lambo once and the guy wouldn't even look at me or anything....I was so disappointed. How many people can say they raced a car like that before....?

I got to play around with my friend's '01 Diablo VT. I pulled on him from 40-130mph, but when he shifted to 4th @ 130mph, he started to pull away from me. Then there is my buddy's '96 F355 F1. Wasn't pretty for him. Then there is that 550 Maranello on I75 North... Or perhaps that 360 Modena Coupe on Peachtree Rd or the 360 Modena Spider on Buford highway... Then there was that race with my friend Brian in his Viper RT/10 or that race with Kyle in his Viper GTS. There are more, now that I think about them all over the years...

Come to think of it, I usually luck into getting to mess around with a lot of really nice cars. Hmmm, interesting...

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Brandon can...darn him my favorite race was the one where you passed me in the vr-4 goin against a saleen sc281 and the cop pulled you over for riding beside each other and he suspected you were racing but he had no proof....

Yeah, but I whipped his ass! :) Ahh, those were the days...

Tracer
10-04-2005, 05:56 PM
I got to play around with my friend's '01 Diablo VT. I pulled on him from 40-130mph, but when he shifted to 4th @ 130mph, he started to pull away from me. Then there is my buddy's '96 F355 F1. Wasn't pretty for him. Then there is that 550 Maranello on I75 North... Or perhaps that 360 Modena Coupe on Peachtree Rd or the 360 Modena Spider on Buford highway... Then there was that race with my friend Brian in his Viper RT/10 or that race with Kyle in his Viper GTS. There are more, now that I think about them all over the years...

Come to think of it, I usually luck into getting to mess around with a lot of really nice cars. Hmmm, interesting...

I think I need to hang out with you on the weekends......NOT FAIR :)

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 05:57 PM

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

It's about being at the right place at the right time. :goodjob:

tony
10-04-2005, 05:59 PM

lol seriously.. I never get to even SEE those kind of cars on the road let alone do a short pull. So far the only one that would take the bait was a Carrera 4S

Cliff
10-04-2005, 06:03 PM
brandon you used to name off the guys you'd hang out with and what they drive and it's like wtf an exotic car show wherever you go...i want brian to get the tt v8 he wants cause that would be an awesome race....

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 06:08 PM
brandon you used to name off the guys you'd hang out with and what they drive and it's like wtf an exotic car show wherever you go...i want brian to get the tt v8 he wants cause that would be an awesome race....

Yeah, I still know some of those guys. Vettes, Vipers, Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborghinis, etc. We still hang out every once and a while and whatnot.

Cliff
10-04-2005, 06:13 PM
that's cool..i still hang out with my friends...you know civics, integras, cavaliers, probes, altimas, pathfinders, etc.

SilviaK93
10-04-2005, 07:07 PM

So sad how all those cars will run a Porsche TT, but wont play around with alittle ole vette. Man----they must not mind getting walked by a 6 figure car, but no way in hell they wanna get walked by a $50k car.....mwuhahahahaha

I have rolled up along 996TT's, 360 Modena, Gallardo, Viper GTS etc and only one 996TT has taken the bait. The other's just look over with a haha you cant afford this look, and others wont even make eye contact.

The funniest one was the 98-99 Viper RT/10(yellow). I had Pablo in the car with me and he had the top down with an amazing looking female in the car. We rolled up next to him and gave a little white smoke. The look on his face was so priceless, and then his girlfriend looked over with a OMG WTF look. HAHAHA needless to say he didnt want known!:D

v10sloboy
10-04-2005, 07:22 PM
I want some of the vette. Im in a viper too!

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 07:32 PM
So sad how all those cars will run a Porsche TT, but wont play around with alittle ole vette. Man----they must not mind getting walked by a 6 figure car, but no way in hell they wanna get walked by a $50k car.....mwuhahahahaha

I have rolled up along 996TT's, 360 Modena, Gallardo, Viper GTS etc and only one 996TT has taken the bait. The other's just look over with a haha you cant afford this look, and others wont even make eye contact.

Actually, these cars run me because I know them. Very rarely is it a "stranger" on the town. However, why bring money into the equation, Marshall? I've been walked by cars that cost 1/10th as much as mine. Does it hurt my pride? No. It isn't just about the power and you know this. That isn't why most people by cars like that. There is more to an exotic car than that. Do you really think that their reasoning is because of the cost of the car running against them? Don't confuse the "you can't afford this look" with the "It's not worth risking going to jail" look.

v10sloboy
10-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Actually, these cars run me because I know them. Very rarely is it a "stranger" on the town. However, why bring money into the equation, Marshall? I've been walked by cars that cost 1/10th as much as mine. Does it hurt my pride? No. It isn't just about the power and you know this. That isn't why most people by cars like that. There is more to an exotic car than that. Do you really think that their reasoning is because of the cost of the car running against them? Don't confuse the "you can't afford this look" with the "It's not worth risking going to jail" look.
Well said

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Well said

If I lose, I lose. I really couldn't care less how much or little the car that runs me costs. Anything can be made fast with enough money. Some cars are easier to make fast with less money of course, but you get the idea. If a civic or some other car pulls up next to me, I might punch the gas once or twice just for fun, but that's rare and quick. Usually that is because they do it first. If not, it's not because I am "stuck up" and look down on the car. It's because I don't think that the risk (ticket/jail) is worth the reward (saying I pulled a car, no matter what car it is). There is always someone faster...

mogallo
10-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Brandon, so what happened when you and Brian raced? We all need to meet up and go for a cruise one day.....

Pablo
10-04-2005, 10:09 PM
The funniest one was the 98-99 Viper RT/10(yellow). I had Pablo in the car with me and he had the top down with an amazing looking female in the car. We rolled up next to him and gave a little white smoke. The look on his face was so priceless, and then his girlfriend looked over with a OMG WTF look. HAHAHA needless to say he didnt want known!:D
I remember that. He was a super cool guy that new that if he jumped it, we would walk him. Well, he decided to jump and he ended up giving us a thumbs up at the end.

Not all of the high rollers are like that guy. Few and far between.

Ruiner
10-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Brandon, so what happened when you and Brian raced? We all need to meet up and go for a cruise one day.....

He was bone stock (gears, exhaust, etc). It wasn't pretty for him at all.

SilviaK93
10-05-2005, 11:49 AM

Now Brandon....you know there are THOSE people with high end exotic cars that have the perception of, "you cant afford this car." I have seen it time and time again. Perfect example would be a car show I was at along with Brett (IA). A Ferrari owner walked up to him and his car during the show and said, "Isn't it funny how my daily driver is your show car and my show car is a Ferrari." He then turned away and walked off. Now give me the reasoning behind that? The guy was a pure d*ck and there was no reason for it, but to rub in someone elses face- you cant afford what I can!

Of course I am not saying ALL exotic owners are this way. Not one bit, BUT a vast majority of them are if you are not riding in an exotic next to them. You see the nicer side of some as you too are rolling a $100k car. For someone in a lesser car might not get the time of day. It is a fact!

I was not trying to bring money into the equation and yes anything can be made fast. My Nissan was faster than my Z and cost half of what the Z cost new. Remember I have been on both sides as well as you, VR4/996TT. That's why the guy with the 360 Modena at Jeffries wouldnt play with me on a quick hwy pull. He was all up to run something and show how fast his mighty Ferrari was, but once he saw and heard about what I drove- Nissan- he played the whole it's not worth it card, there are to many cops, :blah:- funny he didnt mention any of that prior. :thinking:

I own a car now that is partly classified as an exotic- at least ranked with them. BUT yet I will still hang out in a parking lot and shoot the $hit with the same crews I did before. You do the same, BUT tell me how many times do you see a 360, Gallardo, 996TT owner do that???? People with those cars for the MOST PART will only hang with those with the same/similar status car. Tell me if I am lying?

Even vette guys. I have been to some vette shows and they wont give me time of day if I ask about their car. As soon as I tell them I have a Z06 then they will start talking to me as if I exist.

You and I have known each other for some time, and you know how I am for the most part. What I speak of is what I have experienced and have seen. I have nothing against honda owners and nothing against the guy that can afford a $200k Gallardo that I CAN'T! BUT I do have an issue with the Gallardo owner who thinks they are BETTER than me just b/c they can afford that kindof car.

Sorry to get so off topic- great kill on that GT3. I saved the vid for future viewing. :goodjob:

Ruiner
10-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Now Brandon....you know there are THOSE people with high end exotic cars that have the perception of, "you cant afford this car." I have seen it time and time again. Perfect example would be a car show I was at along with Brett (IA). A Ferrari owner walked up to him and his car during the show and said, "Isn't it funny how my daily driver is your show car and my show car is a Ferrari." He then turned away and walked off. Now give me the reasoning behind that? The guy was a pure d*ck and there was no reason for it, but to rub in someone elses face- you cant afford what I can!

Sorry to get so off topic- great kill on that GT3. I saved the vid for future viewing. :goodjob:

See, now THAT is an asshole. I have really yet to run across someone like that, so perhaps that's why my perception is skewed. That's fucked up, honestly. I'm sorry that it happened. It gives exotic owners a bad name and rightfully so. Thanks for the response, though. It now makes more sense as to why you said what you said. :)

:goodjob:

Tracer
10-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I wonder if that Z06 could take me? LoL

tony
10-05-2005, 03:44 PM

I'll put my money on you :D

iloveboost
10-05-2005, 04:45 PM
I'd put my $ on Jason, too. lol

Tracer
10-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys..but I think it might be close if I was going in reverse....LoL j/k

SilviaK93
10-05-2005, 05:45 PM

Let's line'em up!?

Tracer
10-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Line 'em up for a tank of gas? Gwinnett is far from the boonies...lol

SilviaK93
10-05-2005, 05:52 PM

$10 bucks a race?

Pablo
10-05-2005, 06:29 PM
I am sure that he would meet you wherever!

Tracer
10-05-2005, 08:00 PM
$10 bucks a race?

Do you know what you're up against?

v10sloboy
10-05-2005, 08:09 PM
How about a slo rt10

mogallo
10-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Yeah that would be a fun race.... when and where????

SilviaK93
10-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Do you know what you're up against?

Yep...... If the weather is good I will meet you this weekend?

I think it is irrelevant for you to ask the above question. This thread had nothing to do with you and I racing, BUT you out of the blue said jokingly "I wonder if that Z06 could take me-lol."

I simply said let's line'em up.

Dont know what is so hard about that and still dont understand why you seem to come off as an a$$hole basically calling me out. OK you called me out and I am accepting.

You ask if I know what I am up against- what are driving an F-16? You drive a car with four wheels as I do, so yes I know what I am up against.

Sorry Ruiner to jack your thread.

Tracer
10-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Yep...... If the weather is good I will meet you this weekend?

I think it is irrelevant for you to ask the above question. This thread had nothing to do with you and I racing, BUT you out of the blue said jokingly "I wonder if that Z06 could take me-lol."

I simply said let's line'em up.

Dont know what is so hard about that and still dont understand why you seem to come off as an a$$hole basically calling me out. OK you called me out and I am accepting.

You ask if I know what I am up against- what are driving an F-16? You drive a car with four wheels as I do, so yes I know what I am up against.

Man, you need to calm down alittle. You must have forgot who I am......I met you at the SeLoc car show. I was just messing with you. Guess everyone here thinks its cool to do that. I didn't mean anything personal towards you. If you took it that way......sorry.

mogallo
10-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Bitch shut up and race!!!!!!!!!!!!! mwhahahahaha :D

lemansz
10-05-2005, 10:28 PM
hmmmmmmm Sty vs Zoh

might get good

SilviaK93
10-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Man, you need to calm down alittle. You must have forgot who I am......I met you at the SeLoc car show. I was just messing with you. Guess everyone here thinks its cool to do that. I didn't mean anything personal towards you. If you took it that way......sorry.

No I dont remember who you are, but I do recall your car, engine, and you driving away from the BG trailer right in front of me. Your original post was a$$hole like, and then was followed by, "maybe a good race in reverse-lol." Of course you can see how that would be taken personally- seeing as I dont truely know you as I would Pablo, Val, Tracy, etc.

I see and meet so many people everyday I would have to meet you a couple of times to really remember.

Apology accepted.:)

Tracer
10-05-2005, 10:36 PM
I just thought you'd laugh at a comment like that.....the whole Reverse thing. Cause people on this forum doing the call outs......talk alot of shit and I thought it would be funny to put that. Trust me...you can ask anyone that knows me.....I'm not an asshole at all. :)

Ruiner
10-05-2005, 10:41 PM

Eh, it's okay. The video link is in the first post anyway and that is what is important. Have a ball with this thread, I don't mind at all. :)

tony
10-05-2005, 10:47 PM
I am sure that he would meet you wherever!

so does this mean you guys will come out to the west side for once???? it'd be nice to not have to make that long ass drive over there

lemansz
10-05-2005, 11:17 PM
race...

yes?

no?

Speedm0(\)key
10-06-2005, 12:00 AM
man.. FUCK THE WESTSIDEEEE!!!! cops seem crazier over there

Pablo
10-06-2005, 08:38 AM
so does this mean you guys will come out to the west side for once???? it'd be nice to not have to make that long ass drive over there
lets see how the weather turns out for the next few days......