PDA

View Full Version : Misc Jesus what was his name?

4dmin
10-04-2005, 08:06 AM
I was speaking to a friend of mine who is a Jew and he was explaining to me that many jews do not believe Jesus was truely his name, that it states in some part of the bible that "He was named Jesus... or he became Jesus"... i'll have to find this exact quote.

What do you guys think of this?

Killer
10-04-2005, 08:29 AM
It clearly states in the Bible that an angel appeared to Mary and told her to name her son Jesus.... i don't remember what verse... and if i'm not mistaken the Book is Luke. (i need to start bringing my bible to work... lol) but if u can find where it states other wise i'd like to see it... or maybe just refer me to which verses your friend was talking about.

4dmin
10-04-2005, 09:01 AM
^ i'll have to find out where exactly he was speaking but it is supposed to be talking about after he was crucified he was named Jesus.

ironchef
10-04-2005, 09:25 AM
We went through pretty much the story of the jews, jesus, and rise of christianity yesterday in history class, and there was no mention of him having another name.

P.S. this is a college class btw, not some watered down High school class, just incase anyone was wondering.

4dmin
10-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeshua is the original Aramaic proper name for Jesus the Nazarene, who lived from about 6 B.C.E. to 27 C.E. (A.D.) The word "Jesus" is actually a mis-transliteration of a Greek mis-transliteration. The Emperor Constatine even mistook Jesus for Apollo, the son of the Greek god Zeus. In Hebrew Yeshua means Salvation while the name Jesus has no intrinsic meaning in English whatsoever.

Yeshua Ben Yosef

It is most proper to call Him Yeshua. It was indeed his proper name, given to him by his parents, and only in Hebrew does this name have any meaning. In Hebrew Yeshua means both "Salvation," and the concatenated form of Yahoshua, is "Lord who is Salvation." The name Jesus has no intrinsic meaning in English whatsoever.

There are many Yeshuas that we read about in Biblical text and many are confused with the Yeshua who would later become the "Christ". The name Yeshua appears 29 times in the Tanach. Yehoshua (Joshua) of Nun is called Yeshua in Nechemyah (Nehemiah) 8:17. Yeshua is the name of the Cohain HaGadol (the high priest) in the time of Zerubavel in Ezra 3:2. It is the name of a Levite under King Hizkiyah (Hezekiah) in 2 Chronicles 31:15. There is even a city called Yeshua in the negev of Yehudah in Nechemyah11:26. Yeshua is also a shortened version of the word Yehoshua much like Bill is for William.

There are 7 other Yeshuas (Jesuses) in the Brit Chadashah. There is Elymas bar Yeshua in Acts 13:6. There is an ancestor of Yeshua HaMashiach: the son of Eliezar, the father of Er in Luke 3:29. In Rav Shaul's letter to the Colossians in chapter 4, verse 11, there is a Justus called Yeshua a fellow worker of Shaul. Josephus, the famous Jewish historian mentions 20 different Yeshuas (Jesuses), 10 of which are contemporary with Yeshua HaMashiach. All together, at least 50 Yeshuas from his time plus about 9 in the Tanach have been revealed from Biblical text and other literary sources.

this is not exactly what i was looking for but i found this.

AWD OWNZ U
10-04-2005, 03:10 PM
I have a book on the historical evidence for Jesus somewhere. It's got all this kind of stuff in it IIRC.

AtifSajid
10-10-2005, 07:19 AM
lol..that pretty funny Paul...

In Islam Jesus name is Isa..Isa translated in English is Jesus...that was his name.

Stormhammer
10-13-2005, 12:46 PM
yea I know about the Yeshua thing

ever see The Passion? thats the name they refer him to

Kelly
03-15-2006, 02:49 PM
I know this is an extremly old thread but i just wanted to clear this up.

Here's the verse:

Luke 1- 30But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. 31You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus.